Woods saw / Race Saw, what's the dif

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Jack, glad you like the site. We actually do play well together. It's just that we take turns stirring things up when things get slow.
I think this week it is DC's and Franks turn to be jerks and liers. Last week it was RJS and my turn.:jester:
John

Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thank you, thank you, gypo and denis; what a resounding endorsement! There certainly are some people who I hope never to be on the same wavelength with! You guys are exemplary.

Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
What makes a good woodsaw for one person might not be good for another perhaps. If a person is going to run long bars and likes to push hard on sometimes dull chain, I think they dont want a saw that is changed a whole lot from stock. Too much chance of heating them up. Now if someone is limbing a lot and cutting small wood, not heavy handed and really prides in keeping sharp chain, they can run a saw that has its compression and power curve pumped up quite a bit. Still a good woods saw for that use. Give it to the other person and it wont suit their job and style. I remember it being discussed here a few years ago to make sure that you and the builder really know what is needed when the decisions are made about the saw. It gets really hard to say whether a certain saw is or is not a woods saw especially since it means different things to different people.

stihlatit

stihlatit

Addicted to ArboristSite
Acton On Canada surrounded by stihl waters
Crofter said:
Darin, from your posts, it seems there is not much question about your value system;the $ sign trumphs the cross every time. Interesting too how the bible comes to hand for your convenience.
It Seems it is also OK to sanction harassment if it is good for post count. If the person does not respond to it, well then it must be a sure sign of guilt and adequate reason to let the harassment expand and continue. (rather weak and convenient logic). If a person irritates YOU, it is OK to make disparaging and insinuating remarks about them. That is clear from your words even if you subsequently attempt to pass it off as a simple business evalution.
The direction of an institution comes from the Captain, not the helmsmen; Its value system, and how it deals with individuals rights, reflects this. THE BIG KAHUNA HAS SPOKEN!

Spoton Crofter that has been my experience here so far.

stihlatit

stihlatit

Addicted to ArboristSite
MS-310 said:
I dont want to piss anyone off but i love this site, it has been very helpful to me and alot of my friends. So I think you guys should just be cool with each other and use your brains to help people like me with little brains about saws. I like this site and the people on it so "cant we all just get along"

Jack.

Frank welcome to the site. We really do love one another. We just have a funny way of showing it.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

donnyman

donnyman

ArboristSite Operative
Im with Frank Crofter on this one.From my many years of fixing and selling saws and dealing with people running saws ,most have a hard time running stock saws never mind something that has been hoped up.Most dont even know have much oil to mix with there gas or what ratio to run there saw at.And also most dont know the dif between wood, sand, or rocks and some of these people are trying to cut wood for a liveing.You can try and educate on fileing chains and clean and proper gas mix keeping there saws blow out.Ah hell you way as well be talkin to the moon.It goes right over there heads.Just my expierence over 45 years.Don.:bang:

timberwolf

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
What is the upper compression limit of a woods saw still runing priemium pump gas?

Many stock saws come in in the range of 160psi, certainly this build in some safety margin for being bogged in the cut run dirty and in hot weather.

180 PSI I know has proven fine maybe 200 PSI ?

Even pushed a small cc saw to almost 300 PSI and it still would run on gas for a couple min without getting too hot.

Mr.

being watched
It looks like you answered your own question.

What compression reading does it become more ADVANTAGEOUS to run Alcohol?

Fred

That's a feasible question.

timberwolf

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
No doubt alky and high compression go together as long as % nitro is not too high.

But I guess my question is more what is the practicle limit for compression still keeping the saw usable in the woods?

timberwolf

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok well then that depends on how much nitro is in the headspace. Static compression might be as low as 6:1 but dynamic compression with a blower runing 50-60 psi of boost and a headspace half filled with liquid fuel it will be runing very high numbers at RPM.

stihlatit

stihlatit

Addicted to ArboristSite
timberwolf said:
In the same order as a flat head ford from back in the 50s.

Mr. said:
I said compression reading not ratio. With a huffer that big there is a lot of air to compress.

Fred

Not being smart, just want people to think.

He was not even giving you ratio. He was giving you firing order when you asked him for compression.:dizzy:

Mr.

being watched
stihlatit said:
He was not even giving you ratio. He was giving you firing order when you asked him for compression.:dizzy:

He understood what I meant. Maybe you can ask him to explain it.

Fred

When we speak in analogies we walk in the clouds. Mr. Fred

vharrison2

vharrison2