Who does good porting work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ported saws will undoubtedly cut a cookie faster than a stock saw, but in a work environment with a saw in your hands all day a stock saws has advantages. Co workers not running saws have to wear earmuffs if you run ported saws, not nice to make them do that if you don't need to on 30-40° celcius days. More power often equates to more fuel and more downtime filling them up. For some ported saws 'may' increase production but I am yet to experience this. Removals in built up areas can annoy a lot of people going about the business using significantly louder gutted/opened mufflers. Ported saws are fun but I don't take them to work as much these days. I respects others opinions on this matter, round here you won't win many friends advocating for a stock saw. I like more moderate modds these days, keeping the engineers integrity who designed them.

My ported saws will undoubtedly cut a cookie faster than a stock saw, but in a work environment with a saw in your hands all day a stock saws has advantages. Co workers not running saws have to wear earmuffs if you run ported saws, not nice to make them do that if you don't need to on 30-40° celcius days. More power often equates to more fuel and more downtime filling them up. For some ported saws 'may' increase production but I am yet to experience this. Removals in built up areas can annoy a lot of people going about the business using significantly louder gutted/opened mufflers. Ported saws are fun but I don't take them to work as much these days. I respects others opinions on this matter, round here you won't win many friends advocating for a stock saw. I like more moderate modds these days, keeping the engineers integrity who designed them.
Ported saws are definitely louder, no doubt about that. I'm sure your work scenario affects how they may or may not increase production. In particular, I built a 390XP for a production veneer hardwood faller and he saw a tremendous production increase. Again, your mileage may vary. I imagine in a removal scenario you're more limited by climbing and setup time than saw time. That makes sense. For a firewood cutter, production would definitely go up. IIRC, @MCW has detailed records on how ported saws have increased his production. That's a case where all he's doing is falling one tree after another. It's all saw time.

There's "loud" and then there's "you couldn't give this sumbitch away loud". Which my 041 super seems to be one of the latter. I don't like to run it, I don't want to, and I don't think I could give it away if I wanted to. It literally hurts my head to run it.
Typically when muffler mods are done correctly they don't increase the volume too significantly. Most open them too much and in the wrong location which just turns them into exhaust trumpets.

I only cut for fun but can imagine that a modded work saw can also shine when one needs to walk a sizable distance when carrying said saw. IE I'd rather carry in a modded 562 than a stock 372 or 576 when cutting speeds will be similar.
This cutter I know just bought a new 562 and claims it is just as strong as his 372 x-torq. Both saws are stock.

Judging by how my 562 cuts I wouldn't doubt that one bit. But I haven't ran enough 70 cc huskys to be able to personally make that call.

... hang a 36" or a 42" or even a 60" bar on a saw that size and bury it clear to the tip in big wood all day long. You'll see then what a well modded saw can do. Big difference. If you're working production and getting paid by the foot a modded saw will pay for itself pretty quick.
All true, but porting a 20 year-old saw to be used as a reliable production tool is a fool's errand and I can't believe that's the OP's intent.

This cutter I know just bought a new 562 and claims it is just as strong as his 372 x-torq. Both saws are stock.
I own both and prefer the 562. I find the 562 might be a shade behind the 372 x-torq in power but more then makes up for it when the tree is down and I have to limb it.
I replaced my 562 with a Jonsered 2260 shortly before Xmas. Same saw, a touch lighter. It's my go to saw.

Rebuilding an old 394xp and giving it a new life makes all the sense in the world; it's the idea of porting it and putting a long bar on it to make lots of $$ in production falling that I don't buy.

Do you cut for a living?
Yes; one of the ways I make money. Registered business in town as Blackstone Valley Field & Trail. Mainly thinning, clearing & fence row maintenance.
BTW, when you work for a company around here, you use their equipment, and no company is gonna port saws for their employees. Maybe a muffler mod here and there, but that's it. Saws are the cheapest tool on the job next to rigging lines, so when they wear out or blow up, companies buy new. Chump change compared to heavy equipment maintenance. That's why I don't think running ported old saws for production makes sense. YMMV.

Yes; one of the ways I make money. Registered business in town as Blackstone Valley Field & Trail. Mainly thinning, clearing & fence row maintenance.
BTW, when you work for a company around here, you use their equipment, and no company is gonna port saws for their employees. Maybe a muffler mod here and there, but that's it. Saws are the cheapest tool on the job next to rigging lines, so when they wear out or blow up, companies buy new. Chump change compared to heavy equipment maintenance. That's why I don't think running ported old saws for production makes sense. YMMV.
No, I mean cut for a living. Where you don't get paid by the hour, you get paid by the board foot...which you cut with your own saw.

Rebuilding an old 394xp and giving it a new life makes all the sense in the world; it's the idea of porting it and putting a long bar on it to make lots of $$ in production falling that I don't buy.

I have a 394xp that is down to 110 lbs compression.I have a 28" bar on it now but would like to also use a 32" bar for bigger wood.Muffler mod and some porting so that in case of problems with rings down the road it will be an easy fix.What kind of increase could I expect ?

Anyone know of a saw builder from Iowa?

My buddy texted me a pic of a modded 562 for sale locally for $700 built by a guy out of Iowa. Price is a little steep IMO

Latest posts

Back