Which clutch tool for a 3120xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I’m putting together a Bailey’s order for everything I’d need to convert my 3120xp over to 3/8 chain. Looking at their website, I don’t see a clutch tool listed for the 3120. I don’t have the saw in front of me to look at, but I’m assuming it requires a special tool… is this something that needs to either be bought through Husky, or be hand made?

No special tool required, just a socket and impact wrench.

No special tool required, just a socket and impact wrench.

The best kind of tool, I wish they were all this easy!

What rim are you running on your 3120? Do you think the 3120 would pull an 8T okay with a 42" bar using square ground skip tooth chisel? I think I have a 7T on there now with the round ground .404 chain. Since I often use the saw with a 28" (which I'm sure it would be faster with the 8T), I was wondering if I could get away with just leaving an 8 pin on there full time rather than switching back and forth. Thoughts?

The best kind of tool, I wish they were all this easy!

What rim are you running on your 3120? Do you think the 3120 would pull an 8T okay with a 42" bar using square ground skip tooth chisel? I think I have a 7T on there now with the round ground .404 chain. Since I often use the saw with a 28" (which I'm sure it would be faster with the 8T), I was wondering if I could get away with just leaving an 8 pin on there full time rather than switching back and forth. Thoughts?
Yep, I think it was a 3/4" socket. I'm running a 7 pin sprocket for 3/8 ripping chain (on the mill), and 7 pin 404 chain on normal cutting. I don't think an 8 pin 404 42" would work well unless the saw was modded in someway.

Last edited:
Yep, I think it was a 3/4" socket. I'm running a 7 pin sprocket for 3/8 ripping chain (on the mill), and 7 pin 404 chain on normal cutting. I don't think an 8 pin 404 42" would work well unless the saw was modded in someway.

Okay, thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, why are you switching back and forth from .375 and .404? Why not just run the 3/8" (or .404") all the time rather than switching the sprocket?

Okay, thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, why are you switching back and forth from .375 and .404? Why not just run the 3/8" (or .404") all the time rather than switching the sprocket?
I'm still new to milling, from what I've read the narrow kerf works better and that is why I chose not to mill with 404. Otherwise, I like the 404 for its durability, it dosen't stretch as easy as 3/8 and the cutters handle wire and nails better. For some reason trees next to buildings collect nails. The switch over isn't too bad, the 088 and 084 get rotated in so 3120 sprocket changeovers don't happen often.

Socket and a piece of rope works fine.

I run 3/8 on my 3120 and 880 and like how fast it cuts as compared to .404, and run 7 pins with long bars (42 and up).

At the risk of catching heat, the first thing I think when I hear of someone using a short bar on a 120cc saw is I wonder if their chains are very sharp. With a sharp chain, a 660 or 395 is a laser sword with a 28 inch bar.

I can't remember what year you said the 3120 was. If it were mine, I would not run any jet smaller than 1.12 and some of them came with smaller jets than that. (Both of mine now have a 1.16 jet.)

Last edited:
3/4" and 19mm are pretty much interchangeable. ditto 13/16 and 21 mm. (two most common auto lug nut wrench sizes)

generally, metric wrenches (especially 6 point sockets) fit SAE stuff better than SAE wrenches fit metric fasteners.

best to have both.

Latest posts

Back