Who does good porting work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alot of good guys do good port work. Dont skip out, do your research. If i was getting any of my saws ported i wouldnt take just opinions off a thread. I would read alot of threads and draw my own conclusion. Btw some guys are better at porting certain model saws than others. Just my 2pennies

Thats exactly what ive came up with from all the modded saws ive tried.

This is a great thread to practice some of that self restraint everyone is always talking about.
Del_, that was uncalled for and you should go fix it.
Oly, that was also uncalled for and you should also go fix it.

Del was making a joke. You and Oly failed the Sense of Humor Test. Again.

@blsnelling

Has ported at least 12 saws for me

Meticulous builder

Brads 241s would give some "other" builders 50cc saws a hell of a run..thats a model he has NAILED

I like terry landrums 562s..

All these guys have models they make exceptional..

some guys get their saws worked over to make cyber friends they will never meet..i do it to get the best for my money , everyone has their priorities..

Brads 241s would give some "other" builders 50cc saws a hell of a run..thats a model he has NAILED

I like terry landrums 562s..

All these guys have models they make exceptional..

some guys get their saws worked over to make friends..i do it to get the best for my money , everyone has their priorities..
Also the 261 with his Strato delete.

Many good builders here

I think most of the saw porters left the building an stuff...

Yup, and that's a shame. But really, there's a lot more saw porting and building going on than we see in the narrow context of AS.
The builders on AS, or any other forum, make a lot of noise and so they get a lot of attention.
I can only speak from personal experience and the only area I'm really familiar with is the Left Coast. The best saw porters and work saw builders I've seen aren't on any of the forums. They don't need to be. Their reputation, especially in the logging community, brings them enough work. There are a few loggers who work on saws for additional income, a couple of saw shops that will modify a saw any way you want it, and some individuals who can build a damn strong work saw. They don't advertise, they don't blow their own horns, and they sure as hell don't engage in ego-driven battles with their competition in a public forum.
A lot of them will only work on saws for people that they already know or who are sent to them by people they know. They build saws for people who know exactly what they want out of a saw and who can tell the difference. Most of the builders don't want to get involved in all the second guessing, ankle biting, and petty squabbles that we see on the forums.
Most of the builders I've mentioned here have been on the forums, taken a good look at the foolishness that goes on, and quietly left. I don't blame them.

Yup, and that's a shame. But really, there's a lot more saw porting and building going on than we see in the narrow context of AS.
The builders on AS, or any other forum, make a lot of noise and so they get a lot of attention.
I can only speak from personal experience and the only area I'm really familiar with is the Left Coast. The best saw porters and work saw builders I've seen aren't on any of the forums. They don't need to be. Their reputation, especially in the logging community, brings them enough work. There are a few loggers who work on saws for additional income, a couple of saw shops that will modify a saw any way you want it, and some individuals who can build a damn strong work saw. They don't advertise, they don't blow their own horns, and they sure as hell don't engage in ego-driven battles with their competition in a public forum.
A lot of them will only work on saws for people that they already know or who are sent to them by people they know. They build saws for people who know exactly what they want out of a saw and who can tell the difference. Most of the builders don't want to get involved in all the second guessing, ankle biting, and petty squabbles that we see on the forums.
Most of the builders I've mentioned here have been on the forums, taken a good look at the foolishness that goes on, and quietly left. I don't blame them.
I completely understand all of this but how guys to find these type of builders/porters? In my area their is none, hardly any logging, mostly firewood cutting so not many pro saws even. That is why to come to forum pages and ask. I have never been a fan of blow hards and big advertisers essentially begging for work like some do/did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely understand all of this but how guys to find these type of builders/porters? In my area their is none, hardly any logging, mostly firewood cutting so not many pro saws even. That is why to come to forum pages and ask. I have never been a fan of blow hards and big advertisers essentially begging for work like some do/did!
There are trees in Iowa? Who knew? :surprised3:

More rpm and noise is easy to make. Do you want a high revving saw that lacks torque, needs to be fethered through wood and blows exhaust in ya face from a not well thought out muffler modd? Do you want some of the clever idea's the oem engineers spent god knows how much on removed like strato tech and end up with a noisy fuel pig that gets less work done? All this is possible for 2-$300 USD if you don't choose a builder wisley. Leave it stock if your not wise, you will be better off. Nothing wrong with a stock 394xp, it can be even better with some simple tuning you could do yourself. Also take 'opinions' with a grain of salt, everyone has one about the modded saw they invested in. Untill you know the what's what in the saw building trade thier is nothing wrong with buying high performance stock saws, you just need to select the models that run well right out of the box.

Latest posts

Back