Who took advantage of 22ton tsc sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is . My wife secretly saved up and bought it for me for my birthday

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56
IMG_20131130_150744_944.jpg I made the maiden voyage with the champion splitter I bought last night at RK. So fare so good. After adding all the necessary liquids it fired up on the second d pull and seems to run smooth and pretty quiet. Seems like the chi-coms did a pretty good job of copying the Honda engine. I split some nasty red oak and mulberry and the thing wasn't fased. Flotec I wish my wife took after yours ,I had to sleep on the couch after my impulse buy.

Yeah my wife is really great she supports my nutty ideas right down to my 73 charger build

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
I picked up a Huskee 22 ton yesterday from TSC. Pretty dang excited! It's been all hand splitting for me since I started burning wood, but too many little (and sometimes not so little) back injuries from trying to split gnarly rounds by hand...this thing is gonna have me spoiled quick!

I didn't really need to finance it, but $949 plus 18 months same as cash, no interest? Why not...I can pay for the splitter pretty easily by selling 5 cords of wood!

Haven't gotten the chance to give it a true workout, but I did fire it up last night as I got it home at dusk. Gonna change the oil to synthetic 5w30 tomorrow and do some splitting and share some pics.

Philbo, if you are referring to the engine oil, wait. An engine needs to be broke in before switching to synthetic. Just FYI...

Ok, good to know. I was looking through the manual last night and noticed that synthetic 5w30 was the only oil they recommended that was safe in all temps. I'm not sure exactly what weight they put in it when they throw em together at the store, but I'm not sure if it's the best oil for cold (under 40*) temps.

Not supposed to be that frigid this week anyway.

I bought my 22 ton huskee on sale for $900 about 5 yrs ago and couldn't be happier. I don't know why you'd need anything bigger if your a homeowner. It has split everything I throw at it and the only thing I've maintained is the fluids. Or I should say my Dad, brothers, or buddies do when they borrow it as a thankyou. It has gotten me a few nice wood hookups in my early cutting days too. Everyone has a saw. Guys with splitters get invited sooner;)

Ok, good to know. I was looking through the manual last night and noticed that synthetic 5w30 was the only oil they recommended that was safe in all temps. I'm not sure exactly what weight they put in it when they throw em together at the store, but I'm not sure if it's the best oil for cold (under 40*) temps.

Not supposed to be that frigid this week anyway.

On my Speeco they said the same thing regarding oil and cold temps. However they said it may use a little oil if the 5w30 is used so monitor it. I run straight 30# in mine since it sits in a heated garage and the temp will not be below 40 degrees. The 5 position choke on the B/S works very well and generally starts first pull.

I'm not sure exactly what weight they put in it when they throw em together at the store, but I'm not sure if it's the best oil for cold (under 40*) temps.

Not tryin' to be a smart-azz or anything (well... maybe a little), but at temperatures above 30° you can run 20w-50 in 'em... LOL
I run 10w-30 in all the small engines until temperatures drop permanently into the teens and single digits (New Years or thereabouts), then I switch to 5w-20 for a couple months.
Synthetics?? I don't pay attention... just buy whatever's on sale the cheapest at the time, sometimes it's a synthetic or a blend, sometimes it ain't. In small engines it don't much matter, the oil needs changed every 50 hours or 90 days regardless. I just use the 90 day schedule when it's being used... 'bout the only thing that gets used year 'round is the little tractor so it gets new blood 4 times a year, most everything else 3 times. I figure I can't be doing wrong; the little tractor is a 1968 Sears, still fires right up and runs good in any weather... and don't use enough oil to force me to add between changes. Really, in small engines, if it's time to add oil, I figure it's time to change oil... just can't see adding a ½ pint when most of 'em only use 1½ - 2½ pints total.

My understanding is the weight of oil used is for the original start up. The instructions said heavier weight oil makes starting harder and were hard on the motor until warmed up enough. If it is real cold out say, zero and the motor is from a heated garage at 60 degrees the 30 weight oil is just fine because when it's running because it sure isn't going to cool off. I put it away ASAP in the heated garage when done splitting.

So if it's stored outside and cold, use lighter oil. If started from a warm environment, it really doesn't matter.

I purchased a 22 ton husky last January on sale. Since then I changed out the spark plug (for easier starting) added a dual wheel trailer jack (a lot easier to move around) atv hand grip on hydraulic lever (no more sore hands) 2 log cradles and a lawn mower throttle control (no more leaning over to lower or stop the engine) and still had a few bucks left over after selling 25 years worth of stuff in my garage. The splitter has never failed to split anything.

Got an hour or so of good splitting and stacking in with the new splitter this afternoon. What a treat...my pops has a old powered splitter that's only vertical and that wears on your back pretty quickly having to bend down and up and hold the wood in place. I split everything this afternoon in horizontal position and it was way less fatiguing to me. Even the big stuff wasn't bad. I bought a log cradle along with the splitter but haven't put it on yet. That should help also with less splits falling onto ground.

Here's some pics. This thing busted through some pretty gnarly, knotty pieces of sugar maple. Slowly at times, but steadily. Diggin' it so far!

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
I purchased a 22 ton husky last January on sale. Since then I changed out the spark plug (for easier starting) added a dual wheel trailer jack (a lot easier to move around) atv hand grip on hydraulic lever (no more sore hands) 2 log cradles and a lawn mower throttle control (no more leaning over to lower or stop the engine) and still had a few bucks left over after selling 25 years worth of stuff in my garage. The splitter has never failed to split anything.

Why don't you just hire out for somebody else to split your wood. You sound a little tender and annoyed with work.:ices_rofl:

I like work, but for my age with arthritis in the knees and herniated disks in my back it makes the job easier. Not everyone is in perfect shape like yourself, but I do what I can to get by and thought the tips might help someone!

Back