Would it kill ya!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up this 38 cc old craftsman(poulan in disguise) pretty cheap off EBAY. Went thru it with new piston/rings/several gaskets/fuel line/filter /honed the cylinder. All assembled it wouldn't pop a lick. Finally figured out the flywheel was not correct for the saw. Anyway, I saw a similar saw on EBAY last night and ask ed the guy to remove recoil side and read the numbers on flywheel to make sure its the one I need. Here's my question/and his answer.

You asked:
"would you be willing to pull the pull cord recoil cover off and give me the number on the flywheel? Should be a Phelon and then five digit number. Tks. Tom"

Sorry, I really don't have time for that. Thanks, iwbeis1

Unbelievable. Its 3 freakin screws. I hope this isn't anyone on this site. :alien:

Man, that guy MUST be lazy. if he doesnt define that term, I dont know WHAT does. you're right, its 3 frikkin screws, thats not asking much to simply read the numbers off a flywheel for you.

In his defense, some sellers take pics of an item, then box it for shipment and weigh it for quoting shipping rates. Perhaps this is the case here. If not, yep, he's LAZY.
-Ralph

I always hear about E-bay. Question-why not buy Huskys or Stihls instead of saws of marginal quality and a non pro type? If you are going to all that trouble and using your skills to rebuild it, why not something cool like a 266xp or an 056 or a 2100? Not slagging just wondering, when I learn more I would like to do this too.

That old relabelled Poulan might be

a quality saw. Nothing wrong with finding relabelled sleepers. I hope to be posting some photos next week of a certain sleeper that I spotted :Eye: ; more info will follow.

I notice that a lot of ebay sellers don't have anything to with saws. They get 'em at estate sales, auctions, forfeited storage unit sales, unpaid pawn shop loans, etc. One of the resale shops that I frequent gets a lot of their items from storage unit auctions. As I understand it, they have to bid on everything in the unit, no picking & choosing. The fellows say that they're lucky if 10% of the stuff is suitable for resale.

Last edited:
scottr said:
Tom , I've met people that not only didn't own tools but would not try to use one . He could be a sales type that has no interest in using a tool . We might say that he travels to the smell of a different tuna .

We might say that he travels to the smell of a different tuna.

That is a great saying Scott. Can I use that one sometime? I dont know why that cracks me up but it does.

Well, I've disclosed that I'm an accountant by day in my profile. So I guess I could be typed as a pencil pushin eye shade wearer. But since I can turn a wrench,screwdriver, etc I assume most anyone can. The funny part of his answer was just that "didn't have time for that". I think I'll time myself on those three screws tonight....blindfolded.

gumneck said:
You asked:
"would you be willing to pull the pull cord recoil cover off and give me the number on the flywheel? Should be a Phelon and then five digit number. Tks. Tom"

Sorry, I really don't have time for that. Thanks, iwbeis1

Unbelievable. Its 3 freakin screws. I hope this isn't anyone on this site. :alien:

Tom, You could have offered him a couple of bucks for his time. I'm not sure why the seller is the lazy one because it doesn't sound as though you have an interest in buying his saw. I know he looks lazy but he may be less experienced than you. Or, he may have other things to do. You might be able to find another seller who's willing to take his saw apart for you or just contact Sears and see if you could get the number from them. I recently got a bit pissed at an ebay seller because he wouldn't combine freight on multiple shipments. He wouldn't answer my questions even. Turns out he's a high volume seller who has his system automated. I still do buisness with him because his prices are awesome.
John............

clearance said:
I always hear about E-bay. Question-why not buy Huskys or Stihls instead of saws of marginal quality and a non pro type? If you are going to all that trouble and using your skills to rebuild it, why not something cool like a 266xp or an 056 or a 2100? Not slagging just wondering, when I learn more I would like to do this too.

Clearance

I dont use as a pro or in a daily use scenario. I would say I'm a heavy use homeowner. I chose this saw originally b/c my dad has one identical and I thought for twenty bucks he could have some parts to keep his going. When I got it I was surprised how good and intact everthing was. Decided I would try rebuilding topend(never tried before so I thought it would be good experience). This saw is over twenty-five years old,its 38cc,its super light(to me),and all metal/magnesium. IMO, its as good a saw as what is on the market today and the price differential makes up for any non-HUSKY/STIHL quality.Also, I was using my dads(same saw) when I started using a saw(with his supervision of course)...maybe 81'82(12yrs old) so I figured I've brought back a little piece of my history as it relates to chainsaws(super hokey I know). Anyway this saw will make a great climbing saw when I put a 14" bar on it. I've got other saws. I'll have about $75.00 total in this saw. I would much rather pay that than whatever the HUSKY/STIHL similar cc saw costs. I have some other similar saws I want to redo the topend on, maybe you might like to purchase one of them when I'm done to see if they would work for you?
Now I will run and take cover.

whatsnext said:
Tom, You could have offered him a couple of bucks for his time. I'm not sure why the seller is the lazy one because it doesn't sound as though you have an interest in buying his saw. I know he looks lazy but he may be less experienced than you. Or, he may have other things to do. You might be able to find another seller who's willing to take his saw apart for you or just contact Sears and see if you could get the number from them. I recently got a bit pissed at an ebay seller because he wouldn't combine freight on multiple shipments. He wouldn't answer my questions even. Turns out he's a high volume seller who has his system automated. I still do buisness with him because his prices are awesome.
John............

You confuse me. I had to be interested in the saw to ask him a question....right. I didn't just want to know the number of the flywheel. I already know the number that my saw needs and checked the sears site after I found out my dad's flywheel works. I asked b/c his saw may contain the wrong flywheel just like the one I got that's in question here. I dont need another wrong flywheel. I'm not pissed at him, I think its frikkin hilarious that a person cant turn three screws at the request of a possible customer, just b/c they dont have the time. You dont find that funny, you dont think he looks lazy. You are welcome to your own analysis.

ccs said:
What model of poulan saw is it?I have a s25da that I can look at if thats the number you need.

I appreciate your interest. I'm sort of thinking that will have the same flywheel as the one I have that is wrong. I dont know that for a fact but my dad has parts for an s25 da I believe and the flywheel is the same as mine(the wrong one). I'll post the number I need when I get home.

Just to add, I have a Poulan XXVDeluxe that has the correct flywheel for the red craftsman 2.3 in question. That saw will get new rings and I'll get rid of it. Its got new oiler system,carb kit,fuel line/filter as well.

gumneck said:
You confuse me. I had to be interested in the saw to ask him a question....right. I didn't just want to know the number of the flywheel. I already know the number that my saw needs and checked the sears site after I found out my dad's flywheel works. I asked b/c his saw may contain the wrong flywheel just like the one I got that's in question here. I dont need another wrong flywheel. I'm not pissed at him, I think its frikkin hilarious that a person cant turn three screws at the request of a possible customer, just b/c they dont have the time. You dont find that funny, you dont think he looks lazy. You are welcome to your own analysis.
Ton, I'm not sure why you would be confused. I just reread your original post. Nowhere did you mention that you wanted to buy the sellers saw, just that you wanted the number off the flywheel. Perhaps the seller, like me, can't read minds. If the seller ever asks you for a favor I think you would be quite justified in turning him down.
John........

John,

I must be the only guy not getting it.

But I never logged into ebay, searched for a product, waded thru all the hits, found the product, clicked on the link to ask seller a question, then typed the question if I didn't intend to be a bidder.

From now on, I will tell them that "I am asking this question with the intent of buying your item" so their will be no more mind reading.

gumneck said:
But I never logged into ebay, searched for a product, waded thru all the hits, found the product, clicked on the link to ask seller a question, then typed the question if I didn't intend to be a bidder.

I have. Sometimes I am just curious about an item.

na just tellim the truth . its always better to stay with the truth. ok preaching mode off. but the whole saW AINT worth lieing about.. jmo

Most sellers on e-bay won't give you the time of day. This has been my experience anyway, some are real nice and return e-mails promptly, you remember those sellers. I have maybe sent out a total of 25 e-mails, maybe have gotten 5 replies, the ones that have replied know their business when it comes to saws and sell good parts or good used saws.

Some of these sellers just plain don't know what they are selling and so probaly can't answer your questions anyway. I asked a basic question about the pitch of a chain on a Mac, seller didn't know, just said it looked big :dizzy:

Larry

I ask questions quite often on ebay. In fact, I only buy the item for about 1 out of 5 inquiries sent out. Selling on Ebay, I typically have anywhere from 3 to 10 emails per item.

Time is money. I can perfectly understand why someone would not want to go out and disassemble the saw for every email that comes in. That doesn't mean they're lazy--it simply means they have other priorities. You're an accountant, so you should have heard of opportunity cost, no? How much is a used Poulan going to sell for? How much time is a used Poulan worth investing for a possible bidder? I would say not a heck of a lot for anyone who actually has a life and works for a living. A used Poulan is a "pays your money and takes your chances" type of proposition.

I have a couple dealings with the seller you listed. All I can say at this point is he knows nothing about saws and has VERY poor bookeeping/organizational skills.

Bill

Back