Yet another "Help me buy a saw" thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont intend on regularly bucking up 24-30" logs, but we do get them from time to time. Most will be under 20". How do you go about buying a rental from Home Depot? Just ask somebody?

Eric

Theres alot of fellows on here that can tell you more about the HD rental saws. The stores near me don't rent them. The 6401 is a 60cc saw that will most likely outpull a 361 stihl. You can also put a 7900 topend on them without changing anything. A 7900 is a bad mofo if you havent already heard. The 6401 is tough enough by itself though.

I just think a 60cc saw will save you alot of time. 50cc saws are limbing saws IMO. If you're bucking logs with any size to them then you'll be alot more happy with a 60cc saw. They can be easily had for 400 bucks in good condition. I always say: if you limitd on your budget, always get the most bang for your buck. :D

I just think a 60cc saw will save you alot of time. 50cc saws are limbing saws IMO. If you're bucking logs with any size to them then you'll be alot more happy with a 60cc saw. They can be easily had for 400 bucks in good condition. I always say: if you limitd on your budget, always get the most bang for your buck. :D

What he said. :)

Cubes count in hardwood. Skip chains can help a smaller motor cope, but cutting time goes up slightly. I'd buy used big saw for the odd big log and new for everything else.

If it's only you and all logs are accessible, you can go with older design w/o brake and be very careful. If others involved, I would stay modern.

I cut up a good amount of 30" wood last year with a 50ish cc. saw and I don't recommend it unless you've got a lot of time to kill.

Cubes count in hardwood. Skip chains can help a smaller motor cope, but cutting time goes up slightly. I'd buy used big saw for the odd big log and new for everything else.

If it's only you and all logs are accessible, you can go with older design w/o brake and be very careful. If others involved, I would stay modern.

Now that's a good thought, that first one. What saw do you have now? Maybe you mentioned that and I missed it. If you have a smaller saw that's still viable, it's a great option for the smaller/medium stuff. I've gotten a couple very strong used MS460 saws for about $400, and they were all set up and ready to cut. Throw a 28-inch bar and chain on a 70cc+ saw for those big logs and you'll never wipe the #### eating grin off your face if it's your first exposure to the 70cc club. :)

If this is the only saw you'll be owning, I default to my original recommendation for a 60cc saw. Great all-around size, those 60cc jobs.

Also, food for further thought. Plenty of fellas are going to absolutely puke when I say this, but if you really want to buy new consider an MS290 with a muffler mod. The 290 is not a pro class saw, which is why a bunch of folks on this forum will say it cuts like poo, but I and many others have used them for years and years and years. Correctly run and well maintained (and with a well dressed bar and sharp chain, good gas and oil) an MS290 will last a very long time. You can run the 56cc+ saw with an 18-inch B&C right out of the box, and once it's broken in and with a muffler mod, that saw will pull a 20-inch bar well. A muff mod really wakes up these saws. Most of them come set up for .325 chain, which is the right bite for that saw. New, they sell for about $360.

Last edited:
I do not know the owner or the saw but there is a 262XP in the for sale section right now for 365.

I recently grabbed a beautiful condition Jonsered 2159 PHO from the ads for 350.00 delivered.

Deals on strong 60cc saws can be had, even if you have to be a little patient.

I saw a local Stihl 044 this morning sell for 350. Great older 70cc saw. I ran one for years as my go to saw.

Bill

Also, food for further thought. Plenty of fellas are going to absolutely puke when I say this, but if you really want to buy new consider an MS290 with a muffler mod. The 290 is not a pro class saw, which is why a bunch of folks on this forum will say it cuts like poo, but I and many others have used them for years and years and years. Correctly run and well maintained (and with a well dressed bar and sharp chain, good gas and oil) an MS290 will last a very long time. You can run the 56cc+ saw with an 18-inch B&C right out of the box, and once it's broken in and with a muffler mod, that saw will pull a 20-inch bar well. A muff mod really wakes up these saws. Most of them come set up for .325 chain, which is the right bite for that saw. New, they sell for about $360.

It's funny you bring this up. My father owned an 029 Farm Boss for many years before (foolishly) selling it on the bay, but it was a cuttin' SOB. We never had a problem with it and on required more gas and oil. Never any problems, but it is a smaller saw compared to the other good recommendations here. Right now I'm waffling between a Dolkita DCS510 and a 346 from nmurph. Of course, between now and when I actually have the cash in had I know I'll change my mind a hundred times:msp_wink:

I have a Homelite Super EZ that I could use for smaller stuff but I recently notice it has a scored piston on the exhaust side. The cylinder still looks good but can you even get pistons for these anymore? Why do they always stop making parts for the good old saws that actually work:angry:

It's funny you bring this up. My father owned an 029 Farm Boss for many years before (foolishly) selling it on the bay, but it was a cuttin' SOB. We never had a problem with it and on required more gas and oil. Never any problems, but it is a smaller saw compared to the other good recommendations here. Right now I'm waffling between a Dolkita DCS510 and a 346 from nmurph. Of course, between now and when I actually have the cash in had I know I'll change my mind a hundred times:msp_wink:

At 56.5cc, the MS290 is larger than several of the good recommendations made on this thread. ;)

At 56.5cc, the MS290 is larger than several of the good recommendations made on this thread. ;)

Yep.

And you may think a 346 or dolmar 5100/510 have plenty of grunt, but they don't. They're awesome limbing saws and good for cutting up some wood but they just don't have what it takes to pull even an 18" bar through 18" logs all day without wearing you out. I hope you'll really consider getting a 60cc saw.

The first saw I bought for firewood was a ms260 which is 50cc. It is a great saw, but it's a limbing saw. I wish I'd have had this advise youre getting. If I had, my first saw would have been a 361. :msp_wink:

going to chime in for the 60cc range here....a used 036pro would do nice. They seem to cut alot of wood for the amount of fuel used. I would still hold out for a "pro" series saw new or used no matter stihl or husky....But i really think 60cc min for a good all round fire wood somtimes big wood saw. good luck!

Find a Home Depot Makita 6401

I would get a Home Depot Makita 6401 with a 20" bar. They sell them after three years of rentals. I just missed one last week. I didn't need a saw but noticed they had one for $220. Went back a week later and it was gone.:msp_sad:

Yep.

And you may think a 346 or dolmar 5100/510 have plenty of grunt, but they don't. They're awesome limbing saws and good for cutting up some wood but they just don't have what it takes to pull even an 18" bar through 18" logs all day without wearing you out. I hope you'll really consider getting a 60cc saw.

The first saw I bought for firewood was a ms260 which is 50cc. It is a great saw, but it's a limbing saw. I wish I'd have had this advise youre getting. If I had, my first saw would have been a 361. :msp_wink:

It indeed is good advice, but I think his budget is going to limit him to 50cc unless he finds a rare deal or a project saw. That's why I suggested the 346. If budget wasn't an issue, then yes, 60cc one-saw plan all day long.

It indeed is good advice, but I think his budget is going to limit him to 50cc unless he finds a rare deal or a project saw. That's why I suggested the 346. If budget wasn't an issue, then yes, 60cc one-saw plan all day long.

Very strong used 60cc pro saws can be had for $400 or less more often than not. Usually just have to go back a generation or two, which is no problem with a pro saw that's been well cared for. New, of course, well, that's not likely to happen. :)

So Im thinking about saving up for a new saw. Im looking at actually buying it around August but in the meantime I've been pouring over countless threads on here and I can't seem to make a decision yet. I've got so many model numbers, etc. in my head now that I think this is becoming an all-consuming addiction!

Here's what I want:
Adjustable oiler
rim sprocket
inboard clutch
dealer/aftermarket parts support

I'll be using it to cut firewood almost exclusively. We normally buy a couple truckloads of maple, ash, cherry, and birch logs that have ranged anywhere from 8" to 30" so I want something that can handle some decent sized firewood when it needs to. Right now my father-in-law has a Pioneer p-40 that has cut TONS of wood over the last 35 years he's owned it, but parts are scarce.

I don't really have a size class in mind but I'm leaning toward 50cc that can pull an 18" b/c no problem. I've been eying the Dolmar 420 (yea I know its only 42cc), Makita DCS510, and I've read some good things about the Husky 353 on here as well. During a recent Game of Logging class I used the instructor's Dolmar but I dont know which model. He was running semi-skip Oregon chain with an 8 tooth sprocket and it cut better than anything I've ever used before, it really sold me on Dolmar chainsaws.

I'd like to stay under $400 if possible so Stihl seems to be beyond my price range unless I can find a good used one somewhere. We've got a 361 at school that I brought home and that was a nice cutting saw. I'd love to get a ported and tuned saw, but see budget limit above:msp_smile:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Eric

this is how slow a 50cc saw is gunna be even a 510 or a 346 ain't much quicker
[video=youtube;tEjbECXtzLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEjbECXtzLw&context=C4208f64ADvjVQa1PpcFNoPlybCSLFdwEfvHdYb7KFyez3T_kE4W0=[/video] it's a ms 260 and a 25" bar so go bigger 60cc or bigger

You can usually find a decent 'looking' 036 on fleabay for around $350, but it's always a gamble on there. You may be buying something with a scored p/c or low compression or shot crank bearings etc. You run that risk of having to spend another $50-$150 in parts. If you're a gambler.......

My luck isn't good enough for that. If I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

You can usually find a decent 'looking' 036 on fleabay for around $350, but it's always a gamble on there. You may be buying something with a scored p/c or low compression or shot crank bearings etc. You run that risk of having to spend another $50-$150 in parts. If you're a gambler.......

My luck isn't good enough for that. If I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

i hear ya on that new or nothing

unless i know the owner

I've had excellent luck buying and selling used saws right here on our own classifieds (formerly the Trading Post.) And people here know what a saw is worth, so a buyer isn't likely to get caught up in ebayauctionfever and pay more than you should. :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back