Who greases their bar tips???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For many years I didn't grease, last few years I always grease. Never had a tip go bad. I think I will stop greasing now that this has been discussed here, thanks all!:popcorn:

Aren't Woodsman Pro and Cannon bars using Oregon sprocket tips? I grease em and often. When they remove the grease hole I will stop.

Cannon makes it's own tips - a different steel than Oregon. Cannon tips show hardly any wear, but they spread and the bearings are lacking. Oregon tips (black) have the better bearings, but wear too easily.
I use Cannon's buy them about 10 at a time.

There is no such thing as a good tip in my business. I don't grease, never had much luck.

Just because its a roller bearing doesn't mean it needs grease...how much grease is on the crankshaft mains...:popcorn:

I never grease my tips and I use Canola oil no problem with tip life. However I did get a new Carlton bar and the tip felt scratchy when I turned it by hand gave it a little shot of grease before I used it and that did smooth it out.

I'm another canola/soybean oil user and have never greased the tip. Unless they're added, it does not have tackifiers and the tips do a lot of "flinging." Since this is the case and since veggie is generally thinner (more is used), most of the dirt seems to leave the bar. Since my perception is that the veggie doesn't adhere as well I have, on occasion, soaked the tip in oil just to be sure its getting fed. I honestly don't know if this is necessary, but its easy. Puleeeze don't let this turn into a "veggie bar oil" thread, I'll catch hell for it. :buttkick:

to grease or not too grease

i find that before i use a brand new bar or one that shows any signs of gettin stiff i grease the thing. also it depens also what type of grease you use here in the pnw i use a white lithhium for sproket bearings and nose tip bearings. this stuff is tougher and sticks really good. just my beer monies worth:cheers:

I dont grease. Only once have I had a tip blow out that it was'nt time to retire anyway.The last year or so I have had much better luck with Windsor bars and tips than the Oregon I used in the past. Less wear and no chiping.
When I take a saw in to clean I like to blow the bar clean with air. It will really clean the tip out to where it will turn a thousand MPH just with air.

The crank bearings are lubricated by the oil in the fuel mix, eh? :popcorn::popcorn:

You could lubricate your clutch drum bearing w/mix oil if you removed your crank seal, then you could have a greaseless saw.....:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

for you guys reading this and have been greasing your tips: Don't quit! Explination: If the tip has been greased then continue or you will blow it up. When you start to grease the grease will form a hard covering around the outside of the bearings and will not allow bar oil to get into the bearings and you need to continue to grease to keep them lubed. How ever onceyou get a new bar on the saw then throw the grease gun away and let the bar oil do it.

for you guys reading this and have been greasing your tips: Don't quit! Explination: If the tip has been greased then continue or you will blow it up. When you start to grease the grease will form a hard covering around the outside of the bearings and will not allow bar oil to get into the bearings and you need to continue to grease to keep them lubed. How ever onceyou get a new bar on the saw then throw the grease gun away and let the bar oil do it.

I would think some WD-40 would clean that out if one wished to do it

edit:

also this stuff is great if you would care to try it

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

Last edited:
Since I started using maple syrup as bar oil... i have noticed that the bearings will smell like pancakes... which attracts bears...

Guess I should use something different...:sucks: :sucks: :sucks:

Gary

Back