Why Klotz?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey y'all,

This has turned into a very enjoyable thread IMHO!

I found a motorhicky shop yesterday that carries some of the more exotic 2 stroke oils. Unfortunately, Klotz is not one they normally carry...but...they do carry Maxima, Castrol, Redline, Motul and a couple of others. I decided to give the Motul 710 ester synthetic a try. They had 800 on hand but I chose to go with 710 because it was a little cheaper and had the JASO FD rating on the bottle. Was also tempted by the Castrol RS TTS.

Had just a few minutes to fuel up a small weedeater and my saw with it and give it a try. Seemed to run well and the smell reminded me of the Mobil 2t (still have about a third of a bottle of the Mobil), not exactly what I would call a pleasant smell but not the smokey smell of the dino Pennzoil I had been running. Still want to get my hands on some Klotz to give it a try.

Am I wasting my time, probably. Would the Pennz dino more than suffice for my 2 strokes, probably. Am I having fun in my own little twisted way, yes! But I am also curious to see if it runs cleaner. BTW, I changed my ratio from 32:1 to 40:1 based on some reading I've been doing that tells me that the synthetics do a much better job lubing the engine.

Kenny
John 3:16, 17, etc.,etc.,etc.

You mean the Castrol A747?

It was a castor/synthetic blend, other than that I didn't really know much about it other than it being recommended too me by a tuner who worked on GP bikes at the time.

I was also messing with the KT 100 yamaha in Kart racing and those engines are quite demanding on the the oil as they spin quite a bit harder.. 18k+ rpm was normal for us.

I ran the 927 quite a bit, good oil but didn't run as clean as the a747 or either of the klotz r50/supertechniplate in my experience.

Castrol A747 was the specified mix oil for Yamaha TZ250's in the 1990's. Not even Yamaha's own Yamalue R made the list.

It was good enough that the factories ran it in the $1,000,000 500cc GP roadracers.

Not to hi-jack, but I run Maxima Castor 927 in all my OPE @ about 46:1 without any issues. Klotz isn't carried anymore by any of the local MX shops around here (damn 4-strokes) & I'm not paying shipping. This is good stuff.

castor.jpg

I think Toy Tech is a klotz dealer and they are in grantville.. just a hop and a skip away from you...

Thats what I was hoping to hear.

Around here I dont know if our gas ethanol in it I haven't heard either way. Our pumps dont say anything on them. Remember I am in Canada

That's not nice! In the U.S., it must be labeled clearly on the pump. At least we know what we are getting...

That's not the case in all states. Ohio is one of them that does not have to label it. There are quite a few others:(

:agree2: NC is another one that does not have to put a label on the pump. It's a state by state requirement. I'm fixin' to try some Avgas. Can't find any R50 around here to try though. Checked out several different cycle shops today. Kawasaki dealer tried to sell me on Motul. He said Klotz was old technology? :dizzy:

Klotzlubemn man here will sell you a gallon. Pay via pal and it shows up about 3-5 days later USPS. Couldnt be easier. PM him. R50 is full synthetic, castor oil stuff is old tech, but I still love the smell!

Last edited:
I've ran pennzoil in my 044 for 13 years. Still runs good.

What is it in the fuel anyway ive seen it posted both ways. I thought your guys fuel has corn alcohol in it, which would be ETHANOL

Isnt METHANOL wood alcohol?

Maybe just confusion in typing?

Confusion in typing.

And isopropanol is wood alcohol.

i have always thought Klotz makes great oil. Never had an issue. My only complaint is that the R50 smells like flowery soap when run in any of my saws. Definately not the "racey" smell I remember from the dirt bikes and 3wheelers. Runs good though.

My only complaint is that the R50 smells like flowery soap when run in any of my saws. Definitely not the "racey" smell I remember from the dirt bikes and 3wheelers. Runs good though.

My wife complains about and hates the smell of 2 stroke on me after I've been cutting for the day , I'm gonna have to find some R50 to see if she'll like me when I come home !

:cheers:

The only bad experiences I've had with any Klotz oils have been with motocross bikes. Most people who have worked on a 2 stroke bike that has run Klotz for very long know what it does to the powervalves and anything else that doesn't experience comustion. It gums it up bad, and can be a pain. That being said, the stuff lubricates very, very well.

Would that be any diffrent from Klotz Benol? It's a castor oil. I always ran Maxima Castor 927 in my Banshee. I believe it's very similiar to the Klotz Super Techniplate. 80% synthetic/20% degummed castor.

Yeah they're comparable. 927 isn't dyed though.

Just be careful with that Maxima 927, temperatures below 35ºF separation may occur.

No worries. Not much of a problem with pump gas. Becomes an issue with
100+ octane race fuel. Different spec. gravities and low temps cause the oil to gel and float on the fuel.

I think Toy Tech is a klotz dealer and they are in grantville.. just a hop and a skip away from you...

Heck, I always forget about them. I do my MX dealings with Keeney in Lebanon. He carries Maxima oils.

Latest posts

Back