Wood for Chicken

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What do you guys smoke your chicken with? I am eating some with apple right now but it's not quite the rigth one, it's good just not it.

It is hard to beat pecan or a little hickorey on chicken...Apple is good, but not as good as it is on pork...

Sassafrass.

It's not heavy, and a bit sweet.

Works real well with an orange juice or 7-UP brine for a couple hours.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hickory

I keep strips of Hickory that break off while splitting. When I turn on the gas grill to warm it up, I place them at the back. By the time the chicken (fish is awesome like this) is done it really is smoking pretty good. It's a lot faster than building a wood fire to cook on and works better than I thought it would.

I keep strips of Hickory that break off while splitting. When I turn on the gas grill to warm it up, I place them at the back. By the time the chicken (fish is awesome like this) is done it really is smoking pretty good. It's a lot faster than building a wood fire to cook on and works better than I thought it would.

I've been taking small (1"-3"diameter) seasoned limbs, strip the bark off and cut little 3/4" thick disks on my chop saw. I throw these on a hardwood charcoal fire. I agree, I am not a fan of starting the fire exclusively out of wood.

I thought this was going to be a thread about bartering poultry for firewood.

Applewood does it for me. No hickory around here. Willow's a new one. What kind of taste does it impart?

I'll save you a piece

Applewood does it for me. No hickory around here. Willow's a new one. What kind of taste does it impart?

Next time you are in S. Central Mass area PM me and take some home to smoke with.

I like apple a lot for poultry. cut down a bunch of crab apple and that has worked pretty good too.

It is hard to beat pecan or a little hickorey on chicken...Apple is good, but not as good as it is on pork...

Ohhhhhhh Pecan is a must use for chicken !

A medium fire, burned down to coals, then add the Pecan chunks, chips or what you have to the edges and cook for 30 minutes on one side then turn for 15-20 minutes more to finish the other side. The heat from the coals is just enough that it is almost uncomfortable to hold your hand just above the cook surface for a minute or so. They slow cook like this without drying out or charring. The smoke flavor has a chance to penetrate the moist meat instead of just the surface. Rubs and saeasoning go on the night/morning before being cooked giving their flavor a chance to be mixed with the meat instread of being cook onto the surface only. Mmmmmmmmm, good eat'n !

I have played around with moving my fire to the very bottom of the cooker. standing 3-4 3" to 4" chunks (6"-8" long) together on end and starting the fire in the center of them letting it burn from the center out and start cooking as soon as the top is warm and the fire is burning cleanly ( little smoke). Then adding the meat on the grill. I keep the top open enough that the fire isnt starved for air but closed enough that all the heat doesnt escape. I have good results faster this way than previously mentioned. Any drippings wont fall on the fire and flare up. The flare ups and grease fires make the meat bitter.

Cooking over a fire is an art and the artist must not be disturbed while at work.

Anybody can burn meat on a grill with sauce and call it bar-b-que. Only some will do it well.

I better put on some coffee I had a different mental image of a wood cutter chasing chickens in the barnyard, but not holding his axe.

Sheesh ! more coffee is on it's way for me !

nothing but cherry here oak if I don't have cherry does nt happen often though .absolutely no charcoal!!!

Alder and apple here 50/50. Red or white meat doesn't matter. We start at room temp meat smoke for a bit then cook slow and low for a while then finish with more smoke.

For cold smoking fish we use, believe it or not cottonwood. It gives a light color and a light smoke flavor to the fish, seems to help impart the brine either wet or dry to the flesh. Will burn/smolder for a very long time without much heat. What ever you use be sure to let the pellicle form first.

Owl

Can't descrube it but I do like the sausage. I am in the middle of country settled by Germans from the old country and their sausage recipes are outstanding. Each community usually holds a 'sausage feed' every year. I was surprised myself when I heard they use Willow. I do like the smell of the smoke from my chimney.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back