Why are flippy caps hated?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good idea. why don't you design and patent it!!! i don't have a problem with flippies and wish they were on all saws. i have never had a leak and i like that i can check the liquids without pulling out a scrench.

Ya know a little secret, if you don't overtighten the screw cap you don't need a scrench:rolleyes: The stihl flippy is a lame excuse in engineering and I really feel the same yah who designed the safety fuel can which is the most ridiculous thing ever made in the name of safety.:dizzy: I guess for home owners flippy's suit a need but this pro just likes his saws to be simple not over engineered rubix cubed contraptions full of maintenance issues:monkey:
Now air filtration:poke:

At first, Space said you need no scrench at all, saying that you have no business running a saw if you need the scrench to put on or remove the cap.

Now he says you need it to remove it but not to tighten it, which I could agree with to a point.
Like I said before, if it's overtightened, you will need a scrench to remove it. However, if you use it correctly, you will not need a scrench to remove it.

As far as my experience, I grew up burning wood. When I was old enough, I cut wood as our sole heat source for over a decade. I sold wood professionally for over a year. I've been around saws plenty. I cut a lot of cords with a Stihl 034, and I never even bothered bringing a scrench, because it simply wasn't needed in the field. Just because I went back to school has no bearing on my experience.

The main thing I don't like about the flip cap is that it's kinda hard to use while wearing a thick Anti-Vibe glove. Other than that it seems to work ok and I have not had any leaks from any of mine.

Like I said before, if it's overtightened, you will need a scrench to remove it. However, if you use it correctly, you will not need a scrench to remove it.

As far as my experience, I grew up burning wood. When I was old enough, I cut wood as our sole heat source for over a decade. I sold wood professionally for over a year. I've been around saws plenty. I cut a lot of cords with a Stihl 034, and I never even bothered bringing a scrench, because it simply wasn't needed in the field. Just because I went back to school has no bearing on my experience.

Part of the mystery that is Space, is revealed. :cheers:

The most beautiful woman on the planet still has pms. Does that make pms desirable? :)

Kind of an apt example. Another reason why cougar hunting seems to be gaining in popularity. They get a little friendlier once the hot flashes subside. :)

The comparison I was thinking of was a little different. My boy picked up a few ticks the other day playing down by the brook. Their being physically attached to my son didn't make me any fonder of ticks.

My main beef with the new caps is that they unseat real easy if you even slightly overfill. Did that once. Old dog learning a new trick.

On the plus side, all this complaining that pervades the discussion gives me a bargaining tool if I'm buying second hand. Anti-flippy rhetoric got me $20 of from my 360. :clap:

Since the caps make it easier to avoid the exorbitant dealer markups by getting good equipment secondhand, I'll cast my lot amongst the pro-cap faction. :)

How's that for damning with faint praise. :givebeer:

Oh wise one guess what, its impossible to over tighten or under tighten a flippy cap regardless of how you use it. Has a little bell now gone off in ya noggin, is it going ding ding ding, yes grasshopper the mighty flippy cap has resolved the over tighten and under tighten issues of fuel and oil caps. Amazing huh, why I'm shocked you didn't realize that. No need for thanks, in fact it was my pleasure to counter your arguement. The almighty flippy cap has now buried one deep within your belly of understanding why it was made in the first place, no over tighten, no under tighten, no scrench, its tooless, imagine that, why no wonder its the most popular cap in America,:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

Oh wise one guess what, its impossible to over tighten or under tighten a flippy cap regardless of how you use it. Has a little bell now gone off in ya noggin, is it going ding ding ding, yes grasshopper the mighty flippy cap has resolved the over tighten and under tighten issues of fuel and oil caps. Amazing huh, why I'm shocked you didn't realize that. No need for thanks, in fact it was my pleasure to counter your arguement. The almighty flippy cap has now buried one deep within your belly of understanding why it was made in the first place, no over tighten, no under tighten, no scrench, its tooless, imagine that, why no wonder its the most popular cap in America,:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

The "most popular cap in America"? Only because if you want the "best saw in America" you have no choice but to take the goofy flippy cap in the deal.

I use them, I'm used to them, and I can make them work right. Do I really like them? Nope. :greenchainsaw:

The "most popular cap in America"? Only because if you want the "best saw in America" you have no choice but to take the goofy flippy cap in the deal.

I use them, I'm used to them, and I can make them work right. Do I really like them? Nope. :greenchainsaw:
not being real brand sensitive like say, ST or space, but theres is some logic in this.
Woodbugga pointed it out eariler.

If I started with flippy caps I probably would not have a problem with them. Generally, fixing something that does not have a problem (regular screw-on caps) will annoy many, myself included. They seem to work ok for the most part, but I do now have a little pile of broken ones. Moving parts break more than non-moving ones, unless the non-moving ones were flawed (which they weren't, in this case). In my case, the flippy's do the job, but the screw on caps just didn't need an upgrade, simple as that. Sometimes upgrades are good because they address problems, other times they are just a tactic to get you to buy the next item they slap on the shelf.

They might actually be SLIGHTLY more convenient. There's no doubt in my mind that there is a cost in reliability, though. I prefer the screw-on cap as part of an overall "less is more" philosophy regarding chainsaws. The KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid) reigns supreme when reliability is critical.

The tool-less tensioner thing seems like a pretty good idea to me, but it would have to work as well as the scrench method. What they have done so far has been pretty rinky-dink.

Best, and one of the most relevant posts in this whole fiasco of a thread.

I have both and do prefer the last generation screw-on caps for their simplicity but don't hate the flippys either. I certainly don't think the recessed Husky caps with breakable "wings" are better though.....:dizzy:

It has been entertaining though. Can certainly pick out who are the actual sawyers and who were well into Independence Day festivities all weekend long...... (OK, some crossed over both criteria). Damn funny vids Andy.:clap::cheers:

LOL, true indeed. Its kinda like getting the best TV made and getting a remote with it that you hate but that clear beautifull picture makes it worth it,LOLOL

LOL, true indeed. Its kinda like getting the best TV made and getting a remote with it that you hate but that clear beautifull picture makes it worth it,LOLOL

I don't have a phd in conflict resolution or anything, but it looks as though we may have an area of broad agreement. Stihl - great product with lousey caps.

I'm thinking that it may have been a conscious decision to give the folks at HusqCo a fighting chance. Like if I were to play one-on-one with LeBron James, he'd sport me a few points by way of a handicap.

Maybe that's what we should be calling them - handicaps. E.g., My 360 has handicaps.

(Gotta admit, the caps sure are handy!) :)

Latest posts

Back