Yet another fuel Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Another Bucker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here in NJ [northern] it seems that every gas station has a sticker on the pump that says may contain ethanol. I'm told that ethanol has replaced MBTE as the agent used for oxygenation. Is this fuel E-10 or something else? Also all of my 2-stroke equipment that had mixture limiting stops mysteriously lost them and I make sure its all tuned right as I carry a small screwdriver at all times and fresh fuel 93 octane 32:1 in the old stuff [early eighties] stihl orange at 50:1 in the new stuff. Please advise...

Gas

I have been seeing more problems with the use of ethenol in the gas.A lot of scoring and piston siezing in the cylinder on both 2 and 4 stroke engines

Racing gas

Near my house there is a Shell station that has a pump labled "racing gas". I believe it is leaded gas, probably higher octane. If you look in your yellow pages you might find a station that sells leaded, non-ethanol gas for vintage car buffs, etc. I guess if you have a cat converter on your saw that wouldn't be a good idea.

Here in M.N. we are blessed with 10% ethenol in most of our fuel.The biggest issue I have ran into is storage.I do not like to let my fuel set for more then 2 months.As far as saws or any of my other toys I run them dry before storage I do not believe in stable it kills the octane in the fuel.I have found that fuel left to evaporate in the carb bowl or diaphram with ethenol will leave a nice hard to get out white crust (mabey it turns back into corn).As far as performace my saws have been running great.I realize everyone has there own 2 cents but this is what has worked for me over the years.

Saws and other OPE need to be retuned richer if you run Ethanol based gas. 10% ethanol will lean out the mixture and raise you WOT RPMs 800-1000 on most saws.

If you were determined, you COULD get the alcohol out of the gas. Add water to the gas, the alcohol tries to absorb the water to point of saturation then the water/alcohol mix seperates fron the gas. Get the water out of the gas and the alcohol goes with it. There is a filter funnel that will pass gasoline but trap water. What to do with the alcohol and water is another story.

I don't know I'm asking. So what is the real trouble
with the ethanol in gas? Is the real problem that
ethanol (alcohol) will mix with water, oil will not.
So if you have water in your alcohol pre-mix and
let your saw sit for some time, the water mixed
with the alcohol will settle to the bottom of the fuel tank
and this mix of water and alcohol still run in your saw.
Where as before we had alcohol in gas, if you had water in the gas, the saw
would not run. But now with the alcohol in gas, the water
and alcohol will keep the saw running, but water and oil don't
mix, so it burns up your saw.

Gary

Water and alcohol are each bad for a 2 cycle engine. Both can displace oil and allow the piston to scuff the cylinder. There are oils that are compatible with ethanol.

Thanks. I did some more asking at my usual fueling stops. Seems that all of NJ has E-10 gas [not that all the pumps are labeled] the may contain ethanol label is old.

I run 100LL (100 octane Low Lead) aviation fuel and Stihl oil in all my 2 stroke equipment. They start better, storage is less of an issue, and there is no alcohol in it. The lead may contribute to some added lubrication. I have never had any lead fouling or engine issues of any kind.

Often this is the same as "Blue Racing Fuel" sold in some gas stations.

Bob

Add a little more oil, make sure your carb is set right and you will be fine with a newer saw. An older saw say pre-1995 avoid E-10 gas as it can eat away at seals and other motor parts. You can buy racing fuel with no alcohol buy you gas in NY they do not have the same requirements so not all their gas has alcohol in it. No help in PA they tend to have the same gas at least close to NJ.

At least between april 1st and november 1st you are right all NJ gas has alcohol in it. NO MTBE as it was banned and soon will be in all states as it is an environmental nightmare. during the winter most gas stations carry gas with no alcohol funny thing is this is when at least in cars it would be a good thing (dry gas) to prevent gas line freezing if you happen to get water in your tank.

Latest posts

Back