Why Klotz?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Klotz makes oil that will blend with alcohol, most oils won't.

Yea, I think I've discussed this with you before. The reason I started using it, to mix with the 10% ethanol. The other reason is because I like the smell and the eye burning sensation while operating 3 or 4 saws on it at 32:1 in close proximity. I can say that I timed the cuts before an after using it and the saw does cut faster. P.s. I use the super techiplate.

Last edited:
I was on the klotzlube site and seen they have a oil they call 50:1 I've compared the spec sheets with the R-50 but dont really know what I'm comparing. Is there a reason the R50 would be anybetter than the 50:1 or vise versa

I havent seen the 50:1 Klotz mentioned on here yet
Spec sheets

Klotz 50:1http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=62&submit2=View

R-50http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=48&submit2=View

Those would not be the same oil. Look at the film strength. I'm not familiar with the 50:1 oil.

Purely anecdotal thing yesterday, but I ran a weed whip and leaf blower on Stihl Ultra and got the dreaded headache some have mentioned. Pounded away for hours after running the OPE for less than 1 hour. Equipment ran fine, but I didn't after that.

Those would not be the same oil. Look at the film strength. I'm not familiar with the 50:1 oil.

Didnt figure they were the same Just wondering if the 50:1 is good enough should availbility be better than the r-50. In fact I had never heard of it around here before.

Just checked with a motorcyle shop its in their catolog but they have never orderd it before and it would have to be brought in from the US.

Not to hi-jack, but I run Maxima Castor 927 in all my OPE @ about 46:1 without any issues. Klotz isn't carried anymore by any of the local MX shops around here (damn 4-strokes) & I'm not paying shipping. This is good stuff.

castor.jpg

Last edited:
It's not good with 100% methanol alcohol, or Nitromethane, but it will mix fine with pump gas that has alcohol in it.

Thats what I was hoping to hear.

Around here I dont know if our gas ethanol in it I haven't heard either way. Our pumps dont say anything on them. Remember I am in Canada

Methanol? Not ethanol? Weird....
I agree R-50 is the schitt burns clean and saws seem to love it...using it about 40:1, plug is litely chocolate colored but not cruddy...

Methanol? Not ethanol? Weird....
I agree R-50 is the schitt burns clean and saws seem to love it...using it about 40:1, plug is litely chocolate colored but not cruddy...

What is it in the fuel anyway ive seen it posted both ways. I thought your guys fuel has corn alcohol in it, which would be ETHANOL

Isnt METHANOL wood alcohol?

Maybe just confusion in typing?

Last edited:
Like many I run Klotz r50 or supertechniplate in most of my stuff nowadays but...

Years ago I was hardcore into the extreme side of 2 stroke 4 wheelers, mainly big bore 250r's as well as a few banshees from time too time.

Once the compression and rpm got kind of on the ragged edge I switched too Castrol A747 and I must say that it is without a doubt the finest oil I ever ran. I don't even know if it can still be had but 15 or however many years ago I ran it I had too order it from europe and it was SPENDY.

Would that be any diffrent from Klotz Benol? It's a castor oil. I always ran Maxima Castor 927 in my Banshee. I believe it's very similiar to the Klotz Super Techniplate. 80% synthetic/20% degummed castor.

<snip>
Once the compression and rpm got kind of on the ragged edge I switched too Castrol A747 and I must say that it is without a doubt the finest oil I ever ran. I don't even know if it can still be had but 15 or however many years ago I ran it I had too order it from europe and it was SPENDY.

Yep, A747 is still available, but has been superseded by XR77 as Castrol's premier 2 stroke lube.

Elf HTX909 and HTX979, Maxima 927, Motul 800 2T R & OR and Kart 2T, Silkolene Pro 2, Pro 2 SX and Pro KR2, Agip Racing 2T, even Mobil 1 Racing 2T (we can still buy that here) are all premium 2 stroke race oils that I'd have no hesitation in running. I've settled on Motul 800 2T Off Road as it's the closest decent oil I can get my grubby little hands on. I'm sure Motul 710 or even 510 or Castrol Power 1 Racing TTS would be fine too, but fuel mix is cheap to me in the scheme of things.

Like most boards certain brands/makes/people gain cult status for various reasons and Klotz R50 has become one of them, much like Stihl HP Ultra was/is for a fair while, but there's more than just one oil that works well in a saw.
Unless you are running an awfully fast hot saw no one here would have an engine approaching the specific output of a 100cc international kart engine that revs to 22,000RPM, or a 250cc GP road bike which is what those oils are designed for.

Would that be any diffrent from Klotz Benol? It's a castor oil. I always ran Maxima Castor 927 in my Banshee. I believe it's very similiar to the Klotz Super Techniplate. 80% synthetic/20% degummed castor.

You mean the Castrol A747?

It was a castor/synthetic blend, other than that I didn't really know much about it other than it being recommended too me by a tuner who worked on GP bikes at the time.

I was also messing with the KT 100 yamaha in Kart racing and those engines are quite demanding on the the oil as they spin quite a bit harder.. 18k+ rpm was normal for us.

I ran the 927 quite a bit, good oil but didn't run as clean as the a747 or either of the klotz r50/supertechniplate in my experience.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back