What's the scoop on this sawmill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after sawing two nails into yesterday i'm about ready to try a rotary tool on some screwed up teeth (results of some of those free urban logs) woodmizer resharp culled some i sent with a few messed up teeth. do you guys that sharpen your own grind down these..........yeah, and how good do those metal detectors work on large logs?

Hi Ho ; I had several jobs splitting 200 yr old beams ---100s of nails and stuff. The coin/treasure detector will find an 8d nail at about 6-8" the comm. log type well do a lot better. all slow ,tedious work and a pain digging them out.
Best to look closly at butt logs 2'-6- from the ground and hope for the best on the rest //
heres a pic of a days work on the barn beams//
DSCF0006.jpg

after sawing two nails into yesterday i'm about ready to try a rotary tool on some screwed up teeth (results of some of those free urban logs) woodmizer resharp culled some i sent with a few messed up teeth. do you guys that sharpen your own grind down these..........yeah, and how good do those metal detectors work on large logs?

In bands like that, i find that if i "set" the teeth, and then sharpen normal, many times the band will still saw good enough to use. If not, i save it for those "trash" logs that i'm worried about using a good band on!

Hey EPA, save that metal... at $200.00 a ton scrap price, soon it will be worth more than the lumber... lol

Rob

I agree

Duane, not far up the road from you in Nacogdoches, LogMaster builds a small rig like your talking about. Might be worth a ride up to look in person. Then you can see first hand about the mill, the bands and just what it really costs to deal with them. My own opinion is these mills do not have nearly enough track deck under them, and that is the main reason they are cheaper.

Rodney

I have been to the logmaster facility and was quiet impressed with their small mill.....big wheels!!! Bigger wheels= less band breakage

Ok folks... I really appreciate all the insight each of you have provided me. After sitting on this whole idea of which mill to go with, crunching some numbers, the best deal for the money, along with power and structural integrity, I think I have concluded on a step ip from the smaller mill and decided on the NorWood Lumbermate 2000. Is there anything else you Norwood lovers need to let me in on with the LM 2000? I'm about to dive right in.

For what you said in your origional post that you want to saw, the Honda 13 would be the motor i'd get... That will save you some bucks, and it's also an excelent motor!

I'd get the winch log turner!! It really saves your back!

I'm not sure that you need anything else, except some bands... Get at least 10 bands with it to get you started...

Anything you want later, bolts right on!

Be sure and tell them Sawyer Rob on line helped you with your decision.. :)

Rob

Latest posts

Back