which top handle saw is the one for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmethodrose

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Another which saw thread from me I'm afraid! Am considering getting a top handle saw, and could do with some advice.

For reasons of my own, I do not want a Stihl. I know the MS200T is meant to be the best top handle to consider, but I have not had paticulary good experiences of Stihl and currently only own one cream and white saw, which rarely gets used.

Budget is an issue, and it's not going to be heavily used, or used for cutting anything over 6" or so. I'm tempted by Efco, as I've been very impressed by my new little MT3500 which replaced my MS171, and am willing to give them another try. Anyone using one of these?

Other options are Husky, Makita or Tanaka really, not much else to choose from locally. Any thoughts on any of these?

cheers,
Joe

How about a good used mac, poulan, or echo. All made or make top handle occasional use saws and can be found at pawn shops or online for a good price. There may be a few here that will be willing to part with a mini mac for a very reasonable price.

The Husky T435 looks interesting...Stihl 200T specs at half the $$

35.2 cc....2 hp.....7.5 lb.....$319.95
Quick release air filter cover and quick release air filter...
Side tension chain adjusting and adjustable oil adjuster.
9 reviews...8 were 5 stars...1 was 4 stars

Looks like a good little homeowner saw!!
Chainsaw | Husqvarna | Homeowner
:cheers:
J2F

Echo

If the Stihl line is out, I recommend one of the Echo top handles. They are not the fastest, lightest, or posse the newest technology, but they do run forever without much fuss and their price is competitive. I believe they have a 5 year warranty for homeowner use too, but maybe another member can confirm if that is true.

Take Care

To bad I just took a couple of Poulan top handle saws to the scrap yard, They ran Just didnt have a use for all of them sorry.

The Husky T435 looks interesting...Stihl 200T specs at half the $$

35.2 cc....2 hp.....7.5 lb.....$319.95
Quick release air filter cover and quick release air filter...
Side tension chain adjusting and adjustable oil adjuster.
9 reviews...8 were 5 stars...1 was 4 stars

Looks like a good little homeowner saw!!
Chainsaw | Husqvarna | Homeowner
:cheers:
J2F
Not that it matters much - but that saw really is a Zenoah (Redmax).

Top handle saw

Hi guys,

Another which saw thread from me I'm afraid! Am considering getting a top handle saw, and could do with some advice.

For reasons of my own, I do not want a Stihl. I know the MS200T is meant to be the best top handle to consider, but I have not had paticulary good experiences of Stihl and currently only own one cream and white saw, which rarely gets used.

Budget is an issue, and it's not going to be heavily used, or used for cutting anything over 6" or so. I'm tempted by Efco, as I've been very impressed by my new little MT3500 which replaced my MS171, and am willing to give them another try. Anyone using one of these?

Other options are Husky, Makita or Tanaka really, not much else to choose from locally. Any thoughts on any of these?

cheers,
Joe
I have a Jonsered CS2135 (same identical saw as Husqvarna 338XPT & Jonsered CS2139). I've had it for 2 yrs. & have had very good experience with it. It is not a cheap piece of equipment ( paid 478.00 for it), but it has 39cc as opposed to 35cc for the StihlMS200T. I have not used the Stihl as others here have, so I can't give you a comparison. I can tell you that I was surprised to find that it had the guts to cut smoothly & without "complaining" when the 14in bar was buried in oak. That is not what I bought it for, but it sure was nice to know that it had that much reserve power. It is rated for 13,800RPM & runs beautifully at that setting. I have dialed mine down to 13,300 & like it's feel even better. There was enough adjustment without removing the limiters on the carb screws to richen it below 13,000 if I wanted to do so. I think I was lucky there. You might check out some of the reviews listed by Husqvarna on the 338XPT. Some of the posters have used them a lot, & I thought reviewed them fairly & accurately. Good luck with your choice. Hope this has been somewhat helpful. SCH

thanks for the replies! unfortunately here in the UK we don't really have poulan or mac saws, apart from the brand new plasticy macs, and I'm not tempted by them...

for example, I just searched ebay UK for "poulan chainsaw". 1 saw in the whole UK, link. So I don't really want to go down that road as getting any parts will be a nightmare!

I'll look more into echo and the husqvarna saw, I'm not too worried if whatever I get is slightly on the heavy side as I'm not using it every day.

cheers,
Joe

If you truely need a top handle...then there is one that is clearly head and shoulders above the rest. Knowing that most of the issues with a 200t are infact "KNOWN" i would look for a good used one. they do come up on occasion. I would rather have a used 200t then anything else new currently sold on the market. Hate all ya want but Stihl OWNS the top handle market for a reason and price point isn't the reason. This isn't a case to purchase something because you hate something else.

Then again if you just "want" a tophandle....anything else will do.

Solo 637

I bought a Solo 637 from Bailey's for $299. It's not a 200T, but I run it quite a bit and it has some pretty good grunt. I opened up the muffler and ports, so it goes even better now, but not all that much better. Typically before I get into the bigger wood when I'm climbing, I'll just rappel down and switch saws, like to my Husky 266 or the J'red 2165.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?return=review&item=SL 637 14&pageno=

I am another vote for the echo chain saw. We have 2 of the 360T and they have a lot of torque and is pretty simple in construction. I really don't like the plastic but we have been using them for over three years and we have not had any large failures to date. Everyone always talks about the 200T (and we own one) but bang for the buck echo would get my vote. I really think the 200T are over rated but they are quality machine. I run the 360T on the ground everyday that we go out.

I have an Echo CS3000 and it isn't real powerful but I use the stuffing out of that saw.
I gave it a mild muff mod and it really helped.
I intend to port it this winter and see what develops.
The Dolmar 3410 is a REAL nice top handle for the money.
I also have a couple of Poulan S25 DA's and they are great for an older saw.

Mike

Those Solo TH saws aren't too bad. Made in Germany, definitely not as classy as a Stihl or husky in quality of design and the engine doesn't have their explosive acceleration and chainspeed. Still good enough as a casual to semi-pro unit. Not a real low-down grunter(stihl 009) and not a hi-revving screamer(MS200T) it sits at about half-way on that score.

This one a 633, the 35cc model. Faults: Plastic oil pump can crap out. Dust can get past the air filter. On/off wire to coil can break at the connection.

solo3.jpg

The T435 is a sweet little saw, and the local arborist I see most has a 2010 338XPT and he loves it. Either of those will serve you nicely.

I'll look more into echo and the husqvarna saw, I'm not too worried if whatever I get is slightly on the heavy side as I'm not using it every day

If it is Echo or Husqvarna, I would lean toward the Husqvarna.

a) cc for cc there is not an Echo on the shelf that can beat the Husqvarna - at least what I have seen run. And I have seen all their top handled saws (except the newest Husky)
b) dealers - most important - what do you have for good dealers. Around here Echo dealers.. well.. at best leave something to be desired. Do not even cosider a saw if you do not have a dealer with a good technician in back shop who knows the saws; and somebody at counter who knows saws. If they do it part time; then chances are they don't have much of a clue.

But back to the Stihl.. which I know you have issues with.. the 200T is way overpriced.. but Stihl gets away with it as there is not yet a top handled saw that comes close to it for the professional tree worker.

But.. that also begs the question.. if you are not using "in" a tree.. why a top handled saw? They were never designed to use on the ground.. and the only reason most want them on the ground is so they can run them one-handed.

OH REALLY???? I've never ran them one handed. Not the most desirable style for ground work but still do quite well at it.

Really..

Did not say you could not use on the ground.. but they were designed for working in a tree.

And while they can be used as a ground saw, there are a LOT better saws out there for ground work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back