Which 70cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brncreeper

brncreeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
aaf.jpg

'Nuff said.
Haha, yep.
View attachment 218055
attachment.php

JustinM

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Try out all of them see which one fits best.

Bingo.

I personally would rank them as:

441/440/044

7300/7900

This is based on my personal preference, which is ultimately the only thing any of us can give, despite what some other posters may try to label as 'fact.'
All of the above mentioned saws are terrific, professional grade saws that will work all day, every day for a looong time.

Last edited:
weimedog

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Bingo.

I personally would rank them as:

441/440/044

7300/7900

This is based on my personal preference, which is ultimately the only thing any of us can give, despite what some other posters may try to label as 'fact.'
All of the above mentioned saws are terrific, professional grade saws that will work all day, every day for a looong time.

Yes a familiar arguement..Ford (Husqvarna) vs. Chev (Stihl) vs...DODGE (Dolmar) :eek:uttahere2:

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
. AS Supporting Member.
Its impossible for any of us to define whats best for you, all we can do it pontificate at length about what we would do in your situation with our priorities and your money..:msp_wink:

My personal favorite saws include the Husqvarna 372XP, Jonsered 2172 (2171 too) and Stihl 441. The power heads all weigh in the 14 lb range on these saws, (the 372 a little less and 2172/441 a little more)

They all have very good vibration dampening systems and air filtration systems. They are all roughly in the same price range. The dealers can swing the price but expect to pay in the $800 dollar range out the door taxes included. Some a little more, some a little less. Those saws are selling in my area $775 plus tax at a local dealer.

I didn't put the 460 in the mix as I just like the 441 more because of the vibration and air filter systems. There are a LOT of folks who don't see those two things as important. Most of them are younger and stronger than I. After years of motorcycle racing & riding vibration means either a day in the woods or numb hands watching tv.

Dealers play a large role. The Jonsered dealer I work with, is in my humble opinion; one of the best there is. Period. I like the look of the Jonsered better than the Husqvarna. Its a toss up with the Stihl..so dealers was a huge factor in my decision. As did the look of the saw (all other things roughly equal). Price was better, but after I already had made up my mind.

The reason it was between three and not just two was, ( I wanted either a Stihl or Jonsered and was in the rationalizing stage for one vs. the other) I kept having a chance to run this 372XP (X-torq) and it kept surprising me with its power, lack of vibration, weight, just all things related to performance. I would run a variety of saws in a day, then run it and it was just an ass kicker! (A little noisier too) BUT..at the end of the day, the Jonsered got the pick for me. Still the best looking of the three and the 2171/2172's I had a chance to try were right there with the 441's and 372's, you could throw a blanket over all three's performance as they are a statistical match. (Damn..think I selected women that way too when I was younger...:msp_scared:)

That's it. See what dealers are available, try them to see witch one suites you better and get a 440... Just kidding... All 3 are great saws and will give you satisfaction. Just choose the one that feels the best in your hands. If you have a local dealer, you might also want to try a Dolmar.

timmcat

timmcat

ArboristSite Operative
If you can find a NOS 7900 go for it, you wont be sorry, its as light and easy to use as either H or S saws but 7 extra cc's of power.
Remember that there's no substitute for displacement.

BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok there's NOT ONE bad saw in the 70-80cc range.

Dolmar 7300, 7900

Stihl MS440, 441, 441C-M, 460

Husq/ Jonsered 372XP XT, 365XT, 572XP, 2166, 2172, 576XP AT

These are all saws worth owning, I would run any of them, it really comes down to

personal preference and dealer support.

brncreeper

brncreeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
We've got 1. a 440, 2. a 372, but not 3. Jonsered yet. Someone post up a pic of a 2171 or 2165 and we'll have order out of cahos.:laugh:

Latest posts