Which saw do you prefer???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I see most people in here have several makes/varieties of chainsaws, some I've never even heard of. In your opinions, which do you think stands out as best you've owned? This isn't really a pi55ing contest, but I'm curious. Myself, I know people that swear by JR, some by Stihl, some by huskies yada yada yada. I believe that most saw companies out there make at least one good saw depending on what your using it for. Hell, I used a cheap $150 craftsman for 2 yrs and that thing was bulletproof and did the job for me. I like my Stihls, but I also like a few Huskies. Never touched a JR, but from what I'm told, they are pretty much the same saw as a Husky? Any truth to that? Anyhoot, thanks for your replies...:pumpkin2:

It's pretty much whatever you like. I run the stihl 460 and have a logging business.we have pretty good luck with them for the all around saw..So I keep about three of them on hand.I like the same size saw so the parts will interchange if we have a promblem durning the day and can't make to the shop in time.

Just depends on what you are going to use the saw for. Each maker has a good saw depending on the size you are wanting. Each maker also has underpowered duds too. You just got to go with what you are going to use the saw for and get the saw best for your needs. Dolmar has 2 saws tops in 2 classes. Stihl has 1-2 saws tops in a class, Husky has 2-3 saws tops in their class. Then you got Older stuff that is really good like Partners, Echos, Jreds, and yes even the older Poulans were good. I would take my Poulan 305 49cc over a stihl 026 or 260, but then i would take the Partner 5000 and Dolmar 5100S over it. I would take my Blue Dolmar 7900 over the gutless stihl 440and 460. I would take my Stihl 066 over the husky 394,395. Hopefully you see what I mean and this is JMO.

Search

fishhuntcutwood said:
Stihl vs. Husky vs. Johnny Red...don't forget Dolmar and Echo either! :deadhorse:

Try a search man. This gets asked often, and you'll get the same answers this week that were given last week. Tons of good reading for you.

:popcorn:

Maybe I wasn't looking for the correct criteria... I searched but didn't really find what I was looking for. More of what I was wondering was, WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SAW????? Overall, of any saws you or anyone else have used, what's the one that just made you go, "ughhhh, that's really nice" The one I've like using the most was a Stihl O56 AV super with a 24 in Bar on it. We used it cutting oak logs for a couple yrs and have used it cutting Pine logs going to our mill for lumber. The chain break on that baby really saved my butt a couple times. But it was just an overall smooth running saw with tons of power. Stihl rated this bugger at 6.04 hp. I called them the other day and asked them about a few saws. The Stihl 041 is rated at 3.9hp, the 040 was 3.7hp, and of course the 056. I forgot to ask about the 020. Anyone know what this is rated at for hp???

fishhuntcutwood said:
Stihl vs. Husky vs. Johnny Red...don't forget Dolmar and Echo either! :deadhorse:

Try a search man. This gets asked often, and you'll get the same answers this week that were given last week. Tons of good reading for you.

:popcorn:
That's right, except for the Echo part.

The others all have some fabulous models, some good ones, and some not-so-good ones.......

Favorite?? Stihl MS361! :rockn: :rockn: :blob2: :blob2:

Last edited:
not a pissing contest, but here is my vote for my favorite stock saws by cc size

0-50cc= Dolmar 5100
0-65cc=Husky 365 or Jonsered 2165
0-71cc= Husky 372 or Jred 2171
0-80cc=Dolmar/Makita 7900
0-95cc=Stihl 066

these are just my choice of stock saws out of the box. For the record, Husky and Jonsereds have the same motor, but have differant angles for the handle bars. both are made at the same plant....

it got to be husky 242 or 353 :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :rockn: :rockn:

Freakingstang said:
not a pissing contest, but here is my vote for my favorite stock saws by cc size

0-50cc= Dolmar 5100
0-65cc=Husky 365 or Jonsered 2165
0-71cc= Husky 372 or Jred 2171
0-80cc=Dolmar/Makita 7900
0-95cc=Stihl 066

these are just my choice of stock saws out of the box. For the record, Husky and Jonsereds have the same motor, but have differant angles for the handle bars. both are made at the same plant....

Freak just tell us that you and cut4fun are the biggest fans of the Dominator Poulan Wildthingy..

It will blow the doors off any saw in any class..:clap: Forgot to mention with a rocked out chain...

Last edited:
There is a slight catch to running a saw from every saw breeder out there, the bars don't interchange.

For this post, CiscoGuy already has Stihl bars and chains for them, that 056 bar will bolt right up to an MS-460 . It would have to be a very sweet deal for me to run anything but Stihl and have every bar fit every saw, spare parts were mentioned also, even down to a bar wrench that fits everything is a little more handy.

On the cheep, I have an MS-310 that I will swear by! Bought it used (less then a gallon of gas through it) for cheep , muff-modded it, and have ran the h3ll out of it. Dollars per cord, would be another way to rate saws buy.

04ultra said:
Freak just tell us that you and cut4fun are the biggest fans of the Dominator Poulan Wildthingy..

It will blow the doors off any saw in any class..:clap: Forgot to mention with a rocked out chain...

Only the ones that run on Alky/nitro and wheat grain based fuels!

ShoerFast said:
Dollars per cord, would be another way to rate saws buy.

maybe, but you'd have to grade the cord wood also - is it all 6-8 inch wood, or, 30 inch rounds...??

In any case, my old 051 would win just because it's 30 years old and stihl going strong. Hey, with this type of saw we could also rate a saw on how may sawyers it went though:hmm3grin2orange:

ShoerFast said:
There is a slight catch to running a saw from every saw breeder out there, the bars don't interchange. ......
For todays premium brand saws, they mostly do, except for Stihl.....

ShoerFast said:
There is a slight catch to running a saw from every saw breeder out there, the bars don't interchange.

I call B.S. on this one... For a mere 5 bucks you can mount any bar to just about any saw....

attachment.php

This isn't a photo chop either. That is a 24" Stihl ES bar on a 7900. Oops, I forgot, Stihl labels their 24" bars as 25". This is the bar my 7900 runs most of the time. I have a 20" Stihl ES bar that I'll bolt on when the wood is small enough.

Freakingstang said:
I call B.S. on this one... For a mere 5 bucks you can mount any bar to just about any saw....

This isn't a photo chop either. That is a 24" Stihl ES bar on a 7900. Oops, I forgot, Stihl labels their 24" bars as 25". This is the bar my 7900 runs most of the time. I have a 20" Stihl ES bar that I'll bolt on when the wood is small enough.

Call BS if you want!

Thats just what I want, another flunky part just to chuck up a bar, seem handy to me!

But I think your on to something, running Stihl parts on anything else is a start!

Back