Which would you keep? Ms361 or 268xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I thought I would update this saw. I purchased a new chain brake assembly and the first one came poorly packaged and was broken. They sent another one which made it in once piece. I put a brandy new bar and chain on it. I have just made a few test cuts so far but it feels very strong. It also needed a clutch drum, the bearing had a pretty good amount of play. I tested the compression and it was about 155-160. Two of the three top cover screws are stripped out, that is aparently why they were missing when I got the saw. Looks like one was stripped and retapped slightly larger and looks like the other the steel insert is missing because the hole is so large. I will have to figure out something, but this is pretty minor. I put a new fuel line on it just for the hell of it. It idles high and wanders a little bit. Im thinking it must have an air leak somewhere and a pressure test will be in order soon. What do you guys think? I have a little more in this saw than I wanted to but it is very unmolested and will be a strong runner. View attachment 288434

I don't know if you have one down there but up here we have a hardware store chain called Aubushons...they carry a small assortment of metric steel thread inserts...3-4-5mm I believe. These are slick...similar to a timesert but way cheaper..like $5 each...may well be what your saw had and may thread right in. These come with a dab of thread lok on them but I always use red loktight too. You may be able to find them elswheres as well but Aubuchons is the only place I've found them so far. They are in the bulk nuts and bolts section.

If I were you I would simply replace both crank seals and O-rings/ring as a matter of course.....these are cheap and very easy to do on these saws.....Cheep insurance...and they are 24 yrs old...about all you can expect from a crank seal.......if they wander rpm wise clean and rebuild the carbs too....they always need it with todays fuels. This is time well spent....it eliminates possible problems and your saw will give you yrs of use in return.....

Good score on both 268XPs.....I have the important parts (P&C) on two saws.. one red... one orange...both ported..both are very impressive saws to say the least. Neither are real high turners, though ported, they both tune to 13,800 and will just bury you in chips!! You can dig 'em right in and lean real hard if you must.....they don't slow down.....just get louder. To bad Mike got rid of the wrong saw....but good for you!!!! LOL!!!

LOL! Buying the 2nd saw because you like the first and thinking of parts.....sounds like what I would have done.:msp_thumbup: I like my 272xp, and woulld buy another or a 268 if I could find a decent one for reasonable $. I did buy a nice 394xp, and am liking it a lot.

I dont think you read the whole thread. But I agree.

On what are you basing your opinion? The 361 is my go-to saw and I have found it to be as reliable as a stone fence, not to mention it being hell-for-strong for 59cc of displacement.

On what are you basing your opinion? The 361 is my go-to saw and I have found it to be as reliable as a stone fence, not to mention it being hell-for-strong for 59cc of displacement.

Agree that it is one to keep, but only on personal preference. I have no problem with the 361, in fact im glad Mike is happy with it because it meant he could pass the Husky on to me. Different strokes for different folks. :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Agree that it is one to keep, buy only on personal preference. I have no problem with the 361, in fact im glad Mike is happy with it because it meant he could pass the Husky on to me. Different strokes for different folks. :msp_thumbup:

YOU have some nice husky's my friend. good job. and keep searching. the CAD is in full effect.

Back