Who greases their bar tips???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quit laughing...he might be serious. Hi Gary !

Hi Bob... Yep... instead of canola/olive/linseed/safflower/Florence Henderson oil... I decided on maple syrup. It smells good enuff to eat the bar and chain, and I don't get laffed out of the woods for usin' "other" oils...

Like I posted earlier... the only problem is that Yogi will come around more an wanna check your saw out. However... the last 2 bears that came around while I was cuttin' only wanted to make sure i had a full wrap handle, big dawgs, and a 42" bar on my 361...

Holy cats... I need another beer...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gary

Hi Bob... Yep... instead of canola/olive/linseed/safflower/Florence Henderson oil... I decided on maple syrup. It smells good enuff to eat the bar and chain, and I don't get laffed out of the woods for usin' "other" oils...

Like I posted earlier... the only problem is that Yogi will come around more an wanna check your saw out. However... the last 2 bears that came around while I was cuttin' only wanted to make sure i had a full wrap handle, big dawgs, and a 42" bar on my 361...

Gary

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Gary

:ices_rofl:

that's funny right there...:D

that maple syrup isn't a bad idea!!!! nice and sticky, smells good, will even give a good energy boost if u are lagging-just take a shot and should have plenty of them tackifiers in it that someone was asking about on here a while back:monkey:

o yea, and it should make the Earth People/flower children/barefoot people happy because it is all naturale'

This thread is very interesting to me, I am one who believes onces in a wile you just get a bad tip! those little bearings and and something goes wrong during the manufacturing of the bar and boom the tip goes! I seen it happen on a brand new sthil bar. It was replaced by the dealer and my buddy never had another problem again. I like to think of tip failures as a 1/ in a thousand thing! But when you think of it the bar oil hole and bar carry the lube under the bottom of the chain why do you think some have a hole in the drive links on the bottom? to carry oil? In my opinion all my chains are coated with oil does not matter what kind of oil it is they are wet. I do get a bigger spray using canola or 10/30wt than I do with bar oil and I do go through a little more with canola but it flows much better when it is cold outside my favorite cutting weather.
I turned this into another dam oil thread sorry! But for me and only me I don't have a problem with any of my saws with any oil. Chain life and stretch are good temps are low.And I use Canola because it is dirt cheap very clean and does not stink up the basement were my babies sleep.
Basically I am saying goes what works for you we all form opinions!

for you guys reading this and have been greasing your tips: Don't quit! Explination: If the tip has been greased then continue or you will blow it up. When you start to grease the grease will form a hard covering around the outside of the bearings and will not allow bar oil to get into the bearings and you need to continue to grease to keep them lubed. How ever onceyou get a new bar on the saw then throw the grease gun away and let the bar oil do it.
if your concerned with that a can of brake cleaner would work wonders. Of course dipping the tip in some oil would disolves any gunk as well.

I grease, but only when its wet/snowy or I wont be using the saw for awhile. More or less to keep the bearings from rusting. Cutting Red Oaks on rainy or snowy days will result in rusted tips.
I think keeping your oiler turned to the high setting goes a long way in making bars/tips last longer.

Self destructing tips actually have a lot to do with the operators technique also, twisting, jamming, wrenching, forcing the bar, cutting with the tip only etc.. myself, I've watched many a 'greenhorn' destroying their bars and tips at an alarming rate! Stay smooth, cut efficiently, keep chains 100% sharp 100% of the time, a tip can often outlast the bar

i agreee dean

for you guys reading this and have been greasing your tips: Don't quit! Explination: If the tip has been greased then continue or you will blow it up. When you start to grease the grease will form a hard covering around the outside of the bearings and will not allow bar oil to get into the bearings and you need to continue to grease to keep them lubed. How ever onceyou get a new bar on the saw then throw the grease gun away and let the bar oil do it.
:cheers: just what i have found:clap:

I do, always have since running Huskies, cannot remember about my earlier saws. Dont know why I do, have the grease gun and there are grease holes there so I guess thats good enough reason, although I am not convinced that it actually has any real benefit.

Latest posts

Back