Which saw should I get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my dad has an old husky rancher ,its okay sure and fairly close in performance to my 290 but the new husky models are cheesy and they are basicly polouns with a higher price tag (40-50$) for a less quality saw IMHO ,the stihl 290 is made in amercia (virgina) by english speaking humans . becuase of the way its marketed you dont get the knockoff junk they put in the box stores and they arent cheapened up or epa restricted like the E tech junk husky makes .youll have expert advise and all the oem parts accessories tooling and repair work available at your local dealer .some companies have slave labor making these saws for 20 cents an hour by people who dont care about quality . if you have a problem or need a part or accessory for the husky the local homedepot or tractor supply cant help you or even know what your talking about ,i dont want a kid with zits and a orange apron messing with my power equipment .i will say husky has nice pro series saws $ and the older european ones were good as well ,but get your wallet out

Last edited:
I think I am correct in saying...and if I'm not please someone correct me...but in fear of me being called a chainsaw snob I want to point something out just so that everything is proper. A 55 Rancher and a 455 Rancher are not the same saw. The 55 is an older version of the 455. There I said it...I am now a snob.

Being that I have run both the Stihl and the Rancher, I would recommend that you buy the 5100 Dolmar. Since I know your price range given the saws you show an interest in, I would go for the Dolmar. It is a screaming machine. Cheaper too. Just a little bit cheaper but certainly all the saw the Farmboss and the Rancher are.

My 2 cents.

Makita anyone?

Well, as long as we are at it, take a look at this puppy:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=DCS+510+20&catID=

The Makita DCS510 is made in Germany and I am told that it is a whale of a saw for the money -- $370 and free shipping from Baileys for Xmas shoppers.

Then for $500, you can get the Makita DCS6401 which moves you into a 64 cc engine instead of 50, together with professional features. It's a beast.

Last edited:
Well, as long as we are at it, take a look at this puppy:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=DCS+510+20&catID=

The Makita DCS510 is made in Germany and I am told that it is a whale of a saw for the money -- $370 and free shipping from Baileys for Xmas shoppers.

just cause it says made in Germany doesnt mean much.. the shamwow was made in Germany too...

i paid $399 for my 310 with 18" bar dealer down the road more saw and dealer support for a little money

kinda tough to get support for any online purchase

"kinda tough to get support for any online purchase."
----------------
Agreed, but if the saw is made well, you won't need support. In two years of heavy use, my Stihl MS361 has never made it back to the shop where I bought it.

I've never used a Makita, but I have also never heard anyone trashing them here or elsewhere.

Welcome to the forums! You will hear more advice on saws than you can imagine. So with that none of us can decide for you. You will be swayed to & fro much like a GM vs. Ford vs. Chrysler vs. Toyota debate.

Bottom line is to take up the offer that forcedintoit extended to you. Run a few saws, get a feel for what you like and keep in mind the logistics for dealer accessibility and parts availability. This first saw purchase is important as it can form your buying habits for life!

Take your time and keep us informed--- it's always nice to see what decision was made and how you came to the final decision. Good luck!

dunno if you've figgered this out yet, but it keeps coming up sorta...

if you're looking at a husky, you're also looking at a jonsered.
if you're looking at a makita, you're also looking at a dolmar.

then there's echo and solo.

hook up with your neighbor (the one who posted here) and run some different saws (even if they're all the same color). more power is always going to feel better, but it usually weighs more and nearly always costs more. power is thrilling and money is replaceble, but fatigue is dangerous.

i like a long-lasting product. if i buy pro saws i really don't ever have to worry 'bout wearing them out. if i buy used pro saws, i can get parts. if i buy a pro saw at a proshop--then my saw is tuned (break-in) and retuned once for free and i am supporting a local independent business.

if i'm in your shoes, i'm buying at the most popular local saw shop--no matter the brand. and opting for the professional level saw.

then back to my initial reply--get good at sharpening the chain. buy the best files by the box and focus on one aspect at a time. it all comes together eventually. the saw with a properly sharpened chain always cuts faster and better and reduces stress on the saw and the user. can i get an a'men?!

so, whatcha gettin?

Last edited:
dunno if you've figgered this out yet, but it keeps coming up sorta...

If you're looking at a husky, you're also looking at a jonsered.
If you're looking at a makita, you're also looking at a dolmar.

Then there's echo and solo.

Hook up with your neighbor (the one who posted here) and run some different saws (even if they're all the same color). More power is always going to feel better, but it usually weighs more and nearly always costs more. Power is thrilling and money is replaceble, but fatigue is dangerous.

I like a long-lasting product. If i buy pro saws i really don't ever have to worry 'bout wearing them out. If i buy used pro saws, i can get parts. If i buy a pro saw at a proshop--then my saw is tuned (break-in) and retuned once for free and i am supporting a local independent business.

If i'm in your shoes, i'm buying at the most popular local saw shop--no matter the brand. And opting for the professional level saw.

Then back to my initial reply--get good at sharpening the chain. Buy the best files by the box and focus on one aspect at a time. It all comes together eventually. The saw with a properly sharpened chain always cuts faster and better and reduces stress on the saw and the user. can i get an a'men?!

so, whatcha gettin?

Amen Wade,,,,, AMEN!!!!!!

If you act quickly you may still be able to find a new MS361 on the shelf. The replacement MS362 is now replacing the 361. The MS361 is a great powerful all day saw,, Smooth and powerful , and will serve you well for many years,, Find the MS361 and dont look back.. :chainsaw:

"If you're looking at a makita, you're also looking at a dolmar..."
----------------
Interesting. Wonder how far apart the two factories are in Germany?

Anyone know? :popcorn:

Same factory, same line. Just a different color of plastic.

Welcome to CAD Shane. You don't know it yet, but once you buy a quality saw, more will follow....so don't let this decision be too tough, you will get the fever and buy another and another and another!

Kidding aside, one mistake that I have made is buying too long of a bar. It throws the balance off and makes for a longer day if you don't need it. Better plan, buy the shorter bar of choice, and an additional longer bar when you find yourself needing it. With RSC chain of course. My guess is if you are making firewood, not over a 18" bar would be enough, and possibly 16".

I run a 16" on the 361 and 20" on the 066 Magnum. Sure sometimes I have to walk around to finish the cut, but for what I do, mostly firewood, the 16" is just right. AND the shorter the bar the more power your saw will have! That's the fun part I like, making firewood with a 066 and a 20" bar. Sure don't have to worry about being passed in a cut!

These guys are right on with the Dealer support. It is invaluable when you have a problem, but with either Orange you most likely won't if you spend time on here and reap the wisdom of these experienced wood cutters like I have. This is a great community.

Saw safe, let us know what you decide!

:chainsaw:

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I am looking to buy a new chainsaw. There are two models that seem to jump out at me. The MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS and the Husqvarna 55 Rancher. It's almost impossible to make the decision on my own, but everything I've read says it's based on bias. Any help out there?

Thanks in advance.

Shane[/QUOTE

Well now you know you will need another saw to cut the first one out when you get it pinched. I suggest one of each.

Well now you know you will need another saw to cut the first one out when you get it pinched. I suggest one of each.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i tell people i carry two or three saws so i can keep from getting any one saw too hot and extend my run time between fueling sessions.

i _don't_ tell them that sawing out a pinched one is much easier than chopping out a pinched one. that's our little secret.:chainsawguy:

Thanks a lot for all of the feedback. I've done a lot of looking and think I'm going to go with the stihl 310. Bit more HP and chain size, and I have a McCulloch I use for cutting smaller stuff. I don't cut wood every day, but I work in the Agricultural business so I have access to quite a few places to cut. We burn quite a bit of wood through the winter living here in Southern Michigan. I do appreciate everything. I just bought a 12lb Truper splitting maul that seems to do the right thing. The 8lb maul I was using just seemed to be getting too light these past few weeks.

Shane

Good choice in manufacturer. The Dealer network is great. Re-sale is #1. As I said before, any Orange with a good Dealer and you can't go wrong.

Let us know after your first cord or two what you think.

Back