Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I only stock up on firewood every few years, this works okay. I pull it around with a 1988 F-350 DRW diesel. This is a load of fresh red oak. It split out to 1¾ cords. It's just tossed in since I only had to haul it about 300 yards.

Last edited:
Hey Goat, are you using the brakes on that trailer? I thought I might get one for using behind my tractor.Nice load of wood.

The trailer has air brakes and the suburban does not so the answer is no to using brakes. When I pull it behind the suburban I have to take it easy with a full load as seen in the pictures. I am looking for a good deal on a deuce and a half to pull it with. Some day if I'm lucky.

Hey Goat, where did you get that trailer? I really want one.

I picked up two of these trailers at a State of Utah surplus auction for $80 each. It was pure luck. I looked them over well before the auction and couldn't figure out why I got them so cheap. They were not the first or the last ones auctioned off, it was just pure random luck. They had 15 or more and most of them sold for $200 to $300. Even some that were in worse shape sold for over $200. Hind sight tells me I should have bid more on the others and got as many as I could for the $300 price. I could have sold this one several times for $500 or more.

Here is a link to find one for sale in your area if you are lucky. Do a search for a "M105A2" or a "M102A5"

http://www.govliquidation.com/

Here is my firewood hauler. Just got home with it yesterday. Cut it all with my Jonsereds 52E (just bought a nice 041AV today for the big stuff). The half hour drive home was more than enough reward for the sweat in cutting and loading, she really barked!

The truck is a '72 Am General M35A2C, trailer is M105 like the Old Goat's. Truck has dropsides on the bed so I load all the big chunks first with the sides down. She's a pretty good little toy to have around.

I've been so busy reading all the good stuff on this site this is my first post. I'll have to get a couple pictures of my saws on too.

Marc

Here is my firewood hauler. Just got home with it yesterday. Cut it all with my Jonsereds 52E (just bought a nice 041AV today for the big stuff). The half hour drive home was more than enough reward for the sweat in cutting and loading, she really barked!

The truck is a '72 Am General M35A2C, trailer is M105 like the Old Goat's. Truck has dropsides on the bed so I load all the big chunks first with the sides down. She's a pretty good little toy to have around.

I've been so busy reading all the good stuff on this site this is my first post. I'll have to get a couple pictures of my saws on too.

Marc

Nice truck MarcS. And nice load of wood. Welcome to AS. This is what I use
attachment.php

attachment.php

Marc

Marc,

That picture is worth inserting in the body of a message so I did it for you in this post, hope you don't mind. That is what I call the perfect set up. I need one of those M35s. Maybe the word "need" is to strong, how about I would like one of those M35s. Maybe for Christmas, I'll have to start dropping hints.

How much wood is in that trailer? It's stacked in nice and tight.:clap:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was able to get all but two of these rounds in the photos split and stuffed into the trailer. The inside of the trailer is 9' x 6' not including the tail gate and the top bows are 5' high from the floor of the trailer. You also need to subtract a few cubic feet for the wheel wells. I figure there is just a little over two cords of silver maple on this load.

If that burns like the Silver Maple I'm used to, you have about enough for a couple of days.I think you DO need that M35!

Silver maple is not my first chose but the price was right, free. Our house is well built, 6" walls and plenty of insulation. One hot fire a day most of the winter keeps us comfortable. We even skip a day every now and then, a fire every 36 hours or so. For the bitter cold days I have a pile of black locust set aside. We live at 5400' in central Utah so cold temps and snow are the norm from mid Nov to March. Not as cold as Idaho or Wyoming, but a lot colder then Vegas.

3 wheeler

Most of those old 3 wheelers were quite bullet proof, might start smoking a little. I traded an old dune buggy for a not quite as old quad, a 1985 Suzuki 230 Quadsport. A milk crate clamped to the rear bumper just fit and a hitch was made out of a piece of 1/4" strap clapmed to the axle and control arm. We'll see if it does any better in deep snow than the 185s.

Allis

Cool tractors! Wish dad hadn't of sold his old WD wide front with lift! My 550 Oliver works just as well though and is faster. Needs a hydro bucket instead of the trip style.

I got everything from a dealer here in Ks. Had them to insatll it too. Its electric and was around $1300 for everything. Works very nice.

Ole

I see a cylinder there. Would that make it electric-hydraulic? I ask because I am looking at doing the same thing and found a set-up for $1099 + tax. It too has a hydraulic cylinder and I was wondering how I would power it. Knowing the proper terminology will help me find info quicker (yes, I am a greenhorn when it comes to hydraulics).

Ole

I see a cylinder there. Would that make it electric-hydraulic? I ask because I am looking at doing the same thing and found a set-up for $1099 + tax. It too has a hydraulic cylinder and I was wondering how I would power it. Knowing the proper terminology will help me find info quicker (yes, I am a greenhorn when it comes to hydraulics).

I'm a greenhorn too! I guess it would make it elect-hyd since the pump is electric. I was told the cylinder was the cheapest part of this but i dont know yet. I had someone tell me i could have used the power steering pump but i dont think it would have compaired to this pump. It is power up and down and pretty darn quick. It will lift 4,500 lbs +.

Latest posts

Back