Which saw do you prefer???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freakingstang said:
I call B.S. on this one... For a mere 5 bucks you can mount any bar to just about any saw....

This isn't a photo chop either. That is a 24" Stihl ES bar on a 7900. Oops, I forgot, Stihl labels their 24" bars as 25". This is the bar my 7900 runs most of the time. I have a 20" Stihl ES bar that I'll bolt on when the wood is small enough.

There are adapters out for mounting Stihl bars on Husky mounts, but the other way around is more complicated.....:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

ciscoguy01 said:
Maybe I wasn't looking for the correct criteria... I searched but didn't really find what I was looking for. More of what I was wondering was, WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SAW????? Overall, of any saws you or anyone else have used, what's the one that just made you go, "ughhhh, that's really nice" The one I've like using the most was a Stihl O56 AV super with a 24 in Bar on it. We used it cutting oak logs for a couple yrs and have used it cutting Pine logs going to our mill for lumber. The chain break on that baby really saved my butt a couple times. But it was just an overall smooth running saw with tons of power. Stihl rated this bugger at 6.04 hp. I called them the other day and asked them about a few saws. The Stihl 041 is rated at 3.9hp, the 040 was 3.7hp, and of course the 056. I forgot to ask about the 020. Anyone know what this is rated at for hp???

Jeff wasn't trying to avoid your question... If you just go back about 3 or 4 pages into the chainsaw forum archives... this question was already asked. Then if you dive in a few more pages back. It was asked again... and again... and again.

No disrespect was meant... it's just the topic is rehashed here a lot.

BTW... Love my MS361, but my favorite "modern" saw is the 044. Even though I don't own one.

Gary

Just grind that hump off your Stihl studs and you can mount the large Husky bars right up, oh, My Makita/Dolmar bars too, which are large Husky mount HU, I think.

Cut4fun said:
Just grind that hump off your Stihl studs and you can mount the large Husky bars right up, oh, My Makita/Dolmar bars too, which are large Husky mount HU, I think.
Yes, but the chain tentioner screw will mess it up (at least on some saws), and you will not be able to use the stihl bars any more, without replacing the studs.

I didn't say it is impossible, just a bit complicated.....:greenchainsaw:

GASoline71 said:
Jeff wasn't trying to avoid your question... If you just go back about 3 or 4 pages into the chainsaw forum archives... this question was already asked. Then if you dive in a few more pages back. It was asked again... and again... and again.

BTW... Love my MS361, but my favorite "modern" saw is the 044. Even though I don't own one.

Gary

Yea dude, I'm actually buying an 044 right now. It's got about 10hrs use on it probably. Older gentleman that said he couldn't really handle the weight anymore. I'm buying it for $400. Not sure if that's a good deal or not. Either way, when I get this one I'm going to take it up and run it against a couple little jonsereds. Another braggart that swears by'em. Hope he sharpens his chains that day...

GASoline71 said:

Gary

Yea dude, I'm actually buying an 044 right now. It's got about 10hrs use on it probably. Older gentleman that said he couldn't really handle the weight anymore. I'm buying it for $400. Not sure if that's a good deal or not. Either way, when I get this one I'm going to take it up and run it against a couple little jonsereds. Another braggart that swears by'em. Hope he sharpens his chains that day...

GASoline71 said:

Gary

Thanks Gary. You're absolutely correct. I wasn't being inflamatory, but rather steering him towards tons of good info already disseminated. But this will likely end up being a 10 page thread anyway!

My sig says it all. Those are the saws I like.

I like the ones that give the least trouble! You kow, the ones that start within a few pulls EVERY time you pick them up! (sharp chain helps too!)

Around here that's my 034 super, and 084. 064 is a bit of a problem child.

At work that's anything EXCEPT!! an 038.

Used to have a 242 that was amazing, but someone else wanted it worse......

woodfarmer said:
yea dude, run your 044 against a 2171 and then get back to me

So that really like a pretty comparable saw to the 044 I believe. They're both at like 5.4hp. I ran my buddy's 2171 and it seemed the same way as my 266XP, lots of high end, good power, but when we put it through some 30 or so inch oak it bogged down. I don't get it. Maybe I'm not running them lean enough. It seems every husky or JR I run bogs down in the big wood. We're gonna try'em both and see what we find. Course I am rough on a saw, I really use those dogs alot when I'm cutting.

ciscoguy01 said:
So that really like a pretty comparable saw to the 044 I believe. They're both at like 5.4hp. I ran my buddy's 2171 and it seemed the same way as my 266XP, lots of high end, good power, but when we put it through some 30 or so inch oak it bogged down. I don't get it. Maybe I'm not running them lean enough. It seems every husky or JR I run bogs down in the big wood. We're gonna try'em both and see what we find. Course I am rough on a saw, I really use those dogs alot when I'm cutting.

dont lean on the saw or try to press it trought wood, just let it sink in it and it wont bog down (assuming you have sharp chain)...

ciscoguy01 said:
I don't get it. Maybe I'm not running them lean enough. It seems every husky or JR I run bogs down in the big wood. We're gonna try'em both and see what we find. Course I am rough on a saw, I really use those dogs alot when I'm cutting.

Husqvarna is known for building saws that make their power through speed, often at the expense of torque. They are also known for having a peaky powerband that benefits from a light touch and a bit of finesse.

Your profile shows that you've got a couple older Stihls, so I'm guessing that you're used to having more torque at your disposal and that you put this torque to good use, really dogging in and all. I don't think you'll find that this technique works especially well with the Husqvarnas.

If you really prefer torquey saws, just stick to running the classics, or at least with running modern saws that have wide, torquey powerbands. Nothing wrong with that - you're going to be most efficient when your cutting technique and the machine you choose to run are properly matched.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a modern saw that would continue to pile chips as happily as this saw did when being forcibly levered into the wood:

October_GTG_04Small.jpg

I have an old 044 Stihl and it rips. It wines up so high it sounds like it will blow. But it never has in the two years i have owned it.

Stihl 090, my all purpose saw. I haven't met anything that bogs it out yet!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I reckon

computeruser said:
Husqvarna is known for building saws that make their power through speed, often at the expense of torque. They are also known for having a peaky powerband that benefits from a light touch and a bit of finesse.

Your profile shows that you've got a couple older Stihls, so I'm guessing that you're used to having more torque at your disposal and that you put this torque to good use, really dogging in and all. I don't think you'll find that this technique works especially well with the Husqvarnas.

If you really prefer torquey saws, just stick to running the classics, or at least with running modern saws that have wide, torquey powerbands. Nothing wrong with that - you're going to be most efficient when your cutting technique and the machine you choose to run are properly matched.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a modern saw that would continue to pile chips as happily as this saw did when being forcibly levered into the wood:

October_GTG_04Small.jpg

I guess I'll just stick with the older saws. I got used to the 056 Magnum's we used to run. We were cutting oak logs, I could pretty much stand on that thing and it wouldn't even budge. It's quite a bit bigger than what I've been using now though and a whole lot bigger than the JR they were talking about. I'm going to get one and give it a test drive, prolly borrow my buddy's saw and see how it goes. I tested my Stihl vs. my Husky today to see what kinda results I'd get with a straight cut on a medium sized log. I cut a 16" northern hard maple. The Stihl ran through it in just under 9 seconds, that's a 4hp stihl 041 Farmboss AV. The Husky 266XP is a 4.5hp saw, took it 11 seconds, brand stinking new chains on both of them. After reading your article I gotta say I think your right. The problem is I don't really know how to break myself of the habit. When I get that 044, later this week we'll see how that runs. I think it was said earlier. Everyone makes a good saw if you don't have to fix it very often and it does the job you want it to do. I.e. most people like harleys, but you wouldn't buy one to drive 150mph down the road, but you'd prolly want one to haul a big fat chick if you had one, lmao. Bad analogy, but I'm sure you get the point. One thing I gotta point out is, Where's all the 30 yr old saws at? I see a ton of Stihl's, but where's the 30+ yr old JR's and Husky's? I never hear anyone talking about them. Anyone have any older JR's or Husky's? How long have they been around and how come more people weren't using them back then? Not that they are bad, the 288XP is probably one of the nicest saws I've ever used, its light, excellent power, not torque but power, cuts fast as $hit, Husky's anti-vibration technology is probably one of the best, hands down in the business. Anyhoot, someday I'll own a new saw, but for now, I'll buy my old used ones and be happy just to be able to cut and split wood every day that I can... I'll fill you in when I try out the 2171 against the 044.

ive got this 242xpg, and its around 15-20 years old, running like a dream still, handleheaters and all working and original jug and piston....

Handleheaters?

blis said:
ive got this 242xpg, and its around 15-20 years old, running like a dream still, handleheaters and all working and original jug and piston....

Are you serious? I've never even heard of them. Do they use them up in AS or something?

Back