whats the best silky handsaw for my job???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, those are too large of trees to be starting out on. I wouldn't send a new guy up a tree that size even with a handsaw and under supervision.

That being said, you have your work cut out for you. I would not even think about attempting to limb and top a tree that size with a handsaw... Just too much work. But hey, if that's what you want to do then by all means, go to town...

On the chunks: You will be dropping chunks, not blocking which is a term that means using an arborist block to lower chunks. I think you will find that it is going to be pretty difficult to push ten foot chunks over unless there is a pretty good lean on the trees. I usually keep it to around 4'-6' pieces once I get into decent sized wood. One option is to tie a rope towards the top of the piece and have someone pull it over if you want to take larger pieces. You can also notch the piece. I prefer to just take smaller pieces and use a snap cut but that's just me.

Sorry i didnt mention it before, i will have a rope to the top of the tree and ill have some one pull over the 10 foot section when i finish the cut...thanks for the support. Is it better to climb on the underside of a leaning tree or the top side?

You guys are just mean:) He probably called somebody to finish. Or his hands a still stuck to the silky and cant type.

Samuri saws

wespur sells a great brand of saw the samuri it is designed like a silky but 20 to 30 less $$$ i have the 15 in heavy duty model with leg scabbard and it is unbelieveably sharp i have used it as a machete when i needed to geet to the base of a tree that was surrounded in 6 foot weeds

Yeah wonder what happened?

FWIW, I am hooked on the Zubat, and I cut notches with it all the time, no problem.
Its a good fit for fine pruning and a bit of chop and drop...

I had just seen it in a recent sherrill catalog... made me think of this thread. It is advertised as a "green chainsaw".

Thanks everyone for their input! My silky ibuki is in the mail! I picked this one because it sounds like it rips wood apart. For those who were wondering, I'm going 2 be topping and removing my nighbors 100' firs this weekend so the diameter at the top is aout 8 inches. I know its going to be a grind with a hand saw but these three trees will be the first I've ever removed with climbing gear (also in the mail) and I know ill be more comfortable at 100' with a hand saw rather than a chainsaw! I'm going to hoist up my chainsaw after topping these monsters and put the hand saw away. This brings up another question I have: WHEN BLOCKING DOWN, SHOULD I DROP 10 FOOT SECTIONS (to get out of the tree faster) OR DROP REGUALR "ROUND" SIZED PIECES??? Please take into consideration my limited expirience with spur climbing...thanks!

Take lots of pictures! Want to see this, 100' is a good beginners tree! Just take 25' sections you'll be good! Do you have a good bow saw as well? Heard they are good for topping

To all of those that gave me advice and thought I died 3 years ago; I did not!!! I was able to remove my neighbors trees and since then have done more than a dozen other jobs with my tree gear and self-taught techniques. I became very popular with family and friends who had trees to remove but didn't want to pay professional prices. I've being adding to my gear collection over the years and love doing arborist work! I've hired on several friends to help me with the big jobs and have become rather efficient in removing trees despite my lack of proper "professional training" My silky has been put through hell and its about time I get a new one. However I am now considering upgrading to a top handle saw. Either the ms192tce or the husky t435 since they are very affordable and would only be replacing my silky for limbing... but I haven't made a decision yet. Anyways, buying tree gear and becoming a self employed amateur arborist has been a blast and has also helped pay for my college tuition!

I just came across this old thread I created in 2011 when I was 17 and decided to let all the haters know that I'm healthy and making great money in the tree business. Sorry if I took your job away ;) Happy cutting :)

The 192 gets my vote if you are part timing and upgrading from a hand saw. The 192 is a little lighter and better balance. It has less power but it will have enough power to get started.

When you need to squeeze a few extra trees in a day upgrade to the 201t.

Get hold of the catalog.
There are many tooth set ups available

As to which is best? A sharp one.
All Silky's are great. Beat the Barnels hands down.

I feel folding are good for ground workers who do a bit of pruning.
I have 2x Gomtaro's that I love. The only think wrong with the older ones was the scabbard. The saws did tend to fall out when climbing around in tight brush.
But Silky havd addressed this and redesigned the scabbard to resolve the issue.

The 192 gets my vote if you are part timing and upgrading from a hand saw. The 192 is a little lighter and better balance. It has less power but it will have enough power to get started.

When you need to squeeze a few extra trees in a day upgrade to the 201t.

Thanks buckmaster, I'm seriously considering getting the 192t since its just over $300 here. But then the slightly more powerful but a little heavier husky t435 caught my attention. I can't decide on which one to get. I'm leaving towards the 192 tho

if you think I'm a crackhead you are mistaken. Crackheads don't do tree work...and live to tell the internet about it 3 years later. You sound irritated.

No insurance, no worker comp probably cash jobs so no income tax. Probably don't have a truck or chipper either. You're no different than Jose with his family loading branches into the trunk of a Ford Tempo.

Go work for a professional company where you can learn the proper skills. At some point you're going to come to a situation that turns into a disaster quickly, with a tree going through a roof. Why does this always come to mind.

No insurance, no worker comp probably cash jobs so no income tax. Probably don't have a truck or chipper either. You're no different than Jose with his family loading branches into the trunk of a Ford Tempo.

Go work for a professional company where you can learn the proper skills. At some point you're going to come to a situation that turns into a disaster quickly, with a tree going through a roof. Why does this always come to mind.

Hahaha hilarious video! But nothing like my crew or I! Go ahead and make your assumptions on how we operate but I'll tell you: 1) we have a chipper 2) we don't do jobs where houses or property are close by 3) none of us are named Jose nor own a Ford tempo! (That comment of yours was dumb and inaccurate but funny, And 4) I do this job to make money for tuition so I can graduate college and get a better job in the future. Remember it's never too late to get a college degree, you poor grumpy arborist!

Latest posts

Back