Why Are Saws So Addicting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
175----Frig ,, I am on even billing and my electric is double yours AND I heat with wood and propane:angry::angry::angry:

Too many kids and a poorly insulated house makes the electric sky... Who left the HOT water running while we were out??? Why is the fridge door open, A/C at 68 not good enough???, why are all 12 of the basement lights on all day???:bang::bang:

Here is the best part, I heat my house with older 220 volt baseboard heaters and my house is a vintage 70's modular home. The plus side of baseboard heat is I only have to heat the rooms I want warm. But my windows/doors are tight, the house has been insulated and vinyl sided over the original exterior and the attic has been filled with blown in insulatation.

There is nothing more exciting than cutting down a large tree, the pop of the hinge, the dead branches falling all around, the thunderous crash of thousands of pounds of wood hitting the ground, really gets the blood flowing and makes you feel alive. Being able to use different saws to accomplish the same goal is icing on the cake.

For me I like the adventure going in the woods felling big timber being on cliffs. You better have the right saw and make sure its sharp or no wood or a paycheck if you can't be productive. I love the smell of fresh cut pine and fir.

I love the smell of fresh cut pine and fir also but I love the smell of black birch better.:smile2:

5. A saw is probably the best example of the energy stored in gasoline. Look what you can do with such a small amount of fuel. Plus you hold that large amount of power in your hands. Every time I cut with one I think of what it would take to do the same work with hand tools.

So true, It amazes me all the time how much work can be done with a can of fuel and a chainsaw.
Firewood cutting in the pre-chainsaw era was not as fun as today I reckon. My back hurts already by even thinking of it.

WEEKS. My Echo CS-1001 was tore down for 3 years or more in 3 different piles until i got a brain fart on how to fix it LOL...Bob

My 031AV was apart for more than 3 years as well. Then I found this site and decided it was time to put it back together. It was a good feeling to hear that old saw run again. After doing more research here I decided to do a muffler mod on my brand new MS290. It really woke that saw up and i thought it was pretty good before. I think I am getting CAD too. I haven't added anymore saws to my collection yet but scan CL daily to see what is out there. Missed out on a nice Dolmar because I was out of town. Missed out on a cheap Craftsman too.

So true, It amazes me all the time how much work can be done with a can of fuel and a chainsaw.
Firewood cutting in the pre-chainsaw era was not as fun as today I reckon. My back hurts already by even thinking of it.

True but every time I swing my splitting axe it's the same way our four fathers did.Hydraulic splitting is available but many still use a maul.

Bingo. The tools of my youth were a crosscut, bowsaw, axe, mule and sled. Any saw that starts on command and runs well is a marvel. I do miss the quiet conversations with my grandfather in his woodyard.

Holding the power in your hands. The smell of the two stroke. The smell of the sawdust. Dropping a BIG (all relative) tree. Making short work of what used to take a long time with a bow saw while camping as a kid. The simplicity of a tool that makes what would be back breaking labor enjoyable.

I secretly like doing puzzles. Chainsaws are THE BEST puzzles around. And if you do them right... vrooom! The pay off is huge. It's given me a great hobby for years now and all my saws put together don't amount to the cost of buying a mediocre used car which, frankly, will need a lot more money. In fact, having sold lots of saws and parts, I'm probably not that far from breaking even.

I think I got hooked the first year when I cut a $1000 worth of oak with a $50, long-shot Husky 41 I picked up off Fleabay. A little tinkering and joila! Fresh air, some sweat, lots of satisfaction and plenty of winter warmth. It tickled every cave-man gene I have.

Oh, and the neighbors fear me slightly, thats always good. :D

Good thread!

I don't even have a real need for wood, I can heat my house with electric and the bill never goes over 175, but yet I keep buying more saws.
I feel your pain as I live in the city, home is heated by natural gas. Yet there is just something about those darned saws calling out to me...

True but every time I swing my splitting axe it's the same way our four fathers did.Hydraulic splitting is available but many still use a maul.
I still split by hand. It's faster, it's quieter, it's great exercise. I also tend to get hurt most trying to move big logs, so lately I've gone to splitting and stacking in place. I gather the stacks up later, but at least it's been drying during that time. If it's too big or knarly to split by hand I leave it. However, a couple of years ago we got a second, smaller stove, so now I have something to do with those too short pieces, or the ones that are slightly too long. I can also shave those nasty big pieces down, and they're more practical to split up in short lengths. Lastly, it gives me an excuse to collect cool splitting tools - I had Axe Addictive Disorder long before I got CAD.

For me there is an added feeling of knowing that if I ain't on top of my game when operating a saw there are some serious ramifications that might occur. Lots of us have lost good friends in felling accidents and living on that edge distracts me from the complete utter boredom of my "day" job.

That and the smell of fresh cut Red Oak or some Maple...man that is intoxicating to me. Some of my cutting buddies laugh at me when I stick my nose in a round and breath that in. I guess that comes from spending too many years next to an oven.

Great thread!

I used to be into airplanes but then I had kids. Then it was motorcycles but thanks to the county dropping a pile of pea gravel on the back side of a blind corner, I don't that do anymore.

But a chainsaw will provide me with heat for my home and they are a blast to run. Especially as they get bigger and bigger. :hmm3grin2orange:

There is nothing more exciting than cutting down a large tree, the pop of the hinge, the dead branches falling all around, the thunderous crash of thousands of pounds of wood hitting the ground, really gets the blood flowing and makes you feel alive. Being able to use different saws to accomplish the same goal is icing on the cake.

Absolutely!!

Yep this is a great thread! I loved working on cars at one time. That time has passed. :laugh:

I can afford it anymore anyway. :cry:

Drag racing, dirt bikes, four wheelers..........I've played with them all. Chainsaws are even more addictive than any of those to me. I really enjoy being able to take an old saw that someone has given up on, making it live again, then felling a tree with it!

I still mess with cars a little, and... Who am I kidding? I mess with just about everything I get my hands on! I'm also a height and a bit of a risk junky. Skydiving and rock climbing back in the day, building communications towers for 8 yrs., chainsaws in trees since 19. ... And, now, I mod saws for work and work in storm trees. :msp_scared:

Mostly, I have always been outdoors Guy, saw parts are cheap, easy to fix, easy to mod, and I get to go to work with them to see just exactly what kind of beast I created, while it screams at the top of it's lungs for my enjoyment. It's also fun to see the look on the guys faces when another new one comes out of the case... and I'm wearing a big "Sh#$ Eating Grin"! ... And that Big Ol' Storm Tree comes crashin' down, from one of my "Angry Beavers on Crack with PMS"! And I know I did it "all" right.(ALL= the saw, the cut and the fall) Then, there's always another saw to mod and try, a different tree and sometimes a different technique. New each time!... So? ... Ehh? Nah. I'm not into it at all. :greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

BUT, ... I do keep my head in the game, at all times! Have never had a off fall, or even close to dangerous kickback. :cheers: To you all, hopefully the same! :cheers:

WEEKS. My Echo CS-1001 was tore down for 3 years or more in 3 different piles until i got a brain fart on how to fix it LOL...Bob
For 5 yrs my Poulan 3600 sat on a shelf in my shed. Then redunshee showed me how to fix it and now it runs like a champ. Same thing with my 262 Husky(found in a dumpster. Great site and great bunch of guys!!! Mahalo (thanks)

You think saws are bad , try 1/5th scale 2 stroke r/c cars, they run on smaller zenoah saw motors basically , some up to 62cc's and highly modified, same reasons I love my saws, fun to work on without being covered in grit n grime all day, Im a marine propulsion diesel tech for the Navy, now DEI, diesel engine inpector, it gets old. That and it gets me out in the woods to get more wood to sell to support my r/c car habbits. heres what im talkin about.
[video=youtube;t0Hw9YTDQBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Hw9YTDQBI[/video]

Back