Would you take this for FireWood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi yall! Greetings from the South! Over the past couple of months, we have been getting tons and tons of stainless plate by the truck load. All that plate is stacked on hard wood blocks, cut about 4"x4"x8' long. Some of it looks to be red oak, some I have no idea what it is other than some kinda hard wood. Below is a photo of the big stack of 8'ers, and a pallet with a bunch of blocks cut 42"-54" long. We do not use them at work, and commonly when the rack gets full, somebody cuts them up and throws them in the dumpster. Would this work for firewood? I had herd at one time that they get sprayed with chemicals to preserve them. Sure would be easy to cut to length and stack with no splitting required!

I doubt that they would be sprayed with chemical. Why waste money on treating a throw-away item?

Harry K

Build stuff or Sell before Burning them !! Those are some nice timbers.

There was a millwork shop nearby that would throw out their rips and boards like that too that they couldn't grind down into wood chips for the local farms. I miss not having that place nearby any longer.

From the photos it looks like dunnage to me, which is poor quality rough sawn material used under loads so they are easily unloaded from trucks, train cars, whatever. Most often not good for building material. Put them by the road with a price on them, if they're still there in a few weeks cut them up. Watch for nails and bolts!

They are probably hard wood and unless there locust would last only a year or 2 at the most if put in the ground. Where is the stainless coming from?I know the local steel mill here buys hardwood to transport their steel on,because of the weight of the steel it does not crush like pine.Almost all of the wood is oak,so if you are going to use it above ground away from the dirt it would be okay to build with.If not it will make great firewood that will burn hot if seasoned well.

Latest posts

Back