What's the lightest saw in the 40cc class?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who wants to buy a new saw and "fix a few things" before you can use it???
That just makes NO sense!!!:dizzy::dizzy:

Mine required no fixing whatsoever. I put gas and oil in it, and it fired on the third pull out of the box. From what I read on another thread, it is a Redmax GZ400, the Redmax 40cc homeowner model manufactured in China from Chinese and Japanese parts. So, it's as much a Ryobi chainsaw as a Makita is a Makita chainsaw. We have to get over the Ryobi brand name thing, it's not germane.

Because it was made in China and I do my best to avoid Chinese goods (and I wouldn't have bought the saw had I known), I have a very light trigger and an itchy finger when it comes to this saw and will happily report any shortcomings I find. To date, the only real complaint I can manage is that the chain brake is too close to the handle, and it comes with a bar/chain setup that is ludicrous. I have run it almost daily since receiving it. It will pull a 16" bar with full comp LP buried (no mods) in locust and it starts very easily, oils well, and generally does about what you'd expect a saw this size to do with no fuss. Granted, 10 tanks give or take a week isn't the kind of beating a tree service would dish out, but the OP isn't a tree service either. If mine blows up you'll read it here first, but so far it hasn't skipped a beat. If its competition at $180 new is a Stihl MS180 then I would say that Ryobi/Redmax are taking a deplorable but canny approach in lowering their labor costs in order to offer a vertically split magnesium case and other "pro" construction features at the same price as a larger competitor's plastic-cased homeowner saw. Doesn't mean the R/R will outlast the Stihl, but if they made a plastic saw for $180, what chance would that have of competing with Stihl's reputation?

It is not on my agenda to promote this saw, to recommend its purchase, or to tell anyone that it is any better than any other saw. But when others have so much bad to say about it without any first-hand knowledge I feel compelled to report my experience.

Weight is listed as 9.5 lbs., dry powerhead only. I have no reason to disbelieve that, it seems very light.

Jack

Gets good reviews because a saw builder hopped one up. Not because they have been worked under daily working conditions. I'm sure that for $109 dollars you get $109 dollars worth. I have a buddy that thinks craftsmen is still craftsmen but I won't have one. Pretty much the same reason why my FIL the contactor uses milwaukee and not ryobi, more than just price. No offense i'm just not buying into this ryobi crap.

It got good reviews cuz it's built good and seems to be the same as a Redmax. Steve

You are correct on all points. But it tires me to see people saying they don't want a saw from a screw gun company, or it's just a piece of junk because it doesn't cost any more than a true piece of junk Crapsman. Take the colors and brands out of this and it would be a completely different conversation!

Right The Stihl and Husky cult would be crowing from early morning untill dark if one of their homeowner saws was built that good and could be bought that cheap. Steve

Once you fix a few small things? LOL:dizzy:

I've seen the home owner Stihls take some terrible beatings, just because they have a clam shell design doesn't exclude them from holding up. My local Asplundh guys just got MS210s a few months ago as their "small saw". You should see how those guys use them boogers. Asplundh cut costs instead of going with the 260s, as they have for years. Do you think they looked at a "roybi" to hand their crews? I mean it's $150 cheaper right???

Did you happen to read this thread?Lots of info there:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=101413

John,

I have two newer saws a 435 Husky (40.9 cc suppossedly) and a CS-370 Echo (36.3 cc). Both are stock saws with no mods.

If of interest to you the 435 has approximate weight of 12.20 lbs with 16" B&C (Husky bar .050 gauge, .325, H30 chain, 66DL) a weight of 12.34 lbs with 13" B&C (Carlton Timberchamp bar .058 gauge, .325, 28RC WP chain, 56 DL). Fuel and oil level in tanks was near full when weights were taken and bars and chains were all new. Both setups balance good on the saw. The 13" Carlton bar is very wide and looks odd, but this weight keeps the balance good. Cutting speed is fast with both setups. Don't know what I think of the chain adjuster to date as it is some type of composite, although it has worked fine to this point. With the .050 gauge semi-chisel NK chain the saw likes high rpms. With the .058 gauge chisel chain it seems to have better power band for cutting, but bar was 3" shorter and chain with 10 less drive links. Purchased the saw this year for $249.

The CS-370 has approximate weight of 12.23 lbs with 16" B&C (Echo bar .050 gauge, 3/8, 91v lp, 57DL). Also, the fuel and oil in tanks was near full when weight taken and the bar and chain were new. The CS-370 will not cut with the 435 for speed, but it is sturdy and has simple controls. It has a good forgiving power band. Purchased the saw this year for $239.

A little info on a couple brands for you, happy hunting.:cheers:

Have you pulled the caps and adjusted your CS370? When I got mine on the first tank I ran it against my MS170 and they were about dead even, not good. So I opened up the muffler and tried again with the same results, then I opened the high adjuster around 1/2 turn, cut times went from 15 seconds to 9 seconds . Makes my MS170 seem like a real turd now but it is 5cc smaller same as between your 435 and 370. Steve

It may be a redmax engine but I handled one at the home depot and if you think stihl is crap as far as plastic goes than the ryobis are paper. As far as the reviews go, I read the homeowner reviews. They weren't very imressive. As far as dealer support and sponsors on here, thats all fine and well except when you get your ryobi or redmax in the mail and a few things need fixed the average homeowner barely knows how to put on a chain let alone adjust a carb. Now what? back in the box and wait for Newman to bring you a new one. Case in point. My stihl dealer gets every other homeowner saw that average Joe bought back within a week because it wouldn't start, It was flooded. Fixed on the spot. My buddies wife bought him a new 211 that had a hairline crack under the clutch from shipping damage that the dealer missed, ten minutes later he had a new one and a gallon of bar oil for his trouble, No waiting on Newman. I could go on and on but I don't need to cuz i'm right. As far as the 180 being a piece of crap I would bet any stihl dealer will vouge that they are trouble free tough little bastards. Just because they don't get the stamp that a saw builder is looking for doesn't mean they arent solid. If they were to tear apart a 211 they would say the same yet it works every day and no issues. I'm gonna get a ryobi and use it not abuse it just to prove they wont last! I gurantee within a day that cheap a$$ little pull rope handle will be setting for repair or the oiler or clutch wont take the non stop rpm's it's gonna see. For $109 sure it's a decent value but I can't believe that the majority of the guys on here are gonna be happy 6 months from now. As far as buying a name, I bought three charboils before I smartened up and bought a weber, yet if you talk to a vermont castings dealer they will tell you I just bought a name. A name that 6 yers later is just as nice as day one! That is all!

One more thing. If they are so solid and well built why is everyone buying refurbished saws?

Have you pulled the caps and adjusted your CS370? When I got mine on the first tank I ran it against my MS170 and they were about dead even, not good. So I opened up the muffler and tried again with the same results, then I opened the high adjuster around 1/2 turn, cut times went from 15 seconds to 9 seconds . Makes my MS170 seem like a real turd now but it is 5cc smaller same as between your 435 and 370. Steve

No. I just was listing some info on the saws as stock. In the future I will probably do what you mention. Not a big deal to me. If its performance was bad, I would take it back or would trade/sell it. It hangs right in there with my other small saws.

One more thing. If they are so solid and well built why is everyone buying refurbished saws?

Probably both because of how they're built and how they're sold. How they're built meaning in China by people who have little idea what they are or how they work, resulting in problems like the fuel lines that are simple to fix but beyond the grasp of the average homeowner. How they're sold meaning in box stores where a guy brings a saw back and says "It quits when the tank is half full" and the girl at the return register says, "OK, here's another one." One customer could be good for two or three recons -- and probably a sale for Stihl or Husky in the end once he gets sick of going back to HD. As opposed to a saw sold by a dealer, who, in the best of all possible worlds, would respond to the same situation by looking over the saw and saying, "Well, here's your problem." I haven't seen any reconditioned Redmaxes for sale.

Huskystihl, all of your points are EXCELLENT reasons to buy a Stihl instead of a Ryobi. If a guy doesn't know his way around a saw, it makes sense to purchase with dealer support. Assuming you can find a supportive dealer. While a few people here have used the saws hard, they haven't established a track record, perfectly fair to say. If you do have a problem you have to ship it back and wait, that's a big deterrent, especially for guys who just have the one saw. Some of the plastic seems flimsy, and even plastic parts that work well (like the fuel and oil caps that seal perfectly on my saw) look and feel like they came in a happy meal. It's made in China, which is worth at least a couple of strikes to some people. I guess it gets us thinking what to do when Stihls are made in China.

So, that's plenty of reasons not to buy the saw, especially a reconditioned one. But those objections don't apply to everyone. I think getting one yourself and using it is fine, and will provide another point on the curve. If you're able to pull the rope right off the starter it won't break my heart. For the record, I'm not one of those saying to buy it instead of a Stihl. I am saying, though, that it's a lot more than I expected for $100. I'd bash it if I could do it fairly.

Jack

I ordered one last night and intend to use it heavily and give my MS250 a break. Interested to see how it will hold up for me.

My 242 is getting a bit worn and I want a new light saw with 13" bar. Just a saw to have in my car and be handy for small wood. I trust your judgement over the official weights of saws the companies comes up with.

J-red
Husky
Stihl
Dolmar
???

Regards John

There really is no current replacement for a 242xp, but my post will focus on the replacement part of it, and not the 40cc one;

The lighter pro saws, like the MS200 and Husky339xp have a lot less power, and is not options - nor are the non-pro 40cc ones.

The Dolmar 420 and the MS240 both are a match for cc and weight, but those also have quite a bit less power.

The closest you will get is the direct replacement for the 242, the original 45cc 346xp, and the MS260 (Euro 3.5hp version) - weight and power are both just a tad higher than on the 242.
The current NE (50cc) 346xp opens up both comparisons a bit more, but is closer in weight than in power.......

If you go the el cheapo route, just to have a small saw ready in the car, take a look at the MS211 and the Husky 435/440 - but I'd rather rebuild that 242..........

Last edited:
There really is no current replacement for a 242xp.

The lighter pro saws, like the MS200 and Husky339xp has a lot less power.

The Dolmar 420 and the MS240 both are a match for cc and weight, but those also have quite a bit less power.

The closest you will get is the direct replacement for the 242, the original 45cc 346xp and the MS260 (Euro 3.5hp version) - weight and power are both just a tad higher.
The current NE (50cc) 346xp opens up both comparisons a bit more, but is closer in weight than in power.......

Troll you left out the 361 and 372 ........:dizzy::dizzy:

I just knew you'd pimp the NE346......

So what exactly is the answer for Norwegian Wood supposed to be? Don't buy Ryobi/yes buy Ryobi? Kinda off topic with the here's my 2 cents on Ryobi bullsh!$!!!

Like I said before, go out try out what you want to and get what makes you happy.

I am glad to see all the passion though!

I'm as loyal to Stihl as any other in here but it will be a cold day in heck before I rely on a roybi chainsaw to do my work. I'll get a husky, dolmar, real redmax, echo, shinny, etc before spending $109 on that thing. What are ya'll going to do when you can no longer find the refurbs for $109? Ya'll going to pay $180-200 for it then?

None of this is being rude or offensive either, to anyone!:cheers:

when they come dressed as a husky they could be more than that

Back