Wont run with R50 mix but runs fine with Stihl Ultra mix :scratching head:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
changing teeth on the firewood processor in Toledo
well this is sure confusing the hell out of me, at the recomendation of people on here I decided to switch to Klotz R50 in my 2 stroke equipment and so far it has been alright, one week ago I bought 5 gallons of Shell V-power and mixed in a pint of R50. My Dolmar likes it and so do the weed whips but I put it in my Echo PB650 backpack blower yesterday and it will barely run... so I dumped it out and put some 50:1 Stihl Ultra mix with 89 octane in it and it fired right up and had all the power in the world, wondering if it was just pure luck I dumped out the Stihl fuel mix and put the R50 mix in and it started acting up again with no power, so I switched back to the Stihl mix again and it runs like a banshee. there is no adjustment on the carb and even with one I doubt it would have made any difference cause I played with the choke and it did not help.... anyone ever see a piece of equipment that just did not like a certain kind of oil?

I guess I'll just keep 2 cans of mix around

The only time I've seen any tuning issues is when the oil ratio was changed. Some oils do run different, Klotz Supertechniplate will give you a small bump in rpm.

I've never had any issues running R50 in my hand held Echo blower, I'd try running it again and see what happens.:dunno:

Last edited:
I know ya just bought the gas and all, but humor me.

Pour some in a clear glass jar and let it sit for a bit.

Somethin' ain't right.

In the meantime I wouldn't run that gas in anything.

Carbs meter liquid and they can't tell Klotz from mouse pee, so something is goofy with the gas.

With the recent switchover to winter blending and additives, god knows what could be going on.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I agree with Dinger. There is something up with your fuel mix. Dont take any chances on it especially if your State demands ethanol be added to your gasoline. Phase separation can push the oil out of the mix when the water content held by the ethanol rises. This can happen from moisture in the air just like dew forms on your lawn in the evening, from humidity. If your mix tank isnt capped off the same thing can occur inside the tank or anywhere the air can get to.

The Echo 650 blower uses a 'rotary valve' diaphragm carb. The fuel metering adjustment for these carbs is similar to the old style lawnboy carb that used an altitude adjustment needle. Raising the needle, provides more fuel. There is a ramp on the top where the throttle connects. This ramp raises the needle for fuel metering as the throttle is opened. You can adjust the fuel flow by raising or lowering the needle.

Walbro WYK: http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/WYKseries.pdf

Best wishes,
Bob

I know ya just bought the gas and all, but humor me.

Pour some in a clear glass jar and let it sit for a bit.

Somethin' ain't right.

In the meantime I wouldn't run that gas in anything.

Carbs meter liquid and they can't tell Klotz from mouse pee, so something is goofy with the gas.

With the recent switchover to winter blending and additives, god knows what could be going on.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2:

It has to be a problem with the fuel. The blower is your canary in the coal mine.

My guess is that the blower has a problem with maintaining fuel pressure, impaluse line or fuel check-valves, something.

The 89-octane fuel must have a higher RVP then the other and maintains it's own prime (by pressurizing the tank).

Just a $0.02 cent guess, but if you cracked the tank-cap with the 89 fuel the blower would struggle?

Most stations sell very little premium fuel now a days.........old fuel

Yeah....if you're gonna buy premium, go to a station that does BIG volume. Otherwise, you might get gas that has been sitting...

[snip]
one week ago I bought 5 gallons of Shell V-power and mixed in a pint of R50.
[snip]

Unless there's been a substitution, Shell V-Power should be a premium, non ethanol fuel.
Here it's 98 RON, which equates to around 93-94 AKI and is definitely ethanol free.
Apparently V-Power in the US is between 91 and 93 AKI, depending on region.

I use either our version of V-Power or BP Ultimate as they are the cleanest burning most consistent fuels I can easily buy.

I'm with Shoer, I think the problem lies elsewhere.

ethanol is the worst thing ever invented in my eyes, it degrades performance, it causes smog, it absorbs moisture in the air and ground (read it up on the net somewhere)(so any ethanol is bad especially if it sits in any equipment for long periods of time), and smells like rotten eggs when it burns haha I either use 87 without ethanol or 92 without ethanol.

87 without ethanol may be 10cents more a gallon but at least you get better milage and no egg smell!

I used to run 89 but now all 89 octane fuels have ethanol in em so it's 92 for my truck and 2-stroke engines and 87 for my old mercury haha!

Try the mix with some 91 or 92 once and see what happens cause it's rare to get 91 or 92 with ethanol in the mix now I know 93 usually has ethanol in it around here but of course it changes by location to location

When it was new, my MS170 ran funny with the R50 in it as well. It ran great with Stihl HP Plus, but with the R50 it ran like crap and the exhaust was real dense and smokey.

I took it to the dealer and the tech said that the R50 lubes too well. He said some is slipping past the rings, making it's way into and burning up in the muffler.

I didn't really question it at the time, but I'm not sure if that makes sense. My 7900 loves the R50. But I haven't run R50 in the 170 since....

Back