Wood splitter hydraulic tools.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, OK, Guess it would be hard to fix that. Something like mild loctite or teflon tape to prevent movement?
If it were mine I'd do as sundance suggested -- bugger the top couple threads on the plug so they don't run freely in the coupling. If that's too crude for your tastes, or if the fit in the coupling is too sloppy, you could insert a spring pin into a 1/16 dia radial hole drilled near the top of the dipstick threads.

Or drill a hole through the square top and put a pin thru that to stop the plug from vibrating down.

My next question is how far down do you screw it to measure the oil level?

If the bung is a straight thread, what's to stop it from vibrating all the way down and falling into the tank?

The square top actually has a hole, but it doesn't go through. A pin might just work. I'll check that idea out.
I know now that the oil level is checked with the threaded part of the dipstick flush with the top of the boss.
I think the end of the dipstick hits the bottom of the reservoir and stops it from going on down. Not exactly sure what was stopping it flush originally, but when I backed the plug up, it got a little tighter as it got to the top of the boss.

Before putting a pin in the hole in the square top, check to see if that hole is an air vent for your tank. If it is an air vent there should be a connecting hole on the dipstick side of the plug. My splitter dipstick plug has a vent hole in it.

Also if the unit sits out in the rain water can enter through that vent hole. Put a cover over plug If it sits outside. My vent hole sits at an angle facedown so water cannot easily enter the tank.

Good point! I think I'll leave the hole as is, use the buggered thread method.
Thanks, ETpilot!
Richard
Wrap threads with teflon tape, if it is still vibrating down, weld a 5/8"flat a washer on top of the square and then a nut to the washer to give you a way to turn it. Five minute $5 fix.

My splitter lives in my woodshed, I pull it out to split from the back of my pickup, then put it back. Never gets rained on.
Wrap threads with teflon tape, if it is still vibrating down, weld a 5/8"flat a washer on top of the square and then a nut to the washer to give you a way to turn it. Five minute $5 fix.
Teflon seems like a good and inexpensive way. Worth a try. I will now check the dipstick position after every splitting session.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back