Which would you keep? Ms361 or 268xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After struggling with this decision for far to long I sold the 268 today.

to a guy that also had a 362

Last edited:
I'm genuinely surprised at how long it took for this option to pop up lol. :hmm3grin2orange:

A number of us were thinking it.:D

to a guy that also had a 361

Ugh. I'd have sold the 361 and 029s for big money to some "Stihl men" on ebay and kept the 268XP. Different strokes I guess....:cheers:

to a guy that also had a 361

I bought it! Thanks "Mike." Upon further inspection it appears to be pretty solid. The chain brake did seem to self destruct again after 30 seconds, I already ordered a replacement assembly. After messing with it a little, it seemed like it never was going to be quite right and didnt want to have to fix it every time i wanted to use the saw.
The bar is a little pooched too. Severe wear on one side, looked like the oiling hole clogged up and heated up as the bar is discolored and has a major ridge on one side and is worn down. I will order a new chain and see if I can salvage the bar with some careful grinding. If not, I will be contemplating a 24" bar along with a replacement 20"

Overall, I think it was a fair deal and I cant wait for the new chain brake assembly to take a whack at my 9 cords of oak. It will go well with my 362xp which is my go to saw right now. I just need to get the carb right on my 44 rancher and I will have a solid 3 saw plan.:msp_thumbup:

Both my 268 and 272xp had broken chain brakes, and cracked clutch covers when I got them. I've since found a NOS OEM and put it on my 272xp.

watsonr has a group buy going for Tsumura Total Super bars at the moment in 16"-28" lengths.

I bought it! Thanks "Mike." Upon further inspection it appears to be pretty solid. The chain brake did seem to self destruct again after 30 seconds, I already ordered a replacement assembly. After messing with it a little, it seemed like it never was going to be quite right and didnt want to have to fix it every time i wanted to use the saw.
The bar is a little pooched too. Severe wear on one side, looked like the oiling hole clogged up and heated up as the bar is discolored and has a major ridge on one side and is worn down. I will order a new chain and see if I can salvage the bar with some careful grinding. If not, I will be contemplating a 24" bar along with a replacement 20"

Overall, I think it was a fair deal and I cant wait for the new chain brake assembly to take a whack at my 9 cords of oak. It will go well with my 362xp which is my go to saw right now. I just need to get the carb right on my 44 rancher and I will have a solid 3 saw plan.:msp_thumbup:

Sorry to hear the chain brake isnt right. I had put it back together and made a few test cuts and thought it was working right. If you want to return the saw I understand. Or let me know what the parts for the brake cost. I want to make this right.
'Mike'

Last edited:
And a clean 300th anniversary edition 268XP isn't a classic?

It certainly is; I've got two of them. ;)

The OP's question though first made me think that with one being a 60cc saw and the other being a 70cc saw it is a hard comparison to make. I thought the 361 with an 18" and the 268 with a 20" would both be more likely to get used than his other saws. But at least we know the 268 went to a good home. :msp_thumbup:

Keep an 18" - 20" on the 361 and put a 24" on the 268.

I have a 268 XP sp, and if its the same as your xp you have more saw there than the 361.

my 268 is wonderfully happy with a 24" bar, I would like to know how to turn the oiler up one more notch, but It will cut through sweet gum, bar deep with ease, I just cut a stump off yesterday morning and there was no issue what so ever bar buried to the dogs and pushing it through. The 361's I have used just aren't that kind of saw.

The 361 is newer and probably gets more fuel economy, but I think are heavier and ugly!

So you know I am not simply bias'd towards Stihl, I love my 041 and want a 460-461.

That 268 XP is just a special kind of saw.

Sorry to hear the chain brake isnt right. I had put it back together and made a few test cuts and thought it was working right. If you want to return the saw I understand. Or let me know what the parts for the brake cost. I want to make this right.
'Mike'

No, I want to keep it! :biggrin: I bought a complete chain brake assembly new off ebay for 50-60 bucks. It apears to be "chinese" and I may regret that decision to not buy an OEMish part but I couldn't justify more cost on a saw I havent even used yet. The bar being in tough shape was more troubling than the chain brake. Not because a new bar is terribly expensive but because it showed that this saw was used by someone for at least a little while that had virtually NO idea about even basic saw maintenance. Thats my own fault though for not noticing that, it was in plain site. Hopefully this bar just found its way onto this saw somehow and wasnt abused ON this saw. Juding from the condition of the saw being generally pretty good, I think there is a good chance this is what happened.

I did forget the extra felling dog and it would be nice to get those screws for the top cover though ;)

No problem, ill pick up the screws tomorrow morning.
The 268 came to me without a bar. That bar is from another saw that had been abused.

No, I want to keep it! :biggrin: I bought a complete chain brake assembly new off ebay for 50-60 bucks. It apears to be "chinese" and I may regret that decision to not buy an OEMish part but I couldn't justify more cost on a saw I havent even used yet. The bar being in tough shape was more troubling than the chain brake. Not because a new bar is terribly expensive but because it showed that this saw was used by someone for at least a little while that had virtually NO idea about even basic saw maintenance. Thats my own fault though for not noticing that, it was in plain site. Hopefully this bar just found its way onto this saw somehow and wasnt abused ON this saw. Juding from the condition of the saw being generally pretty good, I think there is a good chance this is what happened.

I did forget the extra felling dog and it would be nice to get those screws for the top cover though ;)

Good to see that classic saw didn't go to some one who would use it and abuse it. good score , sit back and let CAD sink in .

No problem, ill pick up the screws tomorrow morning.
The 268 came to me without a bar. That bar is from another saw that had been abused.

That makes me feel alot better about the bar. I decided not to mess with the bar and I ordered a new bar and chain combo today too. A new bar just makes you feel good about a saw anyway, right? :msp_thumbup: Unfortuntately, my 362xp has a small bar mount and the bars are not interchangable. Fortunately, I found a new clutch cover for the small bar mount today on Ebay, which is incredibly hard to find. It is missing so much metal that even i was getting worried about the safety. Been dropping some coin on the saws lately but considering I only paid $170 for the 362 at a pawn shop with a brand new bar and chain, I guess I cant feel too bad. I think CAD is setting in...

268xp Update

Well, I thought I would update this saw. I purchased a new chain brake assembly and the first one came poorly packaged and was broken. They sent another one which made it in once piece. I put a brandy new bar and chain on it. I have just made a few test cuts so far but it feels very strong. It also needed a clutch drum, the bearing had a pretty good amount of play. I tested the compression and it was about 155-160. Two of the three top cover screws are stripped out, that is aparently why they were missing when I got the saw. Looks like one was stripped and retapped slightly larger and looks like the other the steel insert is missing because the hole is so large. I will have to figure out something, but this is pretty minor. I put a new fuel line on it just for the hell of it. It idles high and wanders a little bit. Im thinking it must have an air leak somewhere and a pressure test will be in order soon. What do you guys think? I have a little more in this saw than I wanted to but it is very unmolested and will be a strong runner. View attachment 288434

Well, craigslist reared its ugly head and other 268xp showed up in the town where I work. I put it out of my head and tried to ignore it. I finally emailed because it was still for sale after a few weeks. It looked a little rough in the photos. I went to look at it tonight. It was filthy. Very filthy. The guy didnt know anything about saws. He said he went to start it and the cord was stuck. I freed it up with a couple tugs and he seemed amazed. I think I could have walked off with it for about 20 bucks before I freed the cord. I pulled on it for about 10 pulls and it popped off. It fired up, reved and compression seemed good. Chain brake is intact but wont stop the chain when engaged. Stop switch doesnt work. It looked mediocre. I offered him 100 bucks because i thought it would be a good parts saw if it didnt work out or could be a nice 272 someday. I didnt think it was worth more than 100 but I felt like he needed the 20 bucks more than I did, he had a beautiful little 2 year old daughter and clearly he needed the money. I took it home. View attachment 288433 Well, I took it apart and cleaned a few pounds of crap off it. It was the dirtiest saw I have ever seen. I did a comp. test on it and it blew 155-160 just like the other one! I was a little shocked. Took the muffler off and there was just one small score on the cylinder. Muffler was loose. After cleaning it, it appears to be in a lot better shape than it originally looked. Clutch drum bearing was good, but the dust cover was shredded and sprocket was toast. Luckily I had all those parts from the kit I bought for the first 268xp, perfect! It has a 16" bar. It also idles high and wanders around so it probably needs a pressure test also but looks like this will be a good runner too.
I think CAD is setting in what do you think? View attachment 288432:smile2:
I've been down to TK's shop buying parts. I'm just proud that I haven't brought home a new 562xp.......yet :rock:

Latest posts

Back