Which Saw Should I get? 400C-M, 500i, 661C-M?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbj

Reaction score
Well my Stihl 291 got pinched out of my tool box, and as a result I'm in need of a new saw, and decided why not upgrade to something a bit bigger, now I use a 500i, 661C-M and an 880 at work and they're fantastic saws, but they're big, and considering what i use my personal saw/s for which I'd like you guys opinions, now I'm not a small bloke, I'm a strong 6'3 farmer, I'll be cutting mainly firewood, little clearing, trimming and what not around the farm, I'm in Australia so what I'm cutting is generally very dry, and/or very hard, such as red gum, red box, iron bark, I'll be using tungsten chains, and probably an 18"-20" bar usually, So i guess the question is what saw do you guys think i should be getting, I'm not opposed to getting another saw or two in a little if i do end up cranking up my firewood business, I'll also be wanting to take the saw camping with me when i go 4x4ing, but i can also look at a smaller saw for that purpose too if that would be more suited.

You don't mention the 462 in your list. My choice would be the 462 or 500 for that wood you blokes have down under. I have a 400 and it's a good running saw but you may want a bit more power. I have a 462 also and it definitely cuts a bit better than the 400. Sucks about your 291. Good luck mate.

If the 291 was working I'd go with the 400. It's bigger and faster than the 291 but lighter than the others. I'm a big dude too but the older I get the more my back and shoulders appreciate a lighter saw. It's no mini saw and it will be more comfortable to run.

We have all 3. All are great saws and a big bump from a 291 so I think you would be happy with any of them. You wouldn't want to run more than a 24 in bar on a 400 if you even need something that big.

Between the 3 if I'm just doing general bucking and felling I choose the one with the sharpest chain!

I would likely get the 500i, as it has more power for the crazy hard wood in Australia. The 462 would be a close second choice, it has a great filtration, which I know is needed down under, but the 462 lacks a little grunt when compared to the 500i, however if you were happy with the 291 you'll be thrilled with a 462.

the 592xp Husqvarna wood be my choice ...more power than all saws listed and lighter than the 661 .....................:p
The 592 has slightly more power. I really like both the 661 and 592, you can't go wrong with either one IMHO. Both saws had empty tanks, the 661 had been run, and the tanks emptied. The 592 had never been fueled or ran.
60b8a6b1132a55d2180fcb03ed15c35e.jpg
944062b601858dded7abff5e9b10296a.jpg

I hear negative things about the stock air filter on the 500i.
400 and 462 have great stock filter systems, (maybe the 661 as well, idk).
My personal opinion on the 400 is that it makes all my other saws from 50cc to 75cc kinda obsolete.
To me, the 462 makes the 362 and 400, and all other 60cc and 70cc saws nearly obsolete. The 500i and 7900 are closer to 80cc, so those still definitely have a place.[emoji3577]

Well my Stihl 291 got pinched out of my tool box, and as a result I'm in need of a new saw, and decided why not upgrade to something a bit bigger, now I use a 500i, 661C-M and an 880 at work and they're fantastic saws, but they're big, and considering what i use my personal saw/s for which I'd like you guys opinions, now I'm not a small bloke, I'm a strong 6'3 farmer, I'll be cutting mainly firewood, little clearing, trimming and what not around the farm, I'm in Australia so what I'm cutting is generally very dry, and/or very hard, such as red gum, red box, iron bark, I'll be using tungsten chains, and probably an 18"-20" bar usually, So i guess the question is what saw do you guys think i should be getting, I'm not opposed to getting another saw or two in a little if i do end up cranking up my firewood business, I'll also be wanting to take the saw camping with me when i go 4x4ing, but i can also look at a smaller saw for that purpose too if that would be more suited.
661, then if you want a little saw get a 462

Well sounds like the 400 is not my answer, I think the idea of a magnesium piston interested me, certainly sounds like a 500 or 661 should be what I look at, and then maybe a 462/400 later on
Why not a normal chain? 20” timber the 70cc class will do well. 046 / 460 / 461/ 462. Don’t discount the older models with unlimited coils and fully adjustable carbs.
because the normal chains dull to quick in the hard timbers here, especially in red gum thats been felled a while ago and is dirty, a normal non tungsten chain is dull in a few cuts.
In terms of an older saw, I do really want an older saw to maybe restore/rebuild and just learn a bit more and then also because I have a habit of collecting things, might have to start another thread on whats a good first old saw to start my collection, and learn how to restore/rebuild

Well sounds like the 400 is not my answer, I think the idea of a magnesium piston interested me, certainly sounds like a 500 or 661 should be what I look at, and then maybe a 462/400 later on

because the normal chains dull to quick in the hard timbers here, especially in red gum thats been felled a while ago and is dirty, a normal non tungsten chain is dull in a few cuts.
In terms of an older saw, I do really want an older saw to maybe restore/rebuild and just learn a bit more and then also because I have a habit of collecting things, might have to start another thread on whats a good first old saw to start my collection, and learn how to restore/rebuild
As long as you’re happy, that’s all that really matters, though hopefully some of the Aussie’s will come in soon and share their advice. I’m in WA, what state are you in?

For the hard wood the OP will be cutting, get a Husqvarna 572.
And get a 261 later for the smaller wood and taking camping.
Hard wood will be sore on the case of a 462, the Husky is stronger.
That wood is like steel.

The 592 has slightly more power. I really like both the 661 and 592, you can't go wrong with either one IMHO. Both saws had empty tanks, the 661 had been run, and the tanks emptied. The 592 had never been fueled or ran.

Andre, I know you have ran a 390xp. How does it compare to the saws discussed above?

Andre, I know you have ran a 390xp. How does it compare to the saws discussed above?
Stock the 390 is kind of week. Ported, I'll likely take the 390, simple and easy. The 592 reminds me of a well ported 390, so I'd go 592 if I were to keep the saw stock.

I'm undecided on the 661 vs 592. I like the engine on the 592 a hell of a lot, but the 661 is laid out nicer, cleaner IMHO. The 592 has wires, primer fuel lines, and separate strato throttle body, it's a lot of stuff packed into a small space. Too early to tell on durability, it took Stihl what, six or seven years to get the 661 straightened out.

.....According to stihl and Husqvarna web sites it's a whole "two" ounces difference in weight .......

Latest posts

Back