Wood Stack Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured you might have made them in that shape. Looks like they would make some good wheel chocks too, or blocks for jacking work! Good idea! I may have to try that with some ash if it will split square. I'm always looking for good blocking. :cheers:

I am officially done with this year's wood. I have a good headstart on next year's wood as well. I have a large deck of 2010 maple ready to cut.
I like being retired; all this freedom! I have plenty of time to cut wood, work on my fences, work on the house...I think I will go bird hunting.

nice shed much better than what I put up
not much of a carpenter here

circular wood stacking

Last year the wood was stacked in rows with the wife and kids helping. They complained the whole time about it being a pain to stack it without the row leaning or falling over.

This year we stacked the wood in a circular/cylinder shape and so far no complaints or tipping piles from my helpers.

The pile in the picture is 5ft tall and 10ft in diameter. Rough calculation on the amount of wood in the pile so far is 9.4 face cords. Looking to top the pile off with another foot or two of wood. I've got enough split wood to start another pile, so we'll see how this circular stacking holds up through the season.

I would be interested to know if you stacked wood vertically inside the wood "ring" also. I made one with vertical stacking in April 2009 and broke it down this week and the wood was still damp. How is yours comming?

One of my stacks kept falling over, I couldn't figure it out, I tried every shape emaginable.
One evening, I found out why; one of our resident Blacktails was scratching her backside on it. Turns out her yearlings were too. I had to move the pile closer to the house.:greenchainsaw:

This wing is not full yet, I must first burn the two rows from last year then i can fill it up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This stack is about thirty feet long and seven foot high.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hard to beat a pile of just oak. I've got too much poplar and sassafras (about 10%) to suit me. I probably won't even mess with cutting more of it this year although I've got a ton of it in the woods.

I like the smell of red oak when I'm cutting it; if I recall, it smells a little like wine?

I used to pull the $10.00 WC permit on FT. Bragg, back then, I thought a truckload of red oak was a lot.

Heck, I was home less than 100 days a year for five years anyway, not like I had much time for cutting...

Do you all feel that putting the splits in a building dries it out faster or is it just for the convenience of being covered during the burning season?

I just have mine in a heap off a conveyor and put it in a stack or sell it and then it is covered just prior to burning. Never had a complaint.

Do you all feel that putting the splits in a building dries it out faster or is it just for the convenience of being covered during the burning season?

I just have mine in a heap off a conveyor and put it in a stack or sell it and then it is covered just prior to burning. Never had a complaint.
It will last longer if kept dry, Also always having dry wood is nice. Mine stays covered for the lasting part. I used to store it outside but if i had a lot of wood, some of it would get punky before using it. Now if you're just cutting enough for one winter then it's fine outside and if you keep the top covered it will last a lot longer. My problem was that storms kept blowing my tops away.lol

It will last longer if kept dry, Also always having dry wood is nice. Mine stays covered for the lasting part. I used to store it outside but if i had a lot of wood, some of it would get punky before using it. Now if you're just cutting enough for one winter then it's fine outside and if you keep the top covered it will last a lot longer. My problem was that storms kept blowing my tops away.lol

I pressure treat my wood :hmm3grin2orange:

You may be correct in regards to fungi degrading the wood and not being able to perform very well (the fungi) with no moisture.

But you lose the drying ability of sunlight for seasoning and I think humidity is captured under the roof and unable to rise and move away if covered.

Whole lot more work and resources necessary as well. Me, I am gonna put it in a huge heaping pile and when I deliver it I tell the client to cover it for a week if raining and I do the same with what I take home for my WBF.

I would be interested to know if you stacked wood vertically inside the wood "ring" also. I made one with vertical stacking in April 2009 and broke it down this week and the wood was still damp. How is yours comming?

The wood I mentioned that was damp was the wood in the center, the outer right dried well, especially for up in northwest Wisconsinhttp://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Not exactly a stack, but I thought I would share what I got done today. Here's a pic of half of the two cord load I had delivered the other day. The next pic is of the other half already cut and split. This is all red oak that I split small to sell as firewood for those cute little patio burners..:)

100_0168.jpg

100_0167.jpg

I have the splitter blocked up for one to keep it from being "liberated", and also to save my back. Why do they make them so small..? Big part of my splitter build will be not stooping to split.

Not exactly a stack, but I thought I would share what I got done today. Here's a pic of half of the two cord load I had delivered the other day. The next pic is of the other half already cut and split. This is all red oak that I split small to sell as firewood for those cute little patio burners..:)

I have the splitter blocked up for one to keep it from being "liberated", and also to save my back. Why do they make them so small..? Big part of my splitter build will be not stooping to split.

Cool idea with the stands and also with selling to a niche market (patio burners)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back