Who is still firing up their stove this season?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the stove fired up a couple nights ago. Meant to get it lit up last night and lost track of time. Love every bit of it!

I have two stoves one upstairs one downstairs we have burning the one upstairs round the clock for the last several days temp has been dipping into the low 30's high 20's at night this past week. Thinking about firing the downstairs stove up tonight.

I'm green with envy. Here in the Mid Atlantic we have finally warmed up again enough that I can't "light one up" for fear of roasting my wife while I do it. The cold spell and three days of burning was fun while it lasted.

I surely gotta’ believe I’m done.
Lit a fire Friday night and pretty much kept it going on low to Sunday morning.
The weather gurus are sayin’ 80’s for this week… and that puts us well into May.
Yep, pretty darn sure I’m done now.

Ahhh yes… May… thunderstorms, hail, twisters, power outages, mosquitoes, ticks, poison ivy, biting flies, floods, mowing, itch weed, nettles, chiggers, and by the end of the month… a few days of oppressive heat and humidity. Ain’t spring great? My parents just left for the lake home in Minnesota… ‘cause they don’t want to deal with May yet... up there they get an extra 2-3 weeks before they haf'ta deal with it.

The stoves will be burned until they're not needed---usually never. When it gets into the 80's Downeast (rarely), it's time to get out the groin coolers like they use in the Southwest to cool the sheep for breeding. Spidy wanted to know.:msp_scared:

Typical spring hereabouts is daytime temps maybe up to 60 F, mornings down to freezing ( now up to 34 F ). This is the Shoulder season for using those softwood blowdowns for the stoves taking it away from the workshop and hot tub.

Then in a couple of weeks come Black Flies. Then mozzies. Then Deerflies. Ticks have been around all winter. Then the Summer People and Tourists and "Guests" come wondering when we're going for lobster. Woe.

Off topic ( pardon moi ) for all you fathers with teenage boys: my 13 y.o. nephew is coming from SoCal in June for 2 weeks; unaccompanied minor to be picked up down in Portland. Ideas of what-to-do ? His mom is one of those "Tiger Moms". Do I put him to the unfinished stacking in the wood shed ? Have him run some hill climbs with us ? Show him the finer points of chainsaws ? Help.

Last edited:
i threw an armload in the ol' hungry monster(OWB) last friday evening and hopin' when i shut the blower assembly off today,,it'll be the final shut down of the season..clean the ashes out and get the drum oiled up 'till next fall...

.....if it hits the upper 70's-low 8o's this week it looks like i'll be doin' a "stress-test" of the central air conditioning..depends on the nite time temps, i know, i know,,,a fire one day and a/c the next!! since i had the tree trimmers take out my big shady maple last year i get full sun from sun up to sun down and this old place, in spite of insulating the attic a while back,, heats up. i hate the high humidity of indiana.

Think we burned our last one last night. Looks like 80's all week here so I'm probably done until October as well. We have an exhaust fan in the house that we can run at night to cool it down if it gets that hot so hopefully I won't be touching the AC until middle/end of June

Gives me time to get the OWB installed for next season!

13 year old.....?

The stoves will be burned until they're not needed---usually never. When it gets into the 80's Downeast (rarely), it's time to get out the groin coolers like they use in the Southwest to cool the sheep for breeding. Spidy wanted to know.:msp_scared:

Typical spring hereabouts is daytime temps maybe up to 60 F, mornings down to freezing ( now up to 34 F ). This is the Shoulder season for using those softwood blowdowns for the stoves taking it away from the workshop and hot tub.

Then in a couple of weeks come Black Flies. Then mozzies. Then Deerflies. Ticks have been around all winter. Then the Summer People and Tourists and "Guests" come wondering when we're going for lobster. Woe.

Off topic ( pardon moi ) for all you fathers with teenage boys: my 13 y.o. nephew is coming from SoCal in June for 2 weeks; unaccompanied minor to be picked up down in Portland. Ideas of what-to-do ? His mom is one of those "Tiger Moms". Do I put him to the unfinished stacking in the wood shed ? Have him run some hill climbs with us ? Show him the finer points of chainsaws ? Help.
:arg: I'll apologize ahead of time for helping hijack the thread, sorry.:redface: I have a 20 year old (in college at this moment), and I still remember that giving him "some" good ol' hard work helping me stack wood was never a bad thing, of course treating him to an ice cream after never hurt his feelings. With him being a young man he now helps me with my take downs when he's home from college. His personal favorite is splitting wood. Getting back on topic (sort of) you could show him the finer points of getting your wood stove fired up on these cold nights we're getting. :D Hope that helps.....

Tick and stove season is a happy confluence. Pull'em off, toss 'em on a hot stovetop, and all is good. The little pop sound is fun - but not the bloated ticks if you're wearing light color shirts. I have one white shirt that took the fast track to the ragpile after a tick splatter. :mad:

firing it up

Had the first cold snap come through, snow down south overnight just a frost up here,-2 this morning. 51f out at the moment with a cool southerly wind. Meant to blow over tonight with a return to normal autumn weather 5-6f mornings and 65-68f days.Deb lit the fire last night and it has gone all day

Let him run some saws, and take him out shooting. Acadia is right around the corner, and there's some good hiking there. Watching the sun come up from the top of Cadillac is pretty nice as well. He'll probably complain about doing some chores, but if he has something fun to look forward to it'll help. :D

Back