Wish we could burn...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snow sucks I dont mind it if theres Trees to climb cause its like you run tip toe through the snow and jump onto the Tree and away you go outta the snow:greenchainsaw:

Well why not at least try. We have 5-6 post about burning everything else.
Let me know how you make out. :cheers:

Feel free to keep it out there please !!

Frequently we are bombed here around Thanksgiving........... but we got nothing so far. Sure makes it easier to lug wood in from the wood pile with the wheelbarrow with no snow on the ground.

Oh I'm not outside for long, just enough time to grab something out of the barn or garage. Even I'm not that crazy. I just get laughs for wearing summer shirts in the winter time. :D

Oh I'm not outside for long, just enough time to grab something out of the barn or garage. Even I'm not that crazy. I just get laughs for wearing summer shirts in the winter time. :D

I got yall beat then I enjoy the refreshment of tip toeing out in my underwear in my wifes duckie slippers to get some wood or such:monkey: Did it in 6 degree temps a week ago:jawdrop:

Last edited:
Couple more inches here tonight. Commute to and from work (3-11 shift) sucked butt. Got back to my rideshare buddy's place to find 1/4" of ice on the windshield Grrrr.

4 days off starting Thursday to dig a trail to the woods. Might chain up the loader tractor just to be safe. There's only one real bad spot, going up hill with lots of drifting in a lane all of 20' wide. It makes for a lot of backing down, dumping and back up for a foot or two of progress.

If all else fails, I know where to find a 200hp tractor with 14' dozer on it.

I'd just say $%^& it and wait for it to go away, but I have a neighbor short on wood and he's not getting in his woods with an old onan engined Bobcat any time soon, so I'll get him over and get some dead elm for him.

Rope, it's very well documented that by February or so, we're all loco from cabin fever and will sit on a bucket on the middle of a frozen lake, usually in not much more than a t-shirt, since 30° is a 60° improvement from mid January!

I plowed out the yard last night, again. Looks like we're gonn'a get a break in the weather for a couple days and then the snow moves back in on Thursday. If this crap keeps up I'm gonn'a run out'a places to pile the snow.

I felled a dead elm Saturday morning (25-inch trunk) at the north end of the grove, close to the road. Wrapped a chain around it, hooked up the cable and pulled it up out'a the grove, through the ditch and onto the road. After trimming off the small stuff, I started pullin' it the quarter mile up the road with my 4x4 pickup when some of the neighbors came along. They sure did act irritated when they had to back up until I could get it pulled into the yard. Wonder how long I can get away with that before someone calls the county boys to complain?

Anyway, this is the best (wood condition) elm I've harvested this year... solid and heavy all the way through, still a bit of the "red" color to it. Saturday never got over 12-degrees; and when I put the splitter to it the stuff mostly just "popped", made short work of it. So plowing the snow last night cleaned up the mess left behind... the only bright spot about the snow.

There's another elm, just a bit larger, standing next to where this one stood; I'm lookin' it over pretty hard 'cause it's leaning towards the power lines. Probably gonn'a haft'a cable it up with a pulley and 4x4, and maybe the come-a-long also... I used to be able to use the back-cut t get them to "twist" on the fall... but I'm a bit out'a practice and standing dead is unpredictable anyway.

If it wasn't for all the snow I could just pick any 'ol tree, drop it and haul it up out'a the grove. I'm gonn'a be better prepared next year... this sucks.

Whitespider

If the tree can hit the power lines and is dead, you can probably get the power utility to drop it for you for free. The local REC will do it as it is a hazard tree to them especially dead.

Don

Latest posts

Back