Y'all gonna be this good at 71?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fast enough to me! You use a wirecore? That looks mighty close to your lanyard but I guess you get used to it.

I use a wire core. Lanyard is 2 years old and hasn't been nicked yet. Hotel just told me on Friday that in 2013 they will be cutting down most of the old palms and replacing them with new ones. All the new ones we don't spike. Looks like about 100+ are going to go, which translates into mucho $$$, but they got lots of money. They have budgeted $546 million for major renovations to the hotel, including building an 8th tower. Largest hotel in Hawaii with 3000 rooms and 22 acres.

KOA Man, What kind of blade is that on your machete? It looks bad ass!

My dad was stationed in Hawaii when he was in the Air Force. He told me about seeing Hawaiians and Japanese guys hunting wild pigs with machetes while he was there.

The knife is a Martindale cane knife made in England and sells for less than $18 here. I welded a hook on the top of the blade to snag the seed pods that are out of my reach. I painted part of the blade white to make it easier to see when it is on the ground. Martindale makes a huge variety of different styles, the one I use is model 1006.

I'll be 62 in 4 months and feel like I could keep climbing with high productivity for a few more years. I don't get exhausted doing
regular canopy type trees. Palms are far more exhausting, but here is a video of me trimming a palm in September. One contract climber I use on occaision, age 40, told me that was world class speed. LOL. I know I am faster now than I was a few years ago.

Got ya by 10 months! I really haven't slowed down all that much..can still pull a 10-12 hour day, and get to the end of most any limb. Never stop improving, so that means I'm better than ever, if not faster. And the Wraptor saves my azz on those long multiple climb conifer days! or any tree for that matter.

Not sure I'll go forward with my goal to ski off a 30 foot cliff into deep powder when I'm 70 or not....but we'll see.

Here's the start of a 46"dbh cedar that we had to crane out, brush and all, as it had a deck around it, with a flimsy plastic roof over much of it. Rather difficult, had to sling up to 12 limbs at a time to speed things up. The logs, even at 16-20 feet, were too heavy and wide to crane out, brush on. As it was, the bottom 18 feet weighed 7500 lb, a bit above what the 23 tonner was good for at the 30 foot radius. But we got it.
213383d1324871377-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-0005_resize-jpg

And this, the largest tree to be removed in the area in 13 years, most certainly, a 10.5 foot at ground level, 158 foot tall giant sequoia..98 years young
4724555044_6f975a3a46_o.jpg

This butt section weighed 6500 lb! Sequoia in spring is loaded with water, weighs as much as oak, or close
4724534392_59387047dc_o.jpg

Last edited:
59, and still climbing for my company, and others. Getting ready to take down a 70' dead Red Oak in my back yard, solo. I can't afford my own guys. That's how tight money now is, thanks to the drought that was down here. Half a million trees died from it, but you know how HO's are: "If that tree is dead, it's not bothering me!" I suppose when those dead trees start falling, in a few more months, I'll have all the work I can handle---knock on (dead) wood!

rbtree:
Got ya by 10 months! I really haven't slowed down all that much..can still pull a 10-12 hour day, and get to the end of most any limb.

Yeah Roger, I think us old guys got it all over these young kids. I don't like working on big trees any more. I hate pulling long lenghts of rope and carrying big saws. Too old for that.....LOL.

Got ya by 10 months! I really haven't slowed down all that much..can still pull a 10-12 hour day, and get to the end of most any limb. Never stop improving, so that means I'm better than ever, if not faster. And the Wraptor saves my azz on those long multiple climb conifer days! or any tree for that matter.

Not sure I'll go forward with my goal to ski off a 30 foot cliff into deep powder when I'm 70 or not....but we'll see.

Here's the start of a 46"dbh cedar that we had to crane out, brush and all, as it had a deck around it, with a flimsy plastic roof over much of it. Rather difficult, had to sling up to 12 limbs at a time to speed things up. The logs, even at 16-20 feet, were too heavy and wide to crane out, brush on. As it was, the bottom 18 feet weighed 7500 lb, a bit above what the 23 tonner was good for at the 30 foot radius. But we got it.
213383d1324871377-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-0005_resize-jpg

And this, the largest tree to be removed in the area in 13 years, most certainly, a 10.5 foot at ground level, 158 foot tall giant sequoia..98 years young
4724555044_6f975a3a46_o.jpg

This butt section weighed 6500 lb! Sequoia in spring is loaded with water, weighs as much as oak, or close
4724534392_59387047dc_o.jpg
Now that is a big stump!
I will be lucky if I get in 2 more years. Body is damaged beyond repair, I am sure I'll be in a walker or wheel chair before I am 60. I could be getting shot at, so I'll quit complaining!
What kind of top handle is that?

Friend of mine over this way is 72 and still climbing as well......whenever he wants to.......I recently started picking his brain as he has a degree from UMass Amherst in Arboriculture. He is no stranger to both saving em, and taking them down. I'm jealous cause last time I saw him he said "Well, I'm headed to my house in Florida after this bigass beech removal is finished......see you guys in March."

Now THAT's how I want to be when I'm 72......

The mind drives the body ...

... I will be lucky if I get in 2 more years. Body is damaged beyond repair, I am sure I'll be in a walker or wheel chair before I am 60. I could be getting shot at, so I'll quit complaining!...

My motorcycle wreck two years ago left me with 8 broken ribs, a broken and separated collarbone, fractured shoulder blade, and cracked sternum. The worst part was the lacerated spleen and the internal bleeding. The LifeFlight in the helicopter cost $10.480 but was worth it 'cause I would have bleed out if I had laid there unconscious for an hour more. Six months later I broke my back falling off a log onto a small stump.

Now I climb more than I did before the accident because my business has really taken off since the wreck. I drive my body to it's limits and beyond everyday I work now, yet I never feel any better than when I am in the tree. It's only after I get home that the pain of my injuries really sets in.

Perhaps that's why I can get cranky at times when taking flack from the peanut gallery here.

Just because your reckless ways have been catching up to you, don't think we're gonna be taking it easy on you old man. We are gonna see this thing with you right through to the bitter end. Just saying.

And happy new year!! :buttkick:

6606644197_d5be90d2f6_b.jpg

And a Happy New Year to you too!

stand in front of that thing a little longer, maybe the wife will come by and pull the trigger. Not sure what gun it is but that site is as big a piece of crap as those knives you posted.

Remington 1100 with a red dot sight ...

... Not sure what gun it is but that site is as big a piece of crap as those knives you posted.

Just an 1100 with a slug barrel on it, the red dot is for fast target acquisition not extreme accuracy, although it does pattern nicely out to 100 meters if you figure in 6 inches of drop at that range. For 50 meter shots it's dead bang on, a ragged one inch hole goes right where the dot appears on the target.

Sadly I don't think I can shoulder it any more since my accident. I had to give up my .300 WinMag because I couldn't handle the recoil any more with my right shoulder and I've never been that good shooting left handed.

Last edited:
dude yur a freaking idiot, that is a threat isnt it S-O-M? Your like a south american dictator with all those self awarded medals.

You should back up a few feet, that way you can get a running start to go F yourself

Your nothing but a jerkface

No threat implied, just joking around sgreenbeans.

I hope I am dead, or have something better to do by the time I'm your age. Really guy, hanging around an internet forum all day trying to piss people off and drag it down, because everybody hates you (you're own fault, and no going back now), I mean that's pretty pathetic. I get it, this is like a vendetta for you now, because you were found out to be a lying fake/didn't fit in etc., etc., but it's just pathetic now really. I seriously wish you would just do yourself a favor and leave man, there's no entertainment left, and you have nothing to offer us. Just go.. honestly, maybe you should make that your resolution!

Last edited:
dude yur a freaking idiot, that is a threat isnt it S-O-M? Your like a south american dictator with all those self awarded medals.

You should back up a few feet, that way you can get a running start to go F yourself

Your nothing but a jerkface

Well I would feel threatened but after seeing his choice of weapons it is plainly obvious that he has no idea how to use any of them so threat is diminished. Besides even if he wanted to do something in 10 15 minutes he will wet his diaper again and his home heathcare aide will come change him (guessing that is the one in the picture he thinks is his wife... you know the one that resembles Frodo). With all the excitement he will forget all about it.
images

Last edited:
Back