Who here is our oldest woodcutter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cheers:
My other thread about my buddies losing their "spark" for woodcutting got me thinking-who here is our oldest woodcutter? How old are our "elder statesmen" here that still have that spark in 'em that are still cutting, hauling, stacking and burning wood?

Let's hear it....:greenchainsaw:

Im 41!(not the oldest nor the youngest) All i can say is God bless to all the older folks that are out there and still doing it(though i don't know how) And thank you to the younger folks for keeping our way of life alive":cheers:

I didn't know there are two mountains in N.H. with the Kearsarge name. I knew there were more than one ship named Kearsarge. The carrier I was on CVS-33 was scraped back in the early 90's.

Her sister ship the Oriskany CVS-34 was sunk (on purpose) just off the coast of Pensacola, Florida to make a refuge for sea creatures and scuba divers.

There is another carrier named Kearsarge now. It is one which carries Marines and Helicopters. I don't know the correct letters to place before the number but it is number 3. I do remember reading a few years back where the marines rescued a downed pilot in Bosnia from that ship.

Nosmo

Chain Lock Up Solution

Harry said, "...Got 3 saws to sharp and 1 to figure out why the chain keeps locking up (not the brake, it jams up somehow)..."
----------------
Sounds like it might be the roller nose. Take the chain off and use a putty knife to dig out all the crud in the bar. Then check that roller nose. Clean that in a pool of mixed gas, and then be sure to pump Moly grease into the small holes, if it has any. Mine has two, one on each side of the bar.

That should end your bar/chain lock ups forever. The only other thing than could be causing this is a bad sprocket. Check the teeth. If badly worn, buy a new one.

Harry said, "...Got 3 saws to sharp and 1 to figure out why the chain keeps locking up (not the brake, it jams up somehow)..."
----------------
Sounds like it might be the roller nose. Take the chain off and use a putty knife to dig out all the crud in the bar. Then check that roller nose. Clean that in a pool of mixed gas, and then be sure to pump Moly grease into the small holes, if it has any. Mine has two, one on each side of the bar.

That should end your bar/chain lock ups forever. The only other thing than could be causing this is a bad sprocket. Check the teeth. If badly worn, buy a new one.

Yep, was the sprocket nose. The teeth on it were bunged up, bar nose worn in a V (got this one out of a pawn shop and put many an hour on it after). Fixed it with the handy dandy credit card and call to Bailey's.

1:30 pm Just finished my list of jobs and even had a honeydo added into it. Quit on the chainsaws with one left to sharp, the ms210 limber - it'll do for tomorrow. Having second thoughts about that. It was already uncomfortably warm at 10 am. Being an old fogey I am authorized to complain about anything I want. :)

Harry K

Harry, I ran into this on my Echo 3900 about three years ago. It locked up habitually, even though the oiler was working fine. The clean up and Moly grease did it for me. I've never had any Mac lock up that was getting a good supply of oil from the pump.

Occasionally the MS 361 chain will lock up when it gets hot. Not sure what's causing that. Maybe I'm running the chain too tight? The roller nose on the 361 has nowhere to add grease. I decided to increase the oil flow on the 361 (it's variable) to see if that fixes it. If anyone has any ideas, holler. I suppose it might be worth a post on the chainsaw forum.

I use good chain oil.

Thought I was getting old at 58 this month.Wife keeps telling me I won't last too much longer cutting firewood.Heres a shoot of me this spring at a charity cut in Wis. standing on a pile of some of the wood we cut.
attachment.php
Hope to still be cutting for a long time:givebeer:

And here he is showing us how to hang a huskey:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Had to do it buddy couldn't resist.

Beefie

I've had the roller nose begin locking up when noodling pine. Heck noodling pine fills up everything - nose and chain case too. hah

Here's one I noodled up last March and it is the one I am now burning out the stump.

Nosmo
attachment.php

How do you prepare your stumps for burning. I just had to remove a MulBerry that was still alive. Debating on getting a grinder or triing to burn it out next year...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Got about a cord of wood out of it...

That's one of our youngest cutters on the stump. Gotta train them so they can cut my wood for me when I get old...

Mulberry Stumps

Let mulberry rounds dry a month of so. Split them, and then let the splits air dry at least nine months. Otherwise, it won't burn worth a hoot.

If you have patience and let it dry, it burns well with a snap, crackle, and a pop!

Don't figure to burn it before the 12/13 heating season...got about 30 cords on hand now, should have 40 by heating season...

I doubt that I have ever seen that much mulberry processed as firewood. Simply amazing. You are sure that it really is mulberry? I'm flabbergasted. Any Pics? :dizzy:

====

Oh no, fraid I may have misled you. The only MulBery is the tree shown, bout 1 cord, the rest is that worthless PNW Pine of one kind or another, Lodge Pole, Red Fir, Doug Fir and Tamarack. Triing to burn the house down....:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

How do you prepare your stumps for burning. I just had to remove a MulBerry that was still alive. Debating on getting a grinder or triing to burn it out next year...
I've burned out a lot of stumps in the past doing this. I dig down around the stump to the roots and then in between the roots and tunnel under them. I set a 55 gallon barrel on the stump and begin a fire letting the coals work on the stump and others fall down between the roots. I was told many years ago " you've got to get your fire going underneath to do any good ".

This time I am trying something new because those roots are so close together and are large buttress types. In March I bored holes and put in that Stump Rot material (salt peter) and now I am burning on it. The label on the material said pour kerosene or diesel in the holes and it will smolder after lighting it. Thats what it is doing now.

I'll put up a couple pictures of a large elm stump I got rid of and how the area looked afterwards.

Nosmo

Last Year Stump Removal

Here is the stump of a large Elm I cut down in April 2009. It was between two pines and was dropping small dead limbs and trying to crowd out the pines.

This one was too big around to get a barrel over the stump. I cut the tree up and used the bigger stuff to burn out the stump. I used the dig down and under the roots method and it took 3-4 days to get it completely out.

Nosmo

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=143413&stc=1&d=1278755192[/IMG]
attachment.php
attachment.php
[

I don't know why but in the above post picture #354 did not upload. It should have been the first. Here's what the scene looked like before I began burning.

Nosmo
attachment.php

Like bigolejon said it not as much fun as it used to be. I had to take off a little this spring as I had a knee replaced and need to have the other one done, but I have started back again. I'll 72 next April. Lester

Back