Who Elses is Po'd About eBays Shipping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenacrewoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey! Guys
Who else gets PO'd about the shipping some people try to charge for saws at eBay. I won a Homelite Buz on ebay last week and there was no price on the listing for shipping ( I did try to contact him ) anyway the guy charged me $52 :angry:
for shipping on a $49 saw Which I refused to pay. He finally emailed me yesterday and dropped the shipping to $28 after I proved the saw only weighed 18.7lbs Thank God for Mike's site, it's saved me high shipping more then once. Turned out to be an Ok guy, ( he had only sold 4 items) before this saw and after pointing eBays Shipping Policy to him, he apoligized and afford to drop it another $5 but I said the $28 was fare(still a couple $ high )but I had no problem paying it!- I told him I would probably do Bussiness with him again.
Now today I ask another seller a question: he sent a message giving me his zip code and said I could use UPS calculator and his Homey Wiz weighed
41lbs (not any packing) just the saw. :angry: I responded back saying
that he was out of his mind, that saw weighs no more than 22-24lbs w/
bar & chain. Oh! well I've proably lost that one also. Ha! Ha! Ha!
Sorry about the long post but these people really Piss Me Off!!! :angry:
Oh! by the way I report all excessive shipping to eBays customer service if
the shipping is like almost double or just outragious.
These few sellers Hurt us all ( Buyers & sellers) by trying to cheat everbody they deal with. Plus it's just plan wrong=Do the right Thing & Report Them :rock:

Mik E.

I won't bid on any item unless shipping is stated or they provide a calculator. Sometimes with the calculator, the shipping comes up higher than I think it should, but I take that into account when I bid. When I sell on Ebay I use the calculator which includes a 70% markup to cover packaging, supplies, drop off at UPS, etc. If the item sells higher than I expect, if ask, I will usually drop the shipping to close to actual cost charged by the shipper.

Jim

Shipping is tricky. I like to see it listed flat rate, or a calculator that's accurate. I just know that every saw I've shipped has ended up being considerably more expensive than I planned, or what it was supposed to be. But then again, I won't buy saws off ebay anyway, so I don't even look.

The reason the shipping is so high is e-bay only gets a cut from the selling price.

Ex saw would list for $200 ebay gets a percentage of the $200
if sold for $150 + 50 shipping still equals $200 dollars but they only pay the percentage on the $150 as it was explained to me by an avid e-bayer.
I don't know if they are still doing it that way but that was going on for a while

I get screwed when it comes to shipping. There is no UPS ground or FedEx Ground to Alaska. Most sellers refuse to ship USPS, or no Alaska or Hawaii.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Shipping is tricky. I like to see it listed flat rate, or a calculator that's accurate. I just know that every saw I've shipped has ended up being considerably more expensive than I planned, or what it was supposed to be. But then again, I won't buy saws off ebay anyway, so I don't even look.

I hear you. I used to use the shipping calculator in my auctions for car parts and the occassional saw, but after paying more than I should have for shipping, I just use flat rate. If it is in the US-48, I use a zip code for california and it 99% of the time covers my costs. It still amazes me how you can enter the weight before the auction and it is x amount, but after the auction, the same item, at same weight is x + more cash....

I got sick of the constant 5-10 dollar overages, so I set it flat rate most of the time.

When I sold my 066 with 28" bar on ebay a while back, I had the shipping at 40 bucks. I had to package the bar seperately. Both packages cost me $58 to ship.....

So, long story short, 5-10 bucks over on some items aren't too bad. I buy things on ebay, and watch the shipping costs too. I won't bid on an item that could be shipped for 20-30 and the seller is advertsing $60, etc.

I know for a long time selling car parts, I would wait to send the invoice to the buyer until I had their zip code. I charged them actual shipping, but there was always a delay in emails, payment, etc. I also found that a lot of people want to pay as soon as the auction is over, vs waiting a couple hours or a day or two for actual shipping (as long as it is within reason).

I also know that bubble wrap, shipping tape, boxes, etc are not free. All those cost have to go somewhere.

So, as long as it is within reason, what's the big deal. I am not worried if I pay 2-3 more for something after I have learned some of the extra costs involved. Now 30-40 more than normal is not within reason.

Make any sense?
-Steve

I like Using FedEx. Mainly because the Tracking actually works. I dont have an issue using USPS, but have never had an Issue with FedEx. I always state to contact me for a quote. If I get a shipping quote of say $28.30, which is what it cost to send a 460 from Lansing to CA, then I round it up to $29.00. I figure the $.70 helps cover the box and packing materials.

I see the + side of using flat rate shipping. But sometimes I see a falt rate of $50, and the seller is only 30 minute drive from me. I have yet to be able to convince those sellers to drop the shipping to actual, so no bids from me!

Sipping

I recently bought an 084 on ebay. $40 flat shipping, but the guy was only 3-4 hours away. I emailed at the end of the auction and the guy knocked it down to $20. Heavy saw, I tought that was reasonable. I flat rate my auctions for the same reason as Freak. People often want to pay immediatly. Most people will work with unless they are bad sellers.

I won't bid or buy anything unless the seller tells me up front how much to the penny to ship incl the hidden "handeling" charges just their way to make some more money....Bob

Bob,

Just curious, when the seller includes a shipping calculator, is that good enough for you, or have you had problems with the amount at the end of the auction being different from the calculator?

Jim

I do flat rate on all my saws. But, if a buyer is close I invite them to come and pick it up, no shipping or handling charges.

I used the calculator and found that I was charging more than I intended to, so I went to actual shipping. After reading this discussion, I think I will go flat rate and knock it down if the shipping is much higher than actual. I have only been burned a few times by charging less than it cost me.

I agree that some items are way out of wack for shipping. It should not cost $8 to ship a doggone rim and drum. :dizzy:

CaseyForrest said:
I like Using FedEx. Mainly because the Tracking actually works. I dont have an issue using USPS, but have never had an Issue with FedEx. I always state to contact me for a quote. If I get a shipping quote of say $28.30, which is what it cost to send a 460 from Lansing to CA, then I round it up to $29.00. I figure the $.70 helps cover the box and packing materials.

I see the + side of using flat rate shipping. But sometimes I see a falt rate of $50, and the seller is only 30 minute drive from me. I have yet to be able to convince those sellers to drop the shipping to actual, so no bids from me!

I wanted an 026 that was listed by a guy in a town less than 5 miles from me and he had a flat rate of $40 listed for shipping the saw (which is too much for an 026 shipping anywhere in the continental US). I emailed him ahead of time and asked if he'd let me pick it up or meet me somewhere close to him if I won the saw. I gave him my name, home phone, cell phone, and told him where I lived (5 miles away). He responded as if I were some sort of criminal out to mug him and steal his saw and said he would only ship it. I should note that my ebay acct goes back about 6 years with a perfect 100% feedback rating well over 100 points and many repeat customers and many repeat buys. I then offered to pay him $10 of the $30 if he'd let me pick it up and he came back with all sorts of insults about my mental status and other things. Needless to say I didn't buy his saw and I was really happy at the end of the auction to see it sold for about $50 less than I'd been willing to bid if he'd worked with me on the shipping thing.
Finnbear
Finnbear

total cost and bidding

I only bid if I know shipping, handling up front. Even if I have to email to get it. But say a guy has shipping listed at $50. and i know the saw weighs 14lbs. I know the actual shipping is going to be like $15 then and my bid will reflect it in my total price given. Say i was willing to go $150 total on the saw, I always include shipping in the total of what i am willing to spend on the item. Then my max bid on the item would be $100. add in his $50 for his shipping and I get my total cost for the saw that I was willing to go to $150. Hope i made since of this IMO. Bid smart, think smart, and know all fees upfront, if you dont its on you. Now I just paid for UPS shipping, insurance, tracking from a member here on AS. Well over 3 weeks later, I was told it was shipped Parcel Post with NO tracking. Worst service you can use and i still have NO SAW. Do not ever use parcel post folks. I only ship DHL, UPS, or USPS priorty all with tracking. Dont have a Fed ex close to try. Just my 2 bits.

Was going to bid on an item last year from a guy 45 min. drive from me..Emailed him to see if I could pick it up. He said yes but you still have to pay shipping..I asked why if i'm picking it up do I have to pay shipping..He said the shipping make's up for a low ending price..Sorry I passed on the item..

___

Finnbear said:
I wanted an 026 that was listed by a guy in a town less than 5 miles from me and he had a flat rate of $40 listed for shipping the saw (which is too much for an 026 shipping anywhere in the continental US). I emailed him ahead of time and asked if he'd let me pick it up or meet me somewhere close to him if I won the saw. I gave him my name, home phone, cell phone, and told him where I lived (5 miles away). He responded as if I were some sort of criminal out to mug him and steal his saw and said he would only ship it. I should note that my ebay acct goes back about 6 years with a perfect 100% feedback rating well over 100 points and many repeat customers and many repeat buys. I then offered to pay him $10 of the $30 if he'd let me pick it up and he came back with all sorts of insults about my mental status and other things. Needless to say I didn't buy his saw and I was really happy at the end of the auction to see it sold for about $50 less than I'd been willing to bid if he'd worked with me on the shipping thing.
Finnbear
Finnbear

Supposedly this happened to a friend of a friend.

They purchased a vehicle on ebay and the seller instructed them to meet at an out of the way warehouse (this sent up big red flags with the buyer but he proceeded anyway) so that they could pay in cash and sign the title over.

Two guys met them, one said he was going to get the vehicle from one of the warehouses. As soon as he left the other one pulled out a gun and robbed the buyer and his son (they had brought a large sum of cash to purchase the vehicle). Then the other guy pulls up in the get away car and the two speed off.

That's the much abbreviated version, and I have forgotten quite a few details but I think the point comes across.

Personally I'd invite any of my ebay buyers to come and pick up any item. I highly doubt somebody would show up to whack me and steal my saws. :laugh:

Offer to meet in the police/sheriff/fire dept parking lot of their choice. Can't get more neutral-territory than that.

Back