Wood splitter in horizontal position

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mayhem100

mayhem100

ArboristSite Guru
No right or wrong answer to the vertical vs horizontal debate. Personally after borrowing a couple Huskee 22 ton splitters that go vertical and running it in both modes, I cannot figure out why anyone every splits horizontally anymore. When I borrow a splitter it goes vertical before I start the motor and I use it that way for everything I split. I find it easier on my body to roll roulnds over to the splitter and stand them on the plate rather than lifting them 2 feet off the ground.

But just because it works well for me doesn't mean it works well for everyone.

djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I built my splitter to operate in both positions and have run it in both but I prefer to split in the vertical position because of my operation method. I stack all my wood on my right, roll it into the splitter, split the piece and toss into the trailer on my left. I sit on a stump most of the time until the pile gets farther away than my wood hook can grab. This method is easier on my back, is a one man operation, does not tire you out with lifting logs, everything gets rolled in and tossed out. I normally do one to two loads a day weather permitting @ 45 min. per load. Gives me time for other projects without being worn out.