Wood Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redforeman450

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Could someone identifiy this? Thanks
98f93ddc9c53172f9d52eba93f39554d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Looks like ash from where I'm sitting, but the bark looks a bit thin.
Maybe another picture from the side or of other pieces.
Also guessing that the red foreman 450 is a Honda :).

Looks like ash from where I'm sitting, but the bark looks a bit thin.
Maybe another picture from the side or of other pieces.
Also guessing that the red foreman 450 is a Honda :).
Yep, a four wheeler, most people guess it's from That 70's Show. Here's another pic.
8d2b9e8a780e56e108a8b1785c9dcbef.jpg

Yep, a four wheeler, most people guess it's from That 70's Show. Here's another pic.
8d2b9e8a780e56e108a8b1785c9dcbef.jpg

Still looks like ash, especially the piece to the left in the picture.
I don't know about that, only watched a few minutes of that show and then I was done.
The 98-04 450's are great machines, had 15-20 of them through here, I like Honda products in general. There are a few I'm not fond of though as with most any company they all have good and bad products for the most part.

It's nasty to split, very dense, have to use a wedge to quarter it, then the maul. How does it burn?

I had a 93 300ex, gave that to my son when I bought the 450 in 02. Have since given up four wheelers. Still have Honda generators, quality equipment.

I've seen lots of Hickory here that looks like that. Especially when it has been sitting for a while.
I think it is soft maple. The eliptical "defects" are common to soft maple in some areas...
To me the grain looks much to tight. The growth rings are to close together. IMO. I have seen quite a bit of Hickory here that has all the grey in it. I am not talking about the ambrosia in the log. I am talking about the grey.PhotoEditor_2017112723638903.jpg

If it helps, I fell this tree this past Saturday, it is the same species, as what I'm inquiring about.
b8d8cdb9c203a98e300ade115f0ce2b5.jpg

http://woodshopmike.com/making-bowl-blanks/

Check out this link. There is some"grey" Wood in his hickory that has set for about four months. I cut some Hickory this summer that set a year and it was full of all those grey markings. It shows up well in this link↓
http://woodshopmike.com/making-bowl-blanks/

View attachment 615229 View attachment 615230 View attachment 615231
I was looking at the ovals in the bottom of the first picture... Look up wormy soft maple logs. Used to be a defect....now people pay big money for it.

The circles in the bowl pictures are bird peck.

In the OP: the graying does look like hickory...i'd agree with that. The end grain looks a little more like hickory than maple. Not very good pictures (log or the other tree...), so it is hard to say for sure, but that first pic looks more ring porous (which would include hickory) than diffuse porous (includes maple).

I think it is soft maple. The eliptical "defects" are common to soft maple in some areas...
I just cut and split a bunch of Silver Maple that looked just like that. But I can't tell my head from my arse sometimes so take my opinion for what you will :)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back