Which saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't want it to turn into the Stihl vs Husky thread, but I just was wondering which one I should get when the funds allow?

I like Huskys and have never used a Stihl. I plan on doing firewood on a year round basis when time allows. More than 10 cord a year if possible. I want a saw that won't bog down on me when I'm making a cut, but wont also break the bank. Nothing over $700!

I like the huskys. They seem to have a better center of gravity and the balance is right. I use an old McCullough saw and I just out a new plug and air filter and chain on it. It cuts like a beast now, better than before. I dunno what the spec are on it, but I believe it has a 24" bar on it. Sometimes I'll make a cut and the saw will bog down on it. Plus, it I dont own the saw. I want one of my own, and I dont want to be fatigued after using the saw for a while.

Family friends saw is an old husky with a new bar and chain on it and carb rebuild. Its plenty sharp and its so light and quiet its such a pleasure to use compared to the McCullough.

I was thinking about the 455 rancher from Husky, but not sure if it can handle the volume I want. A guy recommended me a 375xp I think.

What do you guys think?

If you want to run a 24" bar and not bog easy you need a 372xp or maybe 576xp. They can be had for around $700-800.

Now thats a sight!

A 24" bar on a 455 is a tad much me thinks! I agree a 70cc saw would pull a 24" bar the best so the 372xp, 576xp, ms441, ms460 are top choices. New these saws are slightly more than 700 unless u can find a deal. Another option would be a ms362 or 357xp. Those are slightly smaller saws but would get the job done and do everything better than that 455. Used the options are endless for that price range.

Any of teh saws mentioned would work well. I think I would set my sights a little higher than the Rancher unless you are still tentative on a long term commitment then it would be a good saw to get your feet wet with so to speak. The Husqy 359 is also a very good saw and about as small as I would go to run a 24" bar.

If I could only keep one it would be my 359 with strong temptation to keep 372

If two I'd probably keep my 345 and 372.

Ultimate pair would be 346xpne and 372 or MAYBE 576 but I haven't run the 576 yet.

I know the two is well over your budget, but something to consider in your planning. Maybe start with a 346xp at $500 and add a larger saw later if necessary?

Last edited:
Have you considered the Makita DCS-6401? Great saw for the woodpile and it can run a 24” bar. I think the site sponsor Baileys sells them for about $500 or so. If you would like to try it before you buy it, you can rent one at Home Depot for ½ a day. Made by Dolmar for Makita, these saws are built like a dump truck. Anything that can survive in a rental fleet has got to be one tough bird. You can also easily upgrade the saw in the future by swapping out the stock cylinder and piston for a 79cc job effectively creating a dolamr 7900. Parts are easy to come by and everything can be purchased on line. Unfortunately, in stock form, they are heavy for the given displacement but it will get you into the game. Good luck with your choice.

I would find a used 088/880 stihl or a 3120 husky. They tied each other for the title of "Most likely not to bog in a cut".

:agree2:
Might be alittle more than 700 though!
Great for limbing all day:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hey guys, I don't want it to turn into the Stihl vs Husky thread, but I just was wondering which one I should get when the funds allow?

Nothing over $700!

I was thinking about the 455 rancher from Husky, but not sure if it can handle the volume I want. A guy recommended me a 375xp I think.

Isn't the 455 Rancher basically a "throw-away-when-done" saw with a plastic crankcase?

Why is your search limited to Stihl and Husky? Not trying to start a brand-war, just curious about your reasons.

I've been cutting wood for over 40 years. Also worked as saw mechanic for many shops that sold many brands. Also worked as a logger and climber.
None of this makes me an expert, but I will give my personal opinion.

Back when Homelite and Mac were making pro-saws 60s-70s, we were leary of imports like Stihl, Sachs/Dolmar, Partner, etc. Some Partners and Huskys were the same saws at one time. Funny how things change. Stihl got all it's saw patents taken away because of Germany losing WWII.
Yet, Stihl somehow made a comeback. In the 80s, Stihl became our #1 seller for pro-saws. Then Husky got popular and the company let many loggers become "dealers" and sell new saws from their homes. That was the main reason why we never took on Husky as a brand. Full service dealers weren't being well protected.

Buying a saw today? I don't buy new often, but when I do, I get a parts breakdown and find out what a saw is made of. Many new saws being sold now don't even sell replacement internal parts. And many are now using plastic crankcases which is joke if wanting to use a saw hard and long.

I had to buy two new saws this year. First in over 20 years. This started when the ignition module died in one of my favorite 87 cc Stihls, and they had NO parts support for my saw. For that, I'm forever ticked off at Stihl.

I had first gone to a guy I know that has his own saw shop. All he sells is Echo and Husky. He showed me many ruined homeowner-version Husky saws that used plastic crankcases. Also told me he might drop Husky if they go the chain-store-route and undercut him as a dealer. I almost bought a new Husky 372XP from him but did not because it did not have the gauge chain I wanted. It has the metal crankcase I wanted. But the price was high at $800. And, I wanted a saw that could use the exact same chains as my Stihl saws. 3/8" chain with .050" gauge. 60 drivers for 16" chains,72 drivers for 20" chains, etc.

Did some searching and reading. Decided to buy a Dolmar 64 cc. Then bought a another smaller one at 50 ccs. DCS-510 for $345. Dolmar has been around a hair longer then Stihl and has a great reputation in Europe. Just never captured the USA market. I'm very satisfied and got a lot more saw for my money that I could find from Husky or Stihl.

My "Makita" Dolmar DSC6401 with 20" bar and two chains cost me $530 with no tax and free shipping. It is an overbuilt saw, and is used in Europe with up to a 79 cc. size. All it takes is a jug and piston change to upgrade.

I haven't found any other saw-deals that good, and I know the quality and company history is there with Dolmar. Only slight "downside" is the 6401 is overbuilt and therefore a little heavier then other saws around 60 ccs. That because it's capable of being used as a 79 cc, 6.4 horsepower saw. The extra one pound does not bother me at all. I like the idea that it's overbuilt.

Makita branded DCS 5401/Dolmar branded PS-6400 at 64 ccs weighs 13.6 lbs. (no bar and chain). At 79 ccs it still weighs 13.6 lbs.

Husky 372XP weighs 13.4 lbs. with 71 ccs.

I'm leary of the 455 because you see so many refurbished ones on E-Bay. If they were good, why so many refurbs?

Take a look at the Dolmar/Makita's. Allot of saw for the money. Another good off brand is the Efco/ John Deere / Cub Cadets. The Efco's have 5 year consumer warraunties. The 56 cc and 62 cc are pro grade and really spoken highly by people who use them.

See, originally, I wanted to go Dolmar. I think they are some tough saws, and can really spit the wood.

But since there is only 1 dealer in a 100 mile range, it didnt quit sit well with me. I went and visited a local chainsaw shop and they said they carried Dolmar for a while but they said the brand had too many problems and dropped them.

Currently, I've got the father in laws older Mcculloch that I tuned up and did a little work on. Its got the 24" bar on it and I've pretty much started out with this saw since I touched a saw. I'm comfortable with the 24" bar now, and I don't think I will need to be going any bigger then that.

I would stay with this Mcculloch, but the parts are hard to come by, and it wont be long before I can't use it. This saw is outlasting itself!

Its a great saw, but when the chain get a little dull, it gets heavy. And it will still bog down when in a cut, even when the chain is sharp.

Stihl and husky is everywhere. So I figure if I stay with them I will always get what I need, so long as I don't get a plastic engine...

Look at the MS440 in the trading post for $350....Looks like the perfect saw for you at a great price!

See, originally, I wanted to go Dolmar. I think they are some tough saws, and can really spit the wood.

But since there is only 1 dealer in a 100 mile range, it didnt quit sit well with me

I guess it depends if you really need a dealer nearby. Back before Al Gore invented the Internet, yeah. . . having local dealers was helpful. Now? No use to me. If I need a part for my saw, car, tractor, truck etc. I do better ordering on-line. Cheaper and often faster.

And if you don't do your own repairs? Somebody can be good at repairing saws yet not be a dealer of the brand you own.

In my situation, quality and price are most important to me, along with future parts support.

It gets more confusing as time goes on. How many saws that are 30 years old have parts available? How about 20 years? How about 10 years? A guy who buys a saw and runs it 40-50 hours a week may not care. Use it up, and buy another new one. But somebody who keeps stuff over time? I've got quite a few good runnning USA saws that are 50 years old and I can still get ignition and carburetor parts. Yet I have several German Stihls from the 80s that I cannot.

I've got over 40 saws. Obviously some rarely or never get used. But, I like having spares and also collect. I go up in the woods with four saws usually. Two small (50 cc) and two big (60-90 cc), with many extra chains. This way I never cut with a dull chain, never spend time in the woods hand sharpening, and always have a spare saw if something goes wrong.

Dolmar and Stihl evolved at the same time with Dolmar being first with a gas-powered saw. The 64 cc models being sold in the USA are all over Europe. Subsequently, I am sure parts will be available for a long time. Europeans, in general, are less of a "throw away" society then here in the USA. When Stihl USA told me "no parts available" for my mid-1980s 045 Super, I got new parts from a dealer in West Germany.

Stihl certainly still makes some excellent saws (and some crap), but their good saws are overpriced. Same with Husky. If Dolmar ever gets well accepted in the USA, they too will become overpriced. But for now, they are not.

As to the many others that have known names? Geez. Hard to figure. Deere sold Remington, Echo (Kioritz), Homelite, and Efco. Some were junk and some OK. None have great parts support, but Echo is the best of the bunch.

With Efco, the "PRO" saws with metal crankcases and full ball bearing mains starts with 46 cc. size and up. Made in Italy and may be a geat saw. But future parts? Who knows. I've got many two-stroke-cycle Italian engines on various types of equipment. Parts support has been lousy on all so far. At least when I try to buy from sources in the US.

Cub Cadet? The "Cub Cadet" name was sold off a long time ago by IH and an Asian company owns the name, last I heard. They've marketed several saws made in Indonesia. Some of the newer ones have Emak engines. I've got several 55 ccs saws in my junk pile. When they were three years old, parts were already unavailable. Sears sold some also, with the same "no parts" problem.

Years back, Sears sold a "Sears Best" 55 cc, 3.3 cube saw. It was a Poulan Pro. For the money, a GREAT saw. But they then sold a similar looking "Sears Best" 55 cc 3.3 cube saw what was Indonesian and terrible. Same as the one Cub Cadet was selling. I think the absolute worst saw I ever owned. Bolts constantly falling out. Handle broke (but was recalled and replaced). Oil pump failed, and finally ignition module failed.

Dolmar 7900!

End of thread! 7

Far as I know, the Makita DCS6401 is the same saw as the Dolmar 7900. Just has a 1.85" bore instead of the 2" bore. 7900 piston and jug will swap right in. As to price difference, I have no idea. $530 here in the USA for the 6401 with a 20" bar.

Far as I know, the Makita DCS6401 is the same saw as the Dolmar 7900. Just has a 1.85" bore instead of the 2" bore. 7900 piston and jug will swap right in. As to price difference, I have no idea. $530 here in the USA for the 6401 with a 20" bar.

As might not be known to all Makita=Dolmar or in other words Makita = Dolmar in blue. It is the same company only the slight difference that Makita is the parent company.
The numbers might be correct as I have no idea about the bore diameter. But as the model number suggests the 6400 has 64 cc and the 7900 has 79cc. So why would anyone buy a new 6400 to install a new piston&jug if you could get it as a 7900 from the beginning. Then again if you had the chance to get a 6400 used from a rental shop for ~200$ that would be a totally different story!

Good luck at stopping that saw by leaning on to it.

Back