Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this old 95 dodge 3/4 ton 4WD drive with Cummins I picked up as a bank repo for $1500.00 it had 180k on it but it rides and drives fine. I can get a cord and a half on it. The old 71 chevy half ton trailer I have had for 29 years and load a cord and half on it, the only things thats broke is a tire blowing out every once in a while.
overloadedtrailer.jpg

trailerload2.jpg

I use this old 95 dodge 3/4 ton 4WD drive with Cummins I picked up as a bank repo for $1500.00 it had 180k on it but it rides and drives fine. I can get a cord and a half on it. The old 71 chevy half ton trailer I have had for 29 years and load a cord and half on it, the only things thats broke is a tire blowing out every once in a while.
overloadedtrailer.jpg

trailerload2.jpg

You must be talking about "face cords" I don't see how that set up could haul a total of three cords(4x4x8) of wood...............?

overloadedtrailer.jpg

trailerload2.jpg

You got a 2 gen Dodge Cummins for $1500!!!!! I hunted for 2 1/2 years and paid a lot more for my 97 CTD.

BTW do you have an auto or 5 speed?

you may want to check out these sites:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/
http://www.cumminsforum.com/

Bob

Five Ricks total, width of wood customer specified x4'high x8'long
It's an automatic, the older 12 valve inline pump. We just keep the fuel filter changed as well as the oil and expect it to use a heck of a long time.
Here's the load unloaded as the customer specified we normally throw it out
He wanted it unloaded on tin to speed the drying time, it was unloaded out in the middle of a pasture.
woodstacked.jpg

woodstacked1.jpg

We keep fence post drove 8 feet apart and stack the wood 4.5 feet high to make sure we give a value. All our customers seem to be happy as all customers have repeated their business this year.
We average a rick cut split and loaded every 32 to 35 minutes, the load pictured took appox 3 hours 45 minutes including breaks and dragging tops up with a tractor. Even at 35.00 a rick it's a good return on time.

Nice pics guys!
Zipper,is the farm use shoe polish to keep the DOT and local commercial enforcement from bothering you?

IN the state of West Virgina you can put FARM USE on a truck for $2 a year. I can drive it 25 miles from my house. I do have to keep libility inurance on it. But I do not have to put tags on it or pay taxes on the truck. When gas went ski high I had to park it $150 aweek in gas to drive to work. I bought a little Honda Accord to drive to work.$20 aweek in gas not bad.

86 ford ranger. I had to put pieces of steel between the axle and frame to keep the tires out of the fenders. Rides real rough but will haul one face cord.

Here is my tow set up. It really screams manly van:deadhorse: Well anyway i sold my 5th wheel camper last spring and and the Dodge 2500 Cummins and this is what was left in our stable that could tow something.
DCP_2513.jpg

This is the last load I picked up from the farm and the total weight including van was 7,700 lbs and just trailer alone was 3020 lbs. The van does not struggle at all so it seems to pull the trailer.

trailer001.jpg

Struggle,Im not suprised the Van tows well at all.A while back,I had a Chrysler town and country minivan,it was AWD.That thing was a great tow vehicle.Should have seen the looks on the faces when it easily yanked my Sea doos,and trailer out of steep slippery launch ramps that got many 4wd truck owners spinning and sliding. Also towed 2 snowmobiles on snowy roads in 8" of snow,no problem.2000lb Pop camper was no problem either.I had a 1500 Z71 4x4 at the time,it was a 94,so was the van,and I prefferd to tow with the van,and its 3.8L ,as it had more power on the road,esp at speed than the trucks 350TBI.
super3- I got one thingto say about your truck--show off :greenchainsaw:

brownie, I love your Ford,those were some of the best work trucks Ford made.

Struggle,Im not suprised the Van tows well at all.A while back,I had a Chrysler town and country minivan,it was AWD.That thing was a great tow vehicle.Should have seen the looks on the faces when it easily yanked my Sea doos,and trailer out of steep slippery launch ramps that got many 4wd truck owners spinning and sliding. Also towed 2 snowmobiles on snowy roads in 8" of snow,no problem.2000lb Pop camper was no problem either.I had a 1500 Z71 4x4 at the time,it was a 94,so was the van,and I prefferd to tow with the van,and its 3.8L ,as it had more power on the road,esp at speed than the trucks 350TBI.
super3- I got one thingto say about your truck--show off :greenchainsaw:

brownie, I love your Ford,those were some of the best work trucks Ford made.

It does pull surprisingly well. I kind of underestimated how well it would work so far. It has saved us over 6K plus buy not having the truck anymore. While the truck was nice the trailer actually carries more in an easier fashion and I do not have to worry about throwing wood in the trailer like I did with the truck for concern of blowing out the rear window with a wild split hitting it. No dents to concern about ether.

This is the first time in 19 years I have not owned a truck and I am wondering why I it took so long to figure out I really do not need one:buttkick:

Last edited:
You must be talking about "face cords" I don't see how that set up could haul a total of three cords(4x4x8) of wood...............?

Well here's what 3/4 of a cord of ash looks like on the p/u trailer. It may not look stacked tight, but it is. I could not possibly get another piece on this load and when I stacked it at home it was 16'x4'x18"= .75 cord. I think there is more on here than on that trailer.

woodload1.jpg

Notice my splitter behind. It pulls great at 45 mph. It is nice to leave the mess out where I cut rather than bring it home. How does it back up? Well, I unhook, push the splitter where I want it, back the trailer along side, split, throw pieces in the trailer, push splitter to back of the trailer and hook up, head home.

If I had a 1 ton trailer, I would mount my splitter on the front on a slider and it would be an ideal set-up as I could load the pick up and trailer from the splitting position.

Back