Who greases their bar tips???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then why don't the Stihl bars have grease holes in the tip anymore???:D

Gary

I don't use no stinkin' Stihl bars. I hear that the rails are too tight, the sprocket noses are prone to seizing and none of them have a hole for greasing the sprocket tip. Of no consequence though...Stihl users wouldn't know which hole to grease if it had hair...heh heh :laugh:

Seriously their new bars must have a permanently lubricated nose sprocket. Just as most cars do these days. So you are somewhat at the mercy of whoever put that bar together. That and the quality control, the durability of the components and viability of the technology. I think that the experts at Stihl would still advise you to grease your nose sprocket if your bar has ports.

"If there are lubricating holes in the sprocket tip be sure to grease them, as a lot of heat builds up there."
http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/articles/chainsaw_wisdom

Can you imagine...the frustration of not having a hole to pack some grease in?

My 5100 Dolmar bar doesn't have a hole for grease. It seized-up after 2 seasons use. I was able to free it up and get it spinning freely by prying the rail slightly apart at the tip. You can see the little rollers in there, and work some oil into the bearings. Mine may have had some wood fiber jammed in there too. I have probably cut 10 hrs since than, and it still spins fine. I definitely grease the tips on my Rollotronic roller nose bars and all my other bars that have grease holes.
Scott

Last edited:
Seriously their new bars must have a permanently lubricated nose sprocket. Just as most cars do these days. So you are somewhat at the mercy of whoever put that bar together. That and the quality control, the durability of the components and viability of the technology. I think that the experts at Stihl would still advise you to grease your nose sprocket if your bar has ports.

The experts are Stihl say not to... except for a few bars from windsor or whatever heritage, it's been 15 years since stihl made bars with grease holes. The bar oil lubricates the nose bearing.

I have a bar on my 372 that is over four years and never had grease
put in the hole and still going strong. Kinda looks funny as the burrs
have been removed so much sprocket tip sticks out a bit. I think the hardest thing on a bar is a newcomer over tightening chain.
Oh yeah it has cut thousands or cords and brush in millions
of cubic feet.

Last edited:
Yep to grease.

Originally Posted by GASoline71
Then why don't the Stihl bars have grease holes in the tip anymore???

Gary
It’s up to the unfortunate owner to reverse engineer the bar by means of a drill.

I grease my bars with the holes for it and don't the ones w/o. Some days a greaser, the rest just oily and don't give a second thought 'bout it. Never had any premature bar problems from quality bars, the few times I tried cheap ones, another story.........

I concur ropensaddle's observation that over tightening chains dones more for premature tip failure than anything.

I do some bore cutting and cut a lot of dead & dirty wood. I grease. Only takes a couple of seconds to do so. Do you use bar oil on your wheel bearings? Hey, what ever floats your boat, blows up your skirt, makes you happy, etc. :popcorn:

Have you ever taken apart a bar tip that has been greased, and gone bad?
Try it sometime, you'll see why grease ain't that great. Grease holds dirt, and grit. Dirt and grit eats metal. Bar oil flushes out dirt and grit, and lubes.

Andy

HAHAHAHA! You pro greasing guys make me laugh... I have the original bar on my 028... no grease hole... just runs fine.

Whatever you wanna claim that bars will prematurely fail without grease... whatever...:sucks:

Elmore got me good though... with the hair on the hole comment... wish i had some rep left my friend I woulda sent some your way... made me laugh good. Thanks! HAHAHA!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

Some guys like to grease their holes, some just oil 'em up, whatever works for ya. Just don't leave 'em dry I say.:hmm3grin2orange:

ya ol' greaser....

It just seems wrong to run a bearing without grease in there.

Now think about it a sec. These newer motors are cranking up the RPM. That bearing is getting a move on now!!! :chainsawguy: Problem with grease is that it is great at carrying a load, but not at that speed. Oil will flow better at this speed. So Stihl quit putting grease holes. Interesting. And bars are lasting just about as long as before. Maybe they know something....

I am also "old school". My windsor has a grease hole, My powermatch has a grease hole. In fact everything else has a grease hole.

I grease them, once in awhile. With white lithium. I have yet to lose a tip.

I really like that idea of a NASA designed sealed bearing. Maintenance free, and sealed for life. Good luck. Look at where that bearing has to go, and what it has to do! Then some schmuck like me is gonna start doing uppercuts at full throttle with 5 cube's of saw! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

-Pat

It's the same story every time, in bad conditions when the going gets tough, the greased tip design will crap out in a big way. Say 'GRINDING PASTE'... :deadhorse:

It just seems wrong to run a bearing without grease in there.

Now think about it a sec. These newer motors are cranking up the RPM. That bearing is getting a move on now!!! :chainsawguy: Problem with grease is that it is great at carrying a load, but not at that speed. Oil will flow better at this speed. So Stihl quit putting grease holes. Interesting. And bars are lasting just about as long as before. Maybe they know something....

I am also "old school". My windsor has a grease hole, My powermatch has a grease hole. In fact everything else has a grease hole.

I grease them, once in awhile. With white lithium. I have yet to lose a tip.

I really like that idea of a NASA designed sealed bearing. Maintenance free, and sealed for life. Good luck. Look at where that bearing has to go, and what it has to do! Then some schmuck like me is gonna start doing uppercuts at full throttle with 5 cube's of saw! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

-Pat

They get enough lubrication from bar oil my friend... nuff said, case closed.

Gary

Latest posts

Back