What's the best all around saw for work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My "work" consists of 10-12 cord a year that I cut on my land.
My new Masterminded ms261 is my go to work saw. Lightweight, powerful, easy to start. Cuts the crap outa 90% of my trees. An absolute pleasure to run.

Ok....so far most of the guys want a saw that starts easily, idles without loading up.....and in Scott's case is light.

I use a bunch of different saws.....most of the time they are one's I've just built and need to put some fuel through them for testing. Yesterday I dropped a 36" oak and bucked it up with a modded 385XP......really strong but damn that's a loud saw to be using for hours on end. I'm thinking of ways the mod a muffler that keep it quite but let it breathe.

That's what ear plugs are for.........

For me this an easy question to answer,when im working felling and blocking for days on end.
A ported 441R C with a standard handle
AV is smooth and no tingling,numb fingers,arms
Easy start system
Filter system cant be beaten
Low fumes and fuel use
No mucking around tuning with weather changes
Can block up non stop for 30 to 35 mins without stopping,cant do that with a 460,660
:clap::clap:

For me this an easy question to answer,when im working felling and blocking for days on end.
A ported 441R C with a standard handle
AV is smooth and no tingling,numb fingers,arms
Easy start system
Filter system cant be beaten
Low fumes and fuel use
No mucking around tuning with weather changes
Can block up non stop for 30 to 35 mins without stopping,cant do that with a 460,660
:clap::clap:

Interesting...I get all of that out of my old 046.

I use a chainsaw for firewood only and right now a PP365 is what works for me.It's light and well balanced and running a 20" bar with .325 full chisel it cuts anything I need it to cut.Modified Mark modded the muffler for me and that turned it from a so-so saw to a really good firewood saw.
:rock:

Nothing stand in the way of the pre-decomp 044 Stihl. If you got a 046, more power to ya. More of the same. They do anything realistic in this area.

I would have to agree so far on the PP 330 and the PP365. But I have this PP 335 that I dropped the cylinder on and widened the ports and directed the tops of the transfers toward the intake. The saw is compact light weight 54cc, 190 PSI, and runs a 20" .325 square filed chain on a 8 pin rim. This saw cuts fast, smooth, and straight in softwood or hardwood. Plus these saws have a good oiling system that is never a problem and easy to work on. I am afraid I like them so well I have 5 now. So Randy that is what and why I like it.

Roger

in my neck of the woods, i run everything from a hybrid 440, ms460, ms660, 385xp, 390xp all of which are ported and run a 28-32" full comp chisel ground chain. alot of my desicion depends on the ground and timber, how steep and size of wood. for any consistent timber averaging 36" and bigger I will usually run one of my ported 084's with a 36" full comp.

My favorite saw that I use more than any other is a Poulan 4000 with 20" bar. Second is probably PP Super 380 20"bar.
When I work on bigger trees, I will use a 4200 & or 5200. 24" -28" bars. Or maybe 385xp with 30" bar. Its also my milling saw.

The 4000 is my favorite, its versatile, Very reliable, powerful, 64cc, with 20"or 24". Not particularly heavy, at least to me. Easy as sin to work on and service. Great reliable and proven design. And I just like the way they look! :) I own 4 of them.

The 4200 & 5200 are the most fun, enjoyable saws to use for me. Just the raw torque & power, sound is fantastic. Especially when into big wood. I know I'm probably old school, thats just the way it is, and will remain.:msp_biggrin:

:cheers:
Gregg,

I have 50 Stihl saws....pretty much every size, but if I had to drop and buck up an entire tree around here (OK) with just one saw, I would go with an MS460/046. We don't have a lot of trees here over 28".

Tony

Depends on what work you are doing...are you getting firewood?Cleaning up around the place?Logging?Clearing trails? There are 3 saws that come to mind for these jobs...the MS290, 044, and the 660. The 290 is great for all round the place and clearing trails (at least for me). The 044 is an awesome firewood saw that is dependable, strong, and not too heavy. You could also use it for logging smaller stuff if you wanted. The 660 is the logging saw with its great power and durability. All these are great saws but thats just my opinion...

Don't want to start a new thread and this one is seeing plenty of activity:msp_biggrin: so the situation is this....

I am getting ready to build a retaining wall out of railroad ties in the next few weeks (before it starts to get warm). Im worried about running my saws thru a RR tie bc of the creasote (or whatever they are using in them). So I was thinking of either renting or buying something super cheap.What would yall do? I dont have a beater saw that I dont care about.

I read the early threads by the experts about the Earthquake saws so I went to get one at home depot and they wouln't take my 166, 797 or a Stihl 090 in trade so I just left them in the recycle bin and got the Eathquake. I feel much better now.

Really though, here in the PNW I'd say a good 70cc saw is very useful followed by a 50cc or 60cc saw.

Kind of depends on the timber, density of timber, size of timber, quality of ground.......How much weight do you want to drag around?

I'll take a 372/2171. Can do a lot with a 84 link bar, tough clutch, good af, good av.

But the 390 is always there when needed.

When I ran Stihl, 460's were the go-to. If I still did Stihl, I'd have a 461 in a heartbeat, awesome saw, just not my thing.

Back