Yet another "Help me buy a saw" thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So Im thinking about saving up for a new saw. Im looking at actually buying it around August but in the meantime I've been pouring over countless threads on here and I can't seem to make a decision yet. I've got so many model numbers, etc. in my head now that I think this is becoming an all-consuming addiction!

Here's what I want:
Adjustable oiler
rim sprocket
inboard clutch
dealer/aftermarket parts support

I'll be using it to cut firewood almost exclusively. We normally buy a couple truckloads of maple, ash, cherry, and birch logs that have ranged anywhere from 8" to 30" so I want something that can handle some decent sized firewood when it needs to. Right now my father-in-law has a Pioneer p-40 that has cut TONS of wood over the last 35 years he's owned it, but parts are scarce.

I don't really have a size class in mind but I'm leaning toward 50cc that can pull an 18" b/c no problem. I've been eying the Dolmar 420 (yea I know its only 42cc), Makita DCS510, and I've read some good things about the Husky 353 on here as well. During a recent Game of Logging class I used the instructor's Dolmar but I dont know which model. He was running semi-skip Oregon chain with an 8 tooth sprocket and it cut better than anything I've ever used before, it really sold me on Dolmar chainsaws.

I'd like to stay under $400 if possible so Stihl seems to be beyond my price range unless I can find a good used one somewhere. We've got a 361 at school that I brought home and that was a nice cutting saw. I'd love to get a ported and tuned saw, but see budget limit above:msp_smile:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Eric

Buy a MS 460 R They don,t need any porting or tuning. They are about two times what you would like to spend but they will still be producing twice as long or more than most any saw on the market.

Buy a used pro saw from someone reputable. The old spend money to save money. You can put an ad in here for the one or range of saws you decide upon.

The one saw plan usually means a 60cc saw. Since you like the 361 and it's been universally accepted as a great saw (even Sawtroll approved) you have plenty of time to score
one.

Be patient. You will see saws everywhere once you want one and even more after you buy one.

Buy a 346 from nmurph in the classifieds. Tried and true.......and around $300.

Get the Dolmar 420. It is much more reliable/robust than the Husky or Makita. It will never quite (unless you run it under water:msp_biggrin:)

Buy a MS 460 R They don,t need any porting or tuning. They are about two times what you would like to spend but they will still be producing twice as long or more than most any saw on the market.

I really wish I could swing that, but I have to buy a new car as well. Wife says that's more important right now. I guess shes right this time:msp_biggrin:

If I had to stay under $400, this would be my choice and source...

Inboard clutch?? I'd much rather have an outboard! :msp_wink:

I like the ease of bar and chain removal and installation on the inboard clutch setup.

Eric

Get the Dolmar 420. It is much more reliable/robust than the Husky or Makita. It will never quite (unless you run it under water:msp_biggrin:)

I've read a lot of good info about the 420 on here and it seems to do well with a MM, which I am not opposed to doing to make the saw run better.

Eric

Look for a strong used 60cc saw. It will pull a 20 inch bar very well, whereas a 50cc saw will usually struggle to pull a 20 buried in hardwood, and with some of the logs you described it will be buried indeed some of the time. There are exceptions, and personal preference enters in, but IMO the 60cc saw class is the best all-around class of firewood saws out there.

Any of the best brands of saws will be in your price range lightly used. In my world that's Stihl, so you are in the 036/360/361 class for used saws in your price range. My go-to 60cc saw is actually an 034Super, the forerunner of the 036. I got it used for under $200, and it is STRONG! Also, you might check local dealer support and ask around. Saw brand choice, when talking the good brands, often has more to do with which dealer is the best than with which saw is the best. It's well known that Stihl has the most dealer coverage across the U.S., but there are some really stinky Sihl dealers in the mix, just as with any brand.

Plus, there are people so brand loyal on this forum that they routinely take molehill differences between saw models and make mountains out of them. Sihl, Husky, Dolkita, Jonsered, etc., are all good saw lines. The fact that you loved the way a saw cuts may have more to do with skip vs full comp chain and differences in chain sharpness (not to mention a faster 8-pin sprocket) than with the brand/model of the saw.

MM = muffler mod. The newest saws labor somewhat because of EPA muffler restrictions, and noticeable gains in power are easily had by spending an hour or so opening up the muffler and retuning the H and L screws to compensate. On Stihl saws, they are particularly valuable on the MS designations. The 029 or 036 saws, for example, being older, already have somewhat more open mufflers, so modding won't deliver large power gains, whereas a mod on a MS290 or MS360/361 will wake the saw right up.

Last edited:
Yet another saw/source I've heard alot of good about. Does he port them or just rebuild? I'd like to hear more from nmurph's customers on this. Sounds promising!

Eric

Usually rebuilt and MM'd. I've pushed more than a couple guys in Neal's direction. He does great work and knows the 346 like the back of his hand. When the day comes for me to buy a Husky, it will be from him. I'm sure you won't hear a bad review from anyone.

I have a dolmar 510 with a 20" bar and love it it has never let me down even in some big wood I am going to a 2 saw plan and steppin up to a makita 6401 and will have a 28" bar and 20 for it and a 16 and 20 for the 510 16 will be on the 510 all the time and the 20 on the 6401 most of the time I am trying to get a used 6401 frome home depot rental center hopefully but if not I to will just have wait I looked at all the big name saws before I bought my 510 and it just was the best bang for the buck and I loved the way it felt for me I was in the same budget as you also now I am getting more wood and need another saw

Man 60cc minmum for cutting wood up to 30". A Stihl 360 or 361 can easily be found in excellent shape for 400 bucks. A 50cc saw just can't get it done as good as 60cc. Husky 357 and 359 would work as well if you find one. I just think the 361 is the better saw. May even run into a 362 stihl for around 400. A muff modded 362 is a powerhouse of a 60cc saw, especially after it's been well broken in.

If I was bucking logs like you mentioned, I would'nt even consider a 50cc saw. JMO.

BTW, you can catch great deals on rental Dolkita 6401 at Home Depots and you could buy a fine one for 400 bucks.

Last edited:
Man 60cc minmum for cutting wood up to 30". A Stihl 360 or 361 can easily be found in excellent shape for 400 bucks. A 50cc saw just can't get it done as good as 60cc. Husky 357 and 359 would work as well if you find one. I just think the 361 is the better saw. May even run into a 362 stihl for around 400. A muff modded 362 is a powerhouse of a 60cc saw, especially after it's been well broken in.

If I was bucking logs like you mentioned, I would'nt even consider a 50cc saw. JMO.

BTW, you can catch great deals on rental Dolkita 6401 at Home Depots and you could buy a fine one for 400 bucks.

I dont intend on regularly bucking up 24-30" logs, but we do get them from time to time. Most will be under 20". How do you go about buying a rental from Home Depot? Just ask somebody?

Eric

Back