Which Husky 562XP or 460 Rancher ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullwinkel261

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Guys, first time poster here but have been lurking in the bushes for awhile.

My 34 year old Sachs-Dolmar has finally died of old age and it's time to give it a decent burial and move one to a Husky and I kinda have my sights set on a 562XP. Trouble is my little mom & pop country dealer here in West Virginia is isn't equipped to service the saws with the new technology and would like to see me running a 460 Rancher instead.

It's my understanding the 562XP is more of a pro quality saw while the 460 Rancher falls under the homeowner category . They're more than willing to sell me a 562XP and are not pushing the 460 Rancher in any way but are just advising me of their shop's capability.

BTW, the saw will be used on our 68 acres of poplar, oak and some locust for firewood and clearing trails on another 200 acres of roughly the same wood.

Thanks guys. Be gentle with me. :):ices_rofl:

Then go with a 372xp instead of the computer 562xp. I have both. You always can consider one of the porters on the site after the warranty is through is that is a concern. I place more confidence in the builders on this site than I do most Dealers. Landrum on AS is a Dealer and builder, best of both world IMO.

Shipping is cheap compared to an incompetent Dealer. Excellent choice.

Firstly you should use a site sponser for a good deal on a saw who will check it over and stand by you should you have troubles. l am sorry but it sounds like tha 'mum and dad' dealer perhaps won't be to usefull should a problem arise. Are you capables to do any service work? l just don't want you to disregard the 562xp because the local guy does not have proper diagnostic software. Heres the thing....the rancher is ok and does the job fine but the 562xp is one of the best most liked saws of all time.

Save some money and get a dolmar 7900! Will blast a 562 out of this university. Or as an alternative pricewise a 365xt. Very easy to convert to a 372xp.

My first though is don't let them talk you down to a Rancher.

I own a 460 Rancher and its a very good tool for me. I have never cut with a 562, but the Rancher is no substitute for it, plain and simple.

I think alot about getting a 562 and with lighter weight, full wrap handle bar, more power and good reviews it has got to be a good saw.

Save some money and get a dolmar 7900! Will blast a 562 out of this university.

Ok, 7sleeper, I'm calling you out...

I can do the specs myself and I'm sure others, but since you made a statement without going into that much detail, please explain to me... and others, I'm sure, "Why", the "dolmar 7900"... will "blast a 562 out of this university."

Of course I'll be on your side and believe you are intelligent enough to think they are CLOSE specs to begin with(weight, power, torque, etc) to make such a statement, because I KNOW you wouldn't be as NAIVE to think a statement like "My 2014 Dodge RAM will outpull your 1971 Ford Pinto!"... and think that's a relevant statement or even rational.

I look forward in your reply. Thanks.

StihlRockin'

I'd go with a 372xp then do a muffler mod and delete base gasket and you got one hell of a saw

Sent from my iPone using Tapatalk

Trouble is that the 372, 7900, 3120, and other suggestions are bigger, heavier, and bulkier than the saws he's looking at, and may not be what the original poster needs. Particularly if he's a one-saw-guy, in which case the same saw is getting used to fell, limb, and block up for firewood. Having tried both techniques - heavy, very powerful saw and lighter, fairly powerful saw - I'd definitely lean toward the latter option if it's going to be my main saw or only saw.

I will never understand why some people suggest saws other than what the OP is choosing between. Between those two, 562xp!

I'd like to thank all of you that posted with your suggestions and yes I'm kind of a one saw guy even though I have a few.

More to the point. I bought a ported 550XP from Terry Landrum. I'really diggin' the lightweight powerhead

Thanks again, guys

Having both a smaller, lighter 455 and a larger, heavier 385. it just depends on what I'm cutting on which saw gets fired up. Limbing and trimming gets the 455. The 385 comes out for the serious stuff. As for power, there's no comparison between the two. You made a good choice on that 550XP. NICE saw!

If your local dealer can't servive it then I see no reason to have any loyalty to them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 562 from one of the site sponsors. I wouldn't settle get the 562.

Latest posts

Back