Why Are Saws So Addicting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what makes saws so easy to get hooked on. I'm a 48yo country boy and I've been using saws since before I could drive - never as a profession, but regularly anyway. I never really paid them a lot of attention, they were just tools that seemed kinda cheap and often didn't work well. Cars was what I was into, and I was tearing them apart before I could drive them too.

I decided to learn more about them because I'm heating full time with wood now and I need my saws to work. I don't have time to deal with equipment failures when I'm supposed to be doing a job. I got my Dad's old McCulloch as backup when the 2775 was not working, and it needed a few things I and ended up finding this site when I was researching it. Then I decided I should learn more so all the saws would function the way they should. And then I discovered they're fun to play with.

But for me at this stage this is quite ironic. I believe that very soon our access to oil and gasoline and diesel will be severely cut back. It will become increasingly expensive and often hard to get. I do not care much about cars anymore - I still have them and I still have to do a lot of mechanic work to keep the cars, trucks, tractors and other equipment running. After a lot of years of turning wrenches I can fix most anything, but it is a chore rather than a passion. My main interests are in learning to survive without as much oil and energy. And then I go an get into chainsaws. Why?

1. I'm tired of working on my back under a big piece of equipment - with a saw you can put it on your bench. Everything is small, which makes it much less of a chore - I can go out to the barn at night a play with one for a while without it being some big project.

2. They don't cost that much so I can have several - that means I don't need to fix one NOW so I can use it NOW. So tired of that routine!

3. There were a large number of manufacturers trying a lot of different ideas, and some of those saws are still around, which makes it interesting. They work rather well, and there is still a decent variety of styles. The parts are pretty neat and the engineering is mature.

4. It gets me out in the woods. I love the woods.

5. A saw is probably the best example of the energy stored in gasoline. Look what you can do with such a small amount of fuel. Plus you hold that large amount of power in your hands. Every time I cut with one I think of what it would take to do the same work with hand tools.

6. Even if gasoline gets very expensive, I can cut my firewood with a small amount. Since that fuel enables me to heat my home, that means I can afford to spend quite a lot for it. And that in turn means that a chainsaw will be one of the last, best uses of gasoline

Wow, it is scary to read your post. It seriously is like I'm reading about myself. Worked on cars for years, drag raced, few years ago I started heating with wood, got into saws, etc.

Yesterday I was disappointed cause I had no wood to cut or split- I had already done it all :(

Wow, it is scary to read your post. It seriously is like I'm reading about myself. Worked on cars for years, drag raced, few years ago I started heating with wood, got into saws, etc.

Yesterday I was disappointed cause I had no wood to cut or split- I had already done it all :(

If you start going into withdrawals come on down!
I can keep you busy for a few days!!!

Mike

I forgot to add a big thank you to those who've shared their knowledge. In a few short weeks I've learned enough to increase the availability and effectiveness of my saws by many multiples. Every one works now, and much better than it ever did. I even gave the MS250 back to my dad - now working and sharp - so he's got a backup.

WoodHeatWorrior
If ya think it's bad now, just wait till ya start moddin them.
I also have grown tired of bein on my back workin on rigs. I've been puttin up with not havein 2nd gear in my yruck all summer just cuase I dread the thought of pullin the T-case & tranny again. I can do it in about 45 min, but just don't like it as much as I used to. I'd rather sit on my stool @ the worktable & build saws from scratch out of boxes of parts.

3 reasons ..

1. Power
2. Danger
3. The ability to inflict scars

Men love all three!

For some real fun, tear about 4 or 5 apart at the same time, on the same bench, then come back a few weeks later and put them back together.

Saws are so easy, even a "Caveman" can do 'em. Learning to file a chain is alot more difficult.

For me I like the adventure going in the woods felling big timber being on cliffs. You better have the right saw and make sure its sharp or no wood or a paycheck if you can't be productive. I love the smell of fresh cut pine and fir.

For me?

Saws are addictive because:

1) I can take what someone else thinks is worthless or next to worthless, and for very little money (usually) make them functioning tools again.

2) There is not much risk in buying a non-working saw; if you can't fix it, you are not out alot of money. Cars are NOT similar

3) After you fix a saw (or four), you don't have to get rid of it (them) because you have no storage room. Cars are NOT similar

4) Parts are (usually) not a bank account drainer. Cars are NOT similar

5) My success rate for fixing saws is very high.

6) When a friend brings a non-working saw or string trimmer to me, they don't expect success. It's mucho fun to hand them back a working tool for next to no money spent.

7) Because most people are lazy and won't take the time to even TRY to fix something that doesn't cost alot, most problems are relatively minor.

I think fixing saws for most of us appeals to the "scrounger" in us. Be honest - how many of you have pulled 2-stroke equipment out of someone else's trash? I got two of my best string trimmers that way - and my main lawn mower.

For some real fun, tear about 4 or 5 apart at the same time, on the same bench, then come back a few weeks later and put them back together

WEEKS. My Echo CS-1001 was tore down for 3 years or more in 3 different piles until i got a brain fart on how to fix it LOL...Bob

don't know. started out that i needed them. "work". then ? will it end. ? do i want it to end ? not yet.:msp_rolleyes:

Last edited:
I got into saws by accident! I had a house built and had a stove put in it. I knew that with the size increase of the new house, heating it with propane was going to cost some serious money. So I asked for a saw the xmas before we were going to move into the new house. I found this site looking for info on my new saw. Then it was all down hill from there!

Then things changed for me. I cut firewood with my father in the fall. It has become a time that I look forward too and cherish. My father was in the navy for most of his adult life, so he was gone a lot. My mother last year had a liver transplant and we almost lost her. I now jealously guard the time spent with my folks. Life is so short and fleeting!

I love the smell of fresh cut pinon and juniper in the morning!

Mike

I am wondering if the oil manufacturers aren't putting weed in the two stroke oil, that would explain the head rush and why I end up buying another saw shortly after cutting........ I don't even have a real need for wood, I can heat my house with electric and the bill never goes over 175, but yet I keep buying more saws.

I also think part of CAD is the challenge of putting together a model, like I used to do when I was a kid with the plastic models and airplane glue.

Great feeling taking that old box of parts and heating your house with it, and the woods is the place to be in the fall with horsepower and sharps:clap:

I am wondering if the oil manufacturers aren't putting weed in the two stroke oil, that would explain the head rush and why I end up buying another saw shortly after cutting........ I don't even have a real need for wood, I can heat my house with electric and the bill never goes over 175, but yet I keep buying more saws.

175----Frig ,, I am on even billing and my electric is double yours AND I heat with wood and propane:angry::angry::angry:

Too many kids and a poorly insulated house makes the electric sky... Who left the HOT water running while we were out??? Why is the fridge door open, A/C at 68 not good enough???, why are all 12 of the basement lights on all day???:bang::bang:

Back