Will price of Brand New 346xp's go up or down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alll joking aside, once all the bugs are worked out of the 550's, the 346 will just be another saw that was outdated/updated. just like the 026/ms260/ms261

I seem to recall a recent discovery of NOS 026's down in Oklahoma a year or so ago and the guy couldn't sell em fast enuff at $450 ~ $500 a pop.

You'll see NOS 346NE's going for more than current retail all day long down the road to the die hard guys. Same with any exceptional saw.

Just happy to have found mine in great condition for $250.:rock:

The msrp of the 550 is near $100 less than the 346 was up here.

The technology used in the AT and MT platforms is old, very old, hell before many of us were born old, just the first time its been applied to chainsaws.

Best thing about the 550 is it will prevent the idiot with a screwdriver giving it an early death.

For those of us who don't want the risks that come with AT and the like, there will always be a market for the 346. I had the good fortune to buy a new one right at the tail end of the run, kinda wish I had purchased an XPG also.

The idea that every last hp or ounce matters is great for bs-ing and one-upping your friends on the interwebs. In the real world, it doesn't really matter quite so much. Having a saw that is reliable, easy to service, durable, and appropriately powerful for the task at hand, that's what matters. There are tons of 154/254 still out there running strong and getting the job done. There are tons of 353/346 (OE/NE) out there that will keep right on cutting for the next twenty years. The addition of the 550 and others is all well and good, but for most folks it isn't terribly relevant to their lives.

Best thing about the 550 is it will prevent the idiot with a screwdriver giving it an early death.

But not the tree service guy up in the bucket who can't get it started (again) from thowin' it overboard into the nearest ditch!

I know such a guy who did some "field trials" for a Husky rep in our area and he hated the 550 then, and still does. No screwdriver needed to put those demos to an early death.

But not the tree service guy up in the bucket who can't get it started (again) from thowin' it overboard into the nearest ditch!

I know such a guy who did some "field trials" for a Husky rep in our area and he hated the 550 then, and still does. No screwdriver needed to put those demos to an early death.

Idiots come in many versions, guess I had best add bucket monkey to my list.

Seen more than one poorly maintained Stihl chucked from a bucket also. It doesn't matter how good or bad the saw is, if you are a one eyed Stihl fan (or vice versa) there is no way in hell you'll admit to liking an alternative brand.
Common practice on AS.
The saws in people's sigs tend to tell which side of the fence they are on :)

Seen more than one poorly maintained Stihl chucked from a bucket also. It doesn't matter how good or bad the saw is, if you are a one eyed Stihl fan (or vice versa) there is no way in hell you'll admit to liking an alternative brand.
Common practice on AS.
The saws in people's sigs tend to tell which side of the fence they are on :)

I used to like/own/use Stihls but they haven't come out to play for the past number of years, must be concentrating on there vaccum models.
I used to drive Fords but now I like Chevys, all about what works for me.

The bucket monkey is just an idiot regardless of brand. The failure of the bucket monkeys saw to start are the direct cause of his own failure to ensure the tools of his trade are good to go.

Would hate showing up to a gun fight with a gun that goes click.

I prefer redheads, but also like blondes, brunettes and them black haired women, some times we all like the brands, saws are no different.

The bucket monkey is just an idiot regardless of brand. The failure of the bucket monkeys saw to start are the direct cause of his own failure to ensure the tools of his trade are good to go.

Would hate showing up to a gun fight with a gun that goes click.

Pretty broad brush you're paintin' with as you assert such a bold and absolute position.

Fact is, bucket monkey was chosen buy a Husky rep based upon being one of the higher end arborists in the area who actually knows how to handle his gear. (Yeah, the Husky rep was obviously a complete moron.)

He ended up at a gunfight with a coupla 550's that just went "click"....continuously. Pissed him off as it would anyone, except maybe a "one eyed" Husky head who was also blind in the one eye he still had.

Anyone who suggests there weren't issues with the early 550's is an idiot...not the folks who were victims of the associated problems with em as they came to market outta the chute. (Ask Brad Snelling)

Would I buy one today? Maybe. Would I put my perfectly running NE346XP on the shelf in favor of one? Only an idiot would do that.

As you were, gentlemen.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
No, even as good as the 346 is it will not appreciate in price, the new platforms are going to make it a fond memory, from both brands, once you run a digital fuel injected saw sized engine you'll realize the 346 spooled up great for a carberated saw, but fuel injection is in a whole different realm.

No, even as good as the 346 is it will not appreciate in price, the new platforms are going to make it a fond memory, from both brands, once you run a digital fuel injected saw sized engine you'll realize the 346 spooled up great for a carberated saw, but fuel injection is in a whole different realm.

Now we're talkn' apples and oranges, which is usually what happens in such threads...

There will be plenty o' die hards that'll pay goin' rate down the road for NOS NE346XP's.

Do 346's and 550's represent the same technology and features desired by the market both now and in the future?

Hell no.

That isn't the point.

A bucket monkey won't know the difference anyway, right? But if his gun is shootin' blanks? Well...

He's just an idiot not understanding why new technology doesn't work like he was told it was supposed to work.

Again, a very broad brush being applied to the subject at hand...

IMHO, if NOS 026's were sellin' for upwards of 500 bux last year? You'll see the same happen for NOS 346XP's down the road. Same with any desirable product of its' time that becomes less available but remains desirable over time for whatever reason.

That was the premise of the thread and that's my opinion based upon watching this stuff unfold for several years.

Take it, or leave it.

Last edited:

Glad you commented. I remember a post before you mentioned that guys who were tryin out new fuel injected saws didn't want to give them back to Stihl.

I was wondering if you have tried one or know any more. :popcorn:

Adam

I know that in in our area we sure didn't see 260's moving any faster once they were discontinued, there is a local dealer in our area that not too long ago still had 260's, 346's, 359's and the original 372XP's in stock, it's like the 200T's bringing huge money are isolated cases, we sold three very sharp ones to a tree service last week for 1100.00 for all three. I can PM anyone the dealers name that did have the new 346's and 372xp last time I was in their place, sure just for nostalgia's sake I'd pay a little for a nos 028WB, the MS440's didn't move like we thought they would when brought back and they had every bit of strong as following as the 346, people realized there were better options, no runs on existing 460's either.

On the Level, the fuel injection is the way of the future, we all thought the worid was ending with strato saws which has been overall an improvement, fuel injection will expotentially take saws to a whole different level irregardless of brand, it will be one of the biggest improvements we've seen.

Pretty broad brush you're paintin' with as you assert such a bold and absolute position.

Fact is, bucket monkey was chosen buy a Husky rep based upon being one of the higher end arborists in the area who actually knows how to handle his gear. (Yeah, the Husky rep was obviously a complete moron.)

He ended up at a gunfight with a coupla 550's that just went "click"....continuously. Pissed him off as it would anyone, except maybe a "one eyed" Husky head who was also blind in the one eye he still had.

Anyone who suggests there weren't issues with the early 550's is an idiot...not the folks who were victims of the associated problems with em as they came to market outta the chute. (Ask Brad Snelling)

Would I buy one today? Maybe. Would I put my perfectly running NE346XP on the shelf in favor of one? Only an idiot would do that.

As you were, gentlemen.

:popcorn:

Not a bold or absolute postion just reality.

I make sure my guns work and will work before I ask them to do a job (previous life) and now I ask the same of my saws.

There are and were issues with the early 550's as there will be with the later 550's, as there are with all saws, including many NE346XP and many the 346 XP's, would I toss one out of a bucket........nope its a tool of my trade and I need it. Throwing ones tools is extremely un-professional.

Out of all the 550's sold thus far in the North America how many have had issues? Very few, but thanks to venues such as this we get to hear about some actual issues and alot of user issues. Service bulletins equates to massive recalls by those lacking the ability to understand what a service bulletin is. Most would near drop dead if they knew how many TSB's there are on the vehicle they load there kids into and drive down the road in.

Glad you got one the the issue free NE346XP's.

If you take away the bucket monkey, none of its a big issue, just par for the course in the big ole world of chainsaws and most everything.

Now we're talkn' apples and oranges, which is usually what happens in such threads...

That isn't the point.

A bucket monkey won't know the difference anyway, right? But if his gun is shootin' blanks? Well...

He's just an idiot not understanding why new technology doesn't work like he was told it was supposed to work.

Again, a very broad brush being applied to the subject at hand...

IMHO, if NOS 026's were sellin' for upwards of 500 bux last year? You'll see the same for 346XP's down the road.

That was the premise of the thread and that's my opinion based upon watching this stuff unfold for several years.

Take it, or leave it.

We should stop posting at the near same time to give a chance to read the threads!

I do agree 100%. Its all about getting ones head out of the box and into another slimmer, sleeker, better performing one.

What saws are better in the husky line up from the single series to the 200, 300, 400, 500, well is the single digit ones were they would still be making them. Every new model comes with very well planed improvements. On has to look at all the variable to see the real picture.

Over here (NA) vibration levels mean nothing, nor does dB ratings, the shakier and noiser the better, compare a 200 series saw to a 500 series one.

Everything is an improvement, just like my first Stihl (029 yep thats what led me down this dark road) over my dads Pioneer P26.

Latest posts

Back