Why so high?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash/banger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What am I missing here..........I stop in at my local stihl dealer and try to throw some more business his way I just recently purchased a ms660 off of him at a competitive price............I am in need of a new roll of chain 100ft...... the best price he can give me is 375$$ and he is a good guy and I know he is trying.....so why is stihl so much higher?? What gives............Wade

Stihl chain, like everything else from them, is a bit overpriced, but the chain is very tough and good from what I've heard here.

remember, the best things in life usually arent cheap.

Hi Wade,

I could probably hook you up with 3/8RS in the neighborhood of $300 delivered. Let me know if this helps.

Russ

Stihl chain, like everything else from them, is a bit overpriced

You get what you pay for, cheap price usually means cheap quality, would rather pay for top of the line than have to pay twice. Do you buy all your tools at cummins tool sales?
Van

I realize you get what you pay for............I have been cutting for twelve years and in the early years I ran whatever I could get my hands mostly because I didn't know any better I was still a little rough around the edges. For the last six years I have been partial to Oregon bars and chains they have been very reliable and well priced I have been using 72lg and find it to be a lot smoother cutting chain..........kerf appears to me to be smaller? A new loop of LG takes me about a 30 min to hand file to get it ready for the woods the way I want it to cut....... seems the cutters are a little inconsistent and the rakers as well.............The RS was very consistent and actually cut pretty fair out of the box...........just seemed a little grabby for new chain......I am anxious to see how much footage I get out of this loop I usually get somewhere over 150,000ft out of a chain unless I rock out which happens to us all from time to time...............Russ I will think about your offer.......... I am trying now to see if the extra money is worth it............I can drive up the road 20 miles and buy a roll of 72lg for 238.$$.......something to think about........Wade

Wade, a 100' roll of 33RS will set me back $240 from my dealer.

Ryan thanks for the reply....... maybe my dealer isn't trying as hard as I thought he was.............he was spot on with the price on the MS660 I guess he is trying to get the difference back with the chain.........thanks again, Wade

I have never paid more than 225.00 for Stihl skip chisel, full comp can cost more cause more cutters. Sounds like its the dealer giving you the business, or maybe passing it on from Stihl USA, they gotta finance those trips to the Virgin Islands.

Someone here should start selling the Stihl accessories or parts. Sure seems to be a big regional difference in prices. I know Stihl saws can't be sold that way, but parts and chains?

Tom

Hey Wade-

I have access to Stihl chainrolls ( 3/8ths ) for $215.00 plus shipping, which runs around $24-27 depending on location. Parts and units I can get for substantially less than list price, but you'll have to PM me with a wish list.

.050" tthat figures I got a 25' roll froom the local sawshop here he laid the pipe to me a little bit, trying to say his cost for a 100' was 290.00 I accused him of smokin crack.

Latest posts

Back