Which Petzl Helmet should I get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm in the market for a climbing helmet. I want a petzl and have the choices down to the Ecrin Roc and the Vertex (husqvarna edition). Which would you go for?

We use the Ecrin Roc at my work and the climbers seem to enjoy them, but the helmet is not designed necessarily for tree climbing/work. Vented and has head adjustments on each side. This is their staple classic of their helmets Comes with a 3 year warranty and I found one for 95 shipped.

The Vertex is designed for tree climbing. Uses a knob in the back for adjustment. Non-vented (husqvarna edition). Has slots to add a shield or ear muffs, but I don't really care about that stuff. I wear ear plugs and sunglasses.

Links to both helmets:
http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/verticality/helmets/mountaineering-and-climbing-helmets/ecrin-roc

http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/verticality/helmets/work-height-helmets-0/vertex-best

So, what do you guys use and why?

I use the vertex vent because I like the ability to add ear muffs and face shield. I'm not a fan of earplugs, I like to be able to flip my hearing protection on and off easily. The face shield can get in the way but since I wear glasses and cannot don protective lenses without some big bucks I use it. I didn't choose the Roc because I couldn't add the shield and muffs but if you don't need 'em, give it a try.

Thanks, that thread helped. How much do the vents make a difference? Do you guys find the tightening system to work well? I'm thinking about taking advantage of the non-vented vertex (husky edition) for 80 dollars.

Hi

I have both, and I prefer the Vertex with the ventilation holes. Why? Cause its lighter. But both are good helmets with good comfort.

Both the ecrin and vertex weighs 1 pound, What sets the two apart is the head bands and vents. Like you said the vertex has a twist knob in the back, the ecrin has a dial on each side. One for the head band and the other for strap that goes around the back side of the helmet. I have used both while caving but not in trees, I like the ecrin for all of the vents but the vertex is by far cheaper. You can get the vertex with visor and muffs for 140chips verses 95 for the ecrin and another 85 for the visor and muffs that work with it. I imagine there are other visor and muff kits that work with the ecrin but I have not seen one. Don't quote me on this but I believe the ecrin is 1 once lighter then the vertex when they have muffs and visor on them. Hope this helps some.

Both the ecrin and vertex weighs 1 pound, What sets the two apart is the head bands and vents. Like you said the vertex has a twist knob in the back, the ecrin has a dial on each side. One for the head band and the other for strap that goes around the back side of the helmet. I have used both while caving but not in trees, I like the ecrin for all of the vents but the vertex is by far cheaper. You can get the vertex with visor and muffs for 140chips verses 95 for the ecrin and another 85 for the visor and muffs that work with it. I imagine there are other visor and muff kits that work with the ecrin but I have not seen one. Don't quote me on this but I believe the ecrin is 1 once lighter then the vertex when they have muffs and visor on them. Hope this helps some.

Yes, that helps. One question for ya if you don't mind. What head band system do you prefer?

Ecrin for me but thats like a harness its a personal choice. Petzl offers vent filler plugs for the ecrin also, Really nice in the winter if you sport a high in tight.

I bought the vented version prior to me doing line clearance work only to be told by my boss that its against OSHA regs..anyways..I got the peltor muffs and face shield..very comfy..love to climb with it..very light..I'm going to take off the face shield though..kind of a pain in the butt..I'm more in favor of mesh goggles or standard eye protection..cant live w/o the muffs while chipping brush though..ear plugs..ick..no thank you..hope that helps..

I have both...got them after my old SIP one needed replacing.

Vertex vent with peltor muffs and face shield, wore it for a year
Ecrin roc with peltor muffs and face shield, have been wearing it for two years

So which do I prefer?

The Ecrin roc gets it by a very slight margin.

Weight is virtually the same, ventilation the same, and the option to blank off the holes if you need to.
Muffs fit a bit better in the Vertex due to the space they put over the ears, Ecrin you have to bend the muff wires a bit to get them to fit closer (at least I did)

BUT...the Vertex headband does not go small enough for me, had to put extra padding in it...AND it sticks out a lot further from the back of my head so feels unbalanced...(mind you some people think I'm unbalanced anyway doing this work for a living...)

I like the adjustment system of the Ecrin roc better, I find I fiddle with it during the day, I swear my head swells in the heat...very easy to adjust.

In the end, they are very close...looks might be the decider for you, price might be too. They both do the job...protecting your nut!
Some guys think the Vertex looks, well, not manly enough...and they call women fashionistas!

Done here, go buy one!

FWIW the Vertex Vent is not electrical rated while the Vertex Best (non vented) is.

Well alot of good it does me NOW..LOL I didn't intend on doing line work when I originally bought the other one..its not like I can return the other one and switch it out..and I'm not gonna run out and buy another one..at $100 bucks a pop..unless the company is floating the bill(and they won't), I'll have to live with the Stihl grape cover I use for grindin stumps..oh well..

So, I'm in the market for a climbing helmet. I want a petzl and have the choices down to the Ecrin Roc and the Vertex (husqvarna edition). Which would you go for?

We use the Ecrin Roc at my work and the climbers seem to enjoy them, but the helmet is not designed necessarily for tree climbing/work. Vented and has head adjustments on each side. This is their staple classic of their helmets Comes with a 3 year warranty and I found one for 95 shipped.

The Vertex is designed for tree climbing. Uses a knob in the back for adjustment. Non-vented (husqvarna edition). Has slots to add a shield or ear muffs, but I don't really care about that stuff. I wear ear plugs and sunglasses.

Links to both helmets:
http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/verticality/helmets/mountaineering-and-climbing-helmets/ecrin-roc

http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/verticality/helmets/work-height-helmets-0/vertex-best

So, what do you guys use and why?

I've got both I'm using my Vertex vent as my daily noggin protector, and my Ecrin roc is neatly decal (ised) for walking sites etc. I've used both for climbing and for comfort I prefer the Ecrin rock and shall get another when I retire my sweaty vertex.

Well, I'm gonna go with the Ecrin Roc.:cheers: I can't wait to try it out and put some stickers on it. (I'm a sticker whore).:)

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice!:clap::clap: It seems the consensus is that both helmets are very nice and you can't really go wrong with either one. I choose the Ecrin for the various reasons: ventilation (husky vertex is non-vented), felt the ecrin head strap was a little better received, and the guys at my work use the ecrin.

Ya mon, good choice...mine is stickerized, arborwear and silky...
You will like the harness in the Ecrin, if you get the visor/muffs setup, just take the time to fiddle with them to get the muffs to seat properly.

Nuthin' like lookin' sharp on de job!:cheers:

I bought a few of those ecrins a while back at a caving convention for 40 bucks each, and 2 explorers for 150 each. I have a few white ones but there pretty beat up and muddy.

attachment.php

I bought a few of those ecrins a while back at a caving convention for 40 bucks each, and 2 explorers for 150 each. I have a few white ones but there pretty beat up and muddy.

attachment.php

I love that shiny finish. Mines drab dull white. Is that new? I can't believe epicklein got us fantasizing about new lids LOL!

Yep thats a new one from the petzl site, Its amazing how fast you can rough them up. Still has a little bling, the carbide lamp doesn't though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back