When figuring cost per cord, do you include Medical?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
And if so, just your co-pays or try and pro-rate you health insurance premiums?

Wasn't even that dramatic or traumatic dagnabit!

New Years Day I didn't have any competing priorities so I split and stacked about 1/4 cord (which involves splitting, putting in my garden tractor trailer, driving up to the deck, stacking on deck), and moved about 1/2 cord from a pile of split wood I won in a raffle -- put in trailer, drive up to deck, toss onto deck, after I had half a cord piled up stacked it.

Felt fine afterwards.

Friday had a crick in my neck at work, but nothing major.

Friday night hugged a date goodnight and went home with a spring in my step, still felt fine other than my neck crick.

Half hour later went to go to bed and holy hell this hurts from my neck, around my right shoulder, and down my right arm.

Monday I started a new job (yeah, boss at the old job made me work Friday after New Years...once I told him I was hoping I would have everything wrapped up Wednesday so I wouldn't have to file RI income taxes for one days wages in 2015...and he was smiling about it! "It's not too late, you can just show up here on Monday...")

And all week I suffered from lack of goodnights sleep, I'm having to use heating pads and ice packs in the office. Bored to death in the evenings as I just sit in my recliner resting alternating heat and ice.

Finally broke down and went to the walk-in clinic on Sunday morning and got a referral to Physical Therapy.

Had my first PT today which was *awesome* -- most likely it's just a knot in my muscle at the bottom back of my shoulder blade that's swelling and pinching a nerve. Which can be aggravated when you're doing a lot of turning your torso and lifting -- you know, like you're stacking firewood from a pile.

Still a small chance it's a vertebra out of alignment.

They did electric stimulation on my back for 10 minutes, and I was pain free for the next six hours. Hurting a little now, but far better than most days since the third.

And I get to visit the PT folks twice a week for the next month.

If we only count the co-pays it's still cheaper than oil :D

For what you have just described, I don't do medical. I do chiropractic! Try it sometime. I got lucky with my chiropractor, the guy is really good and worked wonders for me. But it also sounds like your doc is pretty good as well. I used to have back problems so bad that I had to walk all bent over sometimes, couldn't walk straight - damage I did to myself lifting heavy stuff for long periods with my back instead of using my legs to help out.

Likely it's a condition that has been building.

I think it's called getting old :D

Slightly more serious note, even a couple years ago I didn't have the stamina to do that much work, that quickly. If I had moved that much wood in a day, there would've been at least one long break in the midddle of it, and several sit-downs during. Go back three, four years ago I would've been taking Advil before I even started.

Lot of weight lost, and I just don't get inflammation from working now as long as I watch how much wheat I eat (it's not unusual for my daily wheat intake these days to be a doughnut with the morning coffee and some sandwich bread with dinner). If I slip back to a typical American diet for 3-5 days, the inflammation comes back.

This batch I worked continuously, my only breaks being the seat time moving the tractor.

Wasn't a lot of work, but I hadn't moved more than a 1/4 cord at a time earlier this season, and this new-to-me stove is so much more efficient I'm burning half as much wood as last year so I haven't been hustling as much as usual every weekend trying to keep up.

So yeah, I can believe it was mostly a sudden surge in activity my body wasn't accustomed to this year.

Sounds like everyday for me. The bad days I have to use a cane or the real bad days a wheelchair.
I use equipment to handle the logs and make firewood so it's generally not rough on my back.

Relax and take it easy .. Besides you got nothing to worry about because with obama care everything is fast and free

Yup, good news and bad,

The bad, new aches and pains showing up in places you didn't know you had.

The good, it's because your getting more active, the diet is working, and you have the desire to get out and push yourself more than you have in the past years.

Suggest you go across the street and get yourself a congratulatory / get well present.

In all honesty, if you need help / assistance during recovery, you know how to get a hold of me.

Take Care

If you want to good chiropractor, go see Gabe Thayer at Stafford Family Chiropractic on route 190 in stafford springs. He's the best I've seen yet. I moved to Norwich and I still go see him even though it's an hour away. It's well worth it when you do physical work.
Dan

Agree on the chiropractor. I been going regularly for 25 years. The guy I go to also uses cold laser therapy which is a miracle cure for inflammation. I've also slowed down some cause age is taking its toll.

With Snowmageddon: The Blizzard of '15 arriving in about 26 hours, I fortunately was well enough to repair my snowblower Saturday (which involved pulling out the auger assembly to replace a bearing).

Still taking being very careful, lots of breaks, massages, stretches & exercises the PT guys taught me, heating pads, and a $70 TENS unit I picked up at CVS. But at least I'm on the mend.

Was able to get the house stuffed to the gills this weekend -- got a month+ worth of the "cookwood" small splits I use to get a fast, hot fire going and a week+ of regular size splits.

IMG_1659.JPG

Of course I wish I could've finished moving the rest of the firewood up to the deck, instead it looks like in a week or two or three I'll have to be digging out the rest of my supply from under a few fet of snow.

BTW, the maps of the forecast just keep getting better...I'm in the "+" zone and if we get + down here, Swamp Yankee is going to be annihilated :D

10940581_418308504990854_8549976491007666639_n.png
I spoke with a few friends in upstate NY today. Sounds like a doozy IF you guys get as much as predicted. Seems east coast weather forecasters are worse than most when it comes to accurate accumulation totals.

TW, the maps of the forecast just keep getting better...I'm in the "+" zone and if we get + down here, Swamp Yankee is going to be annihilated :D

No idea what's coming,

but I drove the skidsteer home from the wood processing landing this afternoon. That one PITA maneuver, along with having to drive it back at some point, should reduce the snow accumulations considerably.

Take Care

No, I was just preserving it for evidence when you get around to telling some bs story to explain your post in the employment forum, where you claim to work 100-120 hours a week.

Jackwagon.

Sometimes it don't take much to pull something, one time i sneezed and turned my head at the same time and about damn near crippled myself, something in my neck popped and my head sat cocked to one side and i couldn't turn my move my head for about a week. I couldn't even lift it off my pillow lol

Latest posts

Back