Wood Wolf log splitter...SS knockoff anyone use one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When my tax refund gets here I need a splitter...time is precious to me but a new Super Split is out of the budget....saw some guys talking about the Wood Wolf knockoff a while back...I'm pretty interested but would like to hear from someone who has one? Anyone touch one of these?
I also like that I can get this somewhat stripped down and do my own hitch, wheels etc....if I go hydraulic I'll probably build my own I have a full fab shop but I do like the speed of these which is making me think twice about hydraulic...

Anyone use a wood wolf?

http://thewoodwolf.com/index.html

I'll give you a bump on this one.

I've mentioned the WW a couple of times in the past and I've never really had anyone express must interest. The was one guy not to long ago that said he was going to look into one (the thread was here in the firewood section), but I never heard any more on it.

I own a SS myself, but if I were on a limited budget, I'd buy a WW before I bought a traditional hydraulic splitter (I don't think I'll own another one of those!). The early WW products looked very rough, but the most recent pictures and products show on their website like much better. In fact the splitter looks almost identical to the SS, other than the production table, which I really like on the SS.

Good luck and keep us posted if you buy one! :cheers:

yeah thanks, I saw that guy said he bought one...but with 1 post I wasn't to sure...I see he's been on here since then so mabye I'll check with him.
Thought there was another post on here where people in the area said they saw them at dealers???? Anyone?

I'm still waiting to see either of these machines splitting the knarly stuff

Don't know if this helps,

and I sure don't want to start a brand war.

Three of the local dealers are having "end of season" sales on in stock Timberwolfs. My neighbor is looking to replace his TSC 35 ton unit. They are not knocking off a lot maybe around 10%.

Might be worth a couple phone calls in your area.

Food for thought.

Take Care

I believe you guys about the SS- but I have yet to see a video showing the SS challenged- everytrhing is small and nice and straight- where is the challenge. The other thing that bothers me- the SS is always wobbeling when you see the videos of splitting the small stuff= somebody prove me wrong.

:greenchainsaw:

E-mail is Dead

I wrote an e-mail to Wood Wolf and it died (no Yahoo address). The website also no longer shows the video.

Is this company still in business or being sued by Super Split for violation of patent law? Forum please advise and TIA. :dizzy:

I wrote an e-mail to Wood Wolf and it died (no Yahoo address). The website also no longer shows the video.

Is this company still in business or being sued by Super Split for violation of patent law? Forum please advise and TIA. :dizzy:

The website still shows the video if you click on the "movie" link from the index page. You will need quicktime to view.

http://thewoodwolf.com/

I looked at the video, and I learned something.

I learned that company is dishonest.

I'm not arguing the design against a conventional hydraulic - obviously it IS faster.

But they did their movie with a very small hydraulic, and then they throttled it way down to make their machine look even better. NO hydraulic is THAT slow.

It might be a good machine, it might not. I don't know.

But I know I'd never buy from them. If you have to stage phony comparisons to show off your product, you aren't getting my money.

I'm not sure about the throttled down thing but I've seen hydraulics close to that slow...did they pick the fastest hydraulic out there..no..but I don't think that hyraulic is that radically slower than some I've seen.

Anyway I found one member on here who has one and is happy with it, split a few cords with it and seems to be happy with the company/owner. It's a small company for sure. My email hasn't been returned yet either which I don't like but the person who already has one said his email didn't get returned either but sounds like they/he prefers the phone...I'm not a fan of that in today's age but it's not a deal breaker for me either.

I'm not sure about the throttled down thing but I've seen hydraulics close to that slow...did they pick the fastest hydraulic out there..no..but I don't think that hyraulic is that radically slower than some I've seen.

Anyway I found one member on here who has one and is happy with it, split a few cords with it and seems to be happy with the company/owner. It's a small company for sure. My email hasn't been returned yet either which I don't like but the person who already has one said his email didn't get returned either but sounds like they/he prefers the phone...I'm not a fan of that in today's age but it's not a deal breaker for me either.

Hey Slick? I am the member you were talking about. Did you ever reach Gordon at Wood Wolf? I got to get out there and get splitting with mine soon.

I have yet to see a video showing the SS challenged- everything is small and nice and straight- where is the challenge.

They did their movie with a very small hydraulic, and then they throttled it way down to make their machine look even better. NO hydraulic is THAT slow.

I was thinking the same things, that movie is plainly rigged...

On the other hand, if that wood is representative of what you usually split, and you have a hydraulic splitter with a 6 OPM (ounce per minute) pump, then it may be an accurate representation of what you will experience.

Ian

Hey Slick? I am the member you were talking about. Did you ever reach Gordon at Wood Wolf? I got to get out there and get splitting with mine soon.

Hey there :) Still haven't called but I will, haven't bought a splitter yet but I will...hopefully it works out with Gordon and the Wolf...I got the money set aside but got onto other things this spring and was in a mode shopping for a mini-skid steer which I just picked up yesterday :) so the splitter is still on the list...got a ton of stuff in still in rounds right now.

Happy so far

I've had mine since 10/08 and have split about 2 cords with it so far. I think it's a great machine and splits wood very fast and efficient. I have split some knarly stuff and it can take a few times to get through it but I expect that. The machine must be on fairly level ground to work well. Because of the speed, I am able to split the wood into smaller pieces quickly which allows it to dry faster.

Since you live in the Lakes Region, Barnstead, NH is not too far from you. Gordon at Wood Wolf will be happy to give you a demo of it's operation. If you can live knowing that most of the components come from China, the price can't be beat.

Mark

Thankyou for you post Mark, I thought maybe it had a Chinese engine. I thought about checking them out. I know they cost alot less than the super split.I do have this bad habit about purchasing things on the whim.So I didn't want to go over there with out reading some reviews on them. Thank again:cheers:

Thankyou for you post Mark, I thought maybe it had a Chinese engine. I thought about checking them out. I know they cost alot less than the super split.I do have this bad habit about purchasing things on the whim.So I didn't want to go over there with out reading some reviews on them. Thank again:cheers:

It is a Chinese engine but I think most Honda engines are assembled in China. Gordon buys them from the plant that assembles them for Honda. All the parts are interchangeable with Honda parts. It looks and runs like a 6.5 horse Honday engine. I've been very happy so far and he has sold quite a few.

Mark

Back